HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Arizona Coyotes (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Is Tanguay still a possibility? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=665888)

Rabbit 07-21-2009 11:47 PM

Is Tanguay still a possibility?

Or someone along the lines of Tanguay? The Vrbata trade through most of us off guard, but do you think this is the best we are going to get, or is there a possibility of signing someone with an equal or greater skill level? (RT ANALYSIS WANTED) ;)

Tbone54 07-22-2009 12:02 AM

Going with No, every year we seem to be about 1 scorer short of what we were promised in the off season.

rt 07-22-2009 12:05 AM

I don't think he's any less of a possibility than he was before the Vrbata trade. In other words, I don't think the one thing has anything to do with the other.

By the way, Nigel Dawes is a 10-15 goal guy. If that's all we wanted we could've hung onto him for less than a million bucks. I think it's clear we want more. Waiving Dawes, and trading Lisin for Korpikoski, I think shows that.

bobbop 07-22-2009 12:22 AM

Thery have to. Still not enough reliable goalscoring here. Unfortunately it appears that Tanguay may be too rich for the Yotes' budget.

Rabbit 07-22-2009 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rt (Post 20511677)
I don't think he's any less of a possibility than he was before the Vrbata trade. In other words, I don't think the one thing has anything to do with the other.

By the way, Nigel Dawes is a 10-15 goal guy. If that's all we wanted we could've hung onto him for less than a million bucks. I think it's clear we want more. Waiving Dawes, and trading Lisin for Korpikoski, I think shows that.

So if asking for Tanguay is too much, who do you feel the Coyotes would grab free agent wise? or if you have any ideas of certain players we can acquire through a trade? People have been saying Afinogenov may fit, but now that I think of it I'm pretty sure he's a RW, and we traded Lisin for the sake of being over loaded on the right side.

Art.Vandelay 07-22-2009 01:12 AM

I think DM will either stand pat or go for another bargain basement reclaim. I don't think he'll be willing to pay what Tanguay wants.

Z4dfence 07-22-2009 01:25 AM

I'm gonna vote yes there is a possibility. I think both guys fit 'the plan'. Knowing how under the radar Maloney is, he probably had feelers out weeks ago when Verbie's agent said he was ready to come back and TBL was all .. so what.Tangauy isn't gettin THAT much action that he can thumb his nose up at a decent offer.

I want this so much I am gonna stand by my dream and hope GMDM can pull this off. He had a little money to burn and offsetting Vbrats money kept the Don in budget so he has something to work with.

Guest 07-22-2009 10:37 AM

I still see Maxim Afinogenov in our future, and given that he hasn't signed anywhere or had much buzz he could be a great reclamation project on the cheap. I seem to remember that he had some wheels and he's pretty young still (only 30!). At his best Max was a 20-40-60 guy, and he went from being a point a game player to a point every other game pretty quickly when Drury & Briere left.

I think Phoenix would be a fresh start for him, but I don't know his recent history -- was he injured or something to be missing that many games the past 3 seasons?

Edit: Per TSN he missed a lot of games last year due to a groin pull, as well as sore neck and the flu. The season prior, another groin pull kept him out a long time. A broken left wrist the year before that, he was a ppg player that year prior to the injury. If he doesn't get any real interest here he's a guy that would be very likely to go to the KHL I guess.

Kazidoom 07-22-2009 12:01 PM

The ongoing Upshall negotiations are crucial. If Maloney wants to sign another scorer and his precious goon he needs Upshall to sign for considerably less than the 30 goal salary he's looking for. My strategy would be to tell Upshall the lower he signs for now the more money he'll make in the long run. I would try to convince him that agreeing to a cheap 1 year deal means having better linemates which increases his chances of scoring more and getting a nice contract once the ownership mess has been resolved.

However promising Upshall better linemates if he accepts a discount and then going out and getting Tanguay who is a LW as well wouldn't work out. Ideally I'd like to acquire Patrick Sharp but I don't know what we'd be willing to give up for him. Upshall-Sharp-Doan or Upshall-Sharp-Mueller would look nice though.

rt 07-22-2009 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Art.Vandelay (Post 20512166)
I think DM will either stand pat or go for another bargain basement reclaim. I don't think he'll be willing to pay what Tanguay wants.

While you may be right about Tanguay, I'm not so sure about the standing pat or bargain shopping. We had Dawes and Lisin here, already. If we wanted our offense to come from unproven, cheap sources we already had them. Both are boom/bust guys and both probably would've cost us less than a million bucks. I think the fact that we let one go for free, and traded the other for a checker, shows that we want to add another, more reliable, offensive presence. Is that Vrbata? Personally, I don't think so. Moving Lisin and Dawes and picking up only Vrbata doesn't seem like what Maloney's plan was for the offense, to me. It just doesn't line up with what he was saying, in my opinion. My guess is that we'll see one more offensive forward added. That and a fighter. Then, I'd say we're done.

This effing Upshall thing need to get done, already, by the way. What the hell?

AZCOYOT 07-22-2009 12:53 PM

I'm going with no, because he's not the type of player that'll help the Coyotes win. We don't need a guy who can't deal with slumps, because this team is going to have them.

Forget this guy already

SniperHF 07-22-2009 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phogary Flayotes (Post 20516313)
I'm going with no, because he's not the type of player that'll help the Coyotes win. We don't need a guy who can't deal with slumps, because this team is going to have them.

Forget this guy already

I'd love to hear how that is the case with Tanguay. He would instantly be the second best player on the team.

I say no just because I'm cynical, but your reasoning confuses the heck out of me. Still harboring ill feelings from the 07-08 Flames season perhaps?

AZCOYOT 07-22-2009 02:10 PM

Here's the deal.. I bought a Tanguay jersey 1 day after we traded for him in Calgary. The Flames also traded my Favorite player on the team for him (Jordan Leopold) and I was still bouncing off the walls.

Tanguay puts up numbers.. no doubts there. BUT he is a huge baby, he sulks when things aren't going his way, and doesn't deal with being put into a checking role if he's not playing well. He does not do what it takes to make the team better, his attitude SUCKS. I don't want him near any of our young players because it will rub off on them.

Do we want Mikkel Boedker to sit in the corner of the dressing room sulking because the coach put him on the 4th line for the 3rd period?

Not only that, but I don't think he enjoys the role of being in the spotlight, you said it yourself. He'd instantly be the 2nd best player on the team. I don't think he can handle that kind of pressure.

I was as amped as all of you are even at the prospect of having Alex Tanguay on the team, but once he plays for you... It probably won't last. I went as far as taking his name bar off my jersey. Not for anything he said leaving Calgary, but just because I expected so much more from him as a member of the team.

He plays for the name on the back, not the logo on the front more or less.

white_tiger 07-22-2009 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Converse (Post 20514733)
I still see Maxim Afinogenov in our future, and given that he hasn't signed anywhere or had much buzz he could be a great reclamation project on the cheap. I seem to remember that he had some wheels and he's pretty young still (only 30!). At his best Max was a 20-40-60 guy, and he went from being a point a game player to a point every other game pretty quickly when Drury & Briere left.

I think Phoenix would be a fresh start for him, but I don't know his recent history -- was he injured or something to be missing that many games the past 3 seasons?

Edit: Per TSN he missed a lot of games last year due to a groin pull, as well as sore neck and the flu. The season prior, another groin pull kept him out a long time. A broken left wrist the year before that, he was a ppg player that year prior to the injury. If he doesn't get any real interest here he's a guy that would be very likely to go to the KHL I guess.

THose back to back groin injuries is why I hope he doesn't come here. Unless he got the surgury like Jovo did to fix them for good.

white_tiger 07-22-2009 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phogary Flayotes (Post 20517314)
Not only that, but I don't think he enjoys the role of being in the spotlight, you said it yourself. He'd instantly be the 2nd best player on the team. I don't think he can handle that kind of pressure..

Maybe.. but remember in Phoenix the presure is almost no exsistant as far as the media is concerned.. (which is where it piles on from in the Canadian markets and places like NYC ect.

Z4dfence 07-22-2009 09:12 PM

other folks think we're still in it too AND they quote the Don (which I couldn't at the time)

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/arti...r-alex-tanguay

SH1VERmeT1MBERS 07-22-2009 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z4dfence (Post 20522327)
other folks think we're still in it too AND they quote the Don (which I couldn't at the time)

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/arti...r-alex-tanguay

Wow. The title went as far to say we're the frontrunner.

Maloney pursuing Tanguay also seems to suggest that he sees Turris on this team next season. Did Tanguay play center ealier in his NHL career? I seem to remember that he did, but I could be wrong.

Rabbit 07-22-2009 10:01 PM

Eklund says we are in now too haha

Matzel 07-22-2009 10:02 PM

I voted 'no'.

I don't doubt that GMDM has had talks with Tanguay's agent but if it was going to happen, I think it would have already.

With each passing day, the odds of him signing with the Yotes shrink.

doaner 07-22-2009 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matzel (Post 20522875)
I voted 'no'.

I don't doubt that GMDM has had talks with Tanguay's agent but if it was going to happen, I think it would have already.

With each passing day, the odds of him signing with the Yotes shrink.

So according to ur logic, with each passing day, odds are nobody signs him???

Z4dfence 07-22-2009 11:04 PM

If someone else steps up with a much better deal, they grab the brass ring. But Alex's options are probably fairly limited right now and PHO is his ace in the hole. But wouldn't you hold out til the last minute if you were him? PHO presents its own little issues that no player of any stature is going to voluntarily step into unless they have to. But you know our GM, if there is any way humanly possible, he'll bag his man. Too bad the Vrbata trade freed up some cash for TBL to work against us on this.

RR 07-22-2009 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetsGoCoyotes (Post 20522391)

Maloney pursuing Tanguay also seems to suggest that he sees Turris on this team next season. Did Tanguay play center ealier in his NHL career? I seem to remember that he did, but I could be wrong.

Tanguay - Mueller - Doan
Upshall - Lombardi - Boedker
Prucha - Hanzal - Vrbata
Korpedo - Fiddler - Tikhonov
Enforcer

Works for me, and Turris in San Anotnio :)

AZCOYOT 07-23-2009 01:06 AM

I think if it does happen, Mueller could have a big year. If it gets Mueller going, i'd be down with that

rt 07-23-2009 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RousselRising (Post 20523546)
Tanguay - Mueller - Doan
Upshall - Lombardi - Boedker
Prucha - Hanzal - Vrbata
Korpedo - Fiddler - Tikhonov
Enforcer

Works for me, and Turris in San Anotnio :)

Perfect. Tanguay is just the right guy, in addition to Doan, to get "Little Pete" where we need him to be.

SniperHF 07-23-2009 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetsGoCoyotes (Post 20522391)

I believe you are right, but hes much more suited to LW.