HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Vancouver Canucks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   News Article: Canucks sign three (Glass, Desbiens, Funk) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=666017)

-TYC- 07-22-2009 01:09 PM

Canucks sign three (Glass, Desbiens, Funk)

Quote:

Canucks sign three

Jul 22, 2009, 2:00 PM EDT

Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Mike Gillis announced today that the Canucks have signed forwards Tanner Glass and Guillaume Desbiens and defenceman Mike Funk. In keeping with club policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Glass, 25, spent the 2008-09 season with the Rochester Americans of the AHL and Florida Panthers. The Regina, Saskatchewan native recorded 13 points (4-9-13) and 100 penalty minutes in 44 games with Rochester and seven penalty minutes in three games played with Florida. The 60, 196-lbs forward was originally selected by the Florida Panthers 265th overall in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft.

Funk, 22, played 13 games with the Portland Pirates in 2008-09 recording three points (1-2-3) and eight penalty minutes. The 64, 210-lbs defenceman has played nine NHL games over two seasons for the Buffalo Sabres earning two assists. A native of Abbotsford, British Columbia, Funk was originally drafted by Buffalo 43rd overall in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft.

Desbiens, 24, played 78 games with the Manitoba Moose in 2008-09 recording 47 points (21-26-47) and 158 penalty minutes. In 22 playoff games with the Moose, the Alma, Quebec native scored four goals and eight assists (4-8-12) with 18 penalty minutes. The 62, 205-lbs winger was originally drafted by the Atlanta Thrashers 116th overall in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft.
http://canucks.nhl.com/team/app/?ser...ticleid=451144

Tim Calhoun 07-22-2009 01:11 PM

Nice to see Desbiens finally a part of the organization. Could be the next Rypien.

JonnyCash 07-22-2009 01:15 PM

YeahhH!! Desbiens!!! That's awesome.. soon to be the biggest fan favorite for sure :handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

Wayne Maki 07-22-2009 01:15 PM

Cool. Funk and Glass were already announced though. Desbiens was expected, but it is good to know it is official.

Huh, I just realized Bolduc and Desbiens played on the same QMJHL team for 3 and a half seasons. I wonder if that is why Desbiens went to the Moose.

UBCsalmonslayer 07-22-2009 01:20 PM

Good depth moves for the organization.

PRNuck 07-22-2009 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Calhoun (Post 20516519)
Nice to see Desbiens finally a part of the organization. Could be the next Rypien.

Very nice, he was the player I noticed the most while watching the Calder Cup finals.

Timmer44 07-22-2009 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRNuck (Post 20516705)
Very nice, he was the player I noticed the most while watching the Calder Cup finals.

The guy has potential to be a beauty. Power forward type player.

jared37 07-22-2009 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killface (Post 20516577)
Cool. Funk and Glass were already announced though. Desbiens was expected, but it is good to know it is official.

Huh, I just realized Bolduc and Desbiens played on the same QMJHL team for 3 and a half seasons. I wonder if that is why Desbiens went to the Moose.

desbiens went to the moose because they were the only team willing to give him a chance, they signed him to a tryout contract and apparently told him there was a spot on the 4th line he could compete for and he ended up not only winning that but playing half the season on the first line, good to see signed by the canucks,

him and bolduc also have some good chemisty i think so as a future 4th line

desbiens bolduc rypien

that would be a awsome line to watch, lots of hitting fighting and some offence in there as well

pitseleh 07-22-2009 02:07 PM

Very happy to hear about Desbiens. I think he has the potential to be a quality fourth liner, the type of player you don't feel bad about having take a semi-regular shift.

Transom Bob 07-22-2009 02:08 PM

Anybody have any scouting reports on these guys? Or if they're posted somewhere already, would peeps like to kindly point me in the right direction?

NFITO 07-22-2009 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pitseleh (Post 20517272)
Very happy to hear about Desbiens. I think he has the potential to be a quality fourth liner, the type of player you don't feel bad about having take a semi-regular shift.

I agree... and it looks like we have another one of those potential "4th line types" in Bliznak as well, and likely Bolduc can be thrown in there too!

I do find this sudden change though in our organization quite odd... we went from being a team that was always fairly deep on defense - for many years, while having no real forward depth, to the other way around.

The forward depth in this organization is probably the deepest I can ever remember it being... while the defensive depth may be the worst I can remember us having!

Steveorama 07-22-2009 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO (Post 20517342)
The forward depth in this organization is probably the deepest I can ever remember it being... while the defensive depth may be the worst I can remember us having!

Dmen under contract:

Salo
Bieksa
Mitchell
Edler
O'Brien
Rome
Baumgartner
Nycholat
Funk
Rahimi
Ellington
Oberg

Unsigned dmen that we hold the rights to:
McIver
Sauve
Price
Andersson
Cannauton
Fredheim
Grot
Koltsov

It is scary to think where our D will be in a few years unless we find some good young dmen quick.
Our best dman prospect is now Sauve, who is far from a sure-thing NHLer.

StrictlyCommercial 07-22-2009 02:39 PM

Very happy to see Desbiens signed, he was a beast for the Moose in the Playoffs. I expect he'll get some games this year if Rypien/Johnson get injuries.

Barney Gumble 07-22-2009 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO (Post 20517342)

I mentioned this in another thread - but I think at least part of this can be explained by virtue of the type of players we've drafted in the first two rounds for the past 6 drafts.

1st round......one defenseman (Bourdon) and four forwards
2nd round.....two defensemen and two forwards

3rd+ rounds are pretty much a crap-shoot. And it certainly didn't help previous management(s) dealt away these picks like they were candy.

MS 07-22-2009 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1998 (Post 20517292)
Anybody have any scouting reports on these guys? Or if they're posted somewhere already, would peeps like to kindly point me in the right direction?

Funk is a 6'4" defender who was a #2 pick of Buffalo in 2004. Local guy, is an excellent skater for his size and got into a few games for the Sabres a couple years back. Had all kinds of concussion problems last season and wasn't qualified. Needs to be more physical for his size.

Glass is a 4th line/agitator type who played in 41 games for Florida in 07-08. Has very little skill but skates OK and throws his weight around and will fight (although loses most of his scraps). 4th line insurance, will play in Manitoba.

Desbiens is a Moose reclamation project who had an excellent year in the AHL last year with 21 goals/47 points and 158 PIM. Skates pretty well, physical guy who might develop into a solid 3rd/4th liner in the NHL.

Good to finally get Desbiens signed and 'officially' into our prospect pool.

galiano 07-22-2009 06:55 PM

Desbiens is another Craig Heisinger signing. This guy finds talent like no one else can - Rypien, Burrows, etc etc.

Put him on the payroll Gillis.

El Duderino 07-22-2009 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MS (Post 20518196)
Glass is a 4th line/agitator type who played in 41 games for Florida in 07-08. Has very little skill but skates OK and throws his weight around and will fight (although loses most of his scraps). 4th line insurance, will play in Manitoba.

Sounds like Jeff Cowan...

Win One Before I Die 07-22-2009 11:31 PM

defense will be addressed by trades
having good prospects, at any position is better than drafting for what we need
you can always flip a good forward prospect for a good defensive prospect

Kickassguy 07-23-2009 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 16 (Post 20523444)
Sounds like Jeff Cowan...

Let's hope not. Otherwise the cries of "Tanner Glassjaw!" are just around the corner... =/

ItsAllPartOfThePlan 07-23-2009 12:37 AM

You have to think with all this forward depth, someone is going to get traded or packaged for a dman.

Ernie 07-23-2009 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan (Post 20524249)
You have to think with all this forward depth, someone is going to get traded or packaged for a dman.

you would think...

CrackerJibbs 07-23-2009 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kickassguy (Post 20524174)
Let's hope not. Otherwise the cries of "Tanner Glassjaw!" are just around the corner... =/

To be fair, while he almost never won his fights, Cowan could take a punch pretty well.

Kickassguy 07-23-2009 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFH (Post 20524546)
To be fair, while he almost never won his fights, Cowan could take a punch pretty well.

That he did. Buddy just kept coming up for more. It was actually getting pretty impressive toward the end of his tenure here. We knew he was going to lose, he knew he was going to lose, but he went in there and kept taking his lumps.