HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Saku Koivu (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=66621)

Fish on The Sand 03-31-2004 04:43 PM

Saku Koivu

Any time someone wants to question his heart, his desire, or his dedication to the team, I want you to read this.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/news/2002/0409/1365906.html

It makes me sick to my stomach knowing he fought his way back from the brink of death to help this franchise, yet he has been booed, and had his heart questioned. Koivu doesn't belong in any other jersey, the no 11 doesn't belong on the back of any other player. there is no single player in habs history that has given more to the team than koivu. not the rocket, not beliveau, not dryden, not lafleur, not even roy. he literally has given his heart and soul to the franchise, and then some. you can say he may not deliver the big inspirational speach that guys like yzerman, gilmour and sakic were known for, but he doesnt need to. there is nothing anyone can do or say that could mean more than the simple fact that he is playing.

Habbadasher 03-31-2004 04:57 PM

Well put.

eddy 03-31-2004 05:03 PM

Yes, well said, i've never doughted Saku.

Necrophile 03-31-2004 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand
Any time someone wants to question his heart, his desire, or his dedication to the team, I want you to read this.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/news/2002/0409/1365906.html

It makes me sick to my stomach knowing he fought his way back from the brink of death to help this franchise, yet he has been booed, and had his heart questioned. Koivu doesn't belong in any other jersey, the no 11 doesn't belong on the back of any other player. there is no single player in habs history that has given more to the team than koivu. not the rocket, not beliveau, not dryden, not lafleur, not even roy. he literally has given his heart and soul to the franchise, and then some. you can say he may not deliver the big inspirational speach that guys like yzerman, gilmour and sakic were known for, but he doesnt need to. there is nothing anyone can do or say that could mean more than the simple fact that he is playing.

Great post!

By the way, isn't Yzerman known as more of a quiet, leader-by-example captain?

KOMO_ROCKS 03-31-2004 05:32 PM

Great read :banana:

VAN-HAB 03-31-2004 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrophile
Great post!

so is Naslund in Vancouver, and I like that over a more vocal leader. Well done! :handclap:

Ontario Habsfan 03-31-2004 05:40 PM

Koivu should remain a life long Hab. Let's face it though, the only way to satisfy everyone in Montreal with your captaincy is if you bring home a cup. That's the measuring stick. I think Koivu can bet the leader this team needs. There are other guys in the room that will be vocal, so Saku doesn't need to fill that roll.

Troubling Fact: No team with a European Captain has ever won the cup. Hopefully Koivu breaks this. (Not Sundin though :shakehead )

Fish on The Sand 03-31-2004 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ontario Habsfan
Koivu should remain a life long Hab. Let's face it though, the only way to satisfy everyone in Montreal with your captaincy is if you bring home a cup. That's the measuring stick. I think Koivu can bet the leader this team needs. There are other guys in the room that will be vocal, so Saku doesn't need to fill that roll.

Troubling Fact: No team with a European Captain has ever won the cup. Hopefully Koivu breaks this. (Not Sundin though :shakehead )

wasn't sundin the first ever european captain though?

CoupeStanley 03-31-2004 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrophile
Great post!

Yzerman wasn't considered a great captain until he won the cup

felixd 03-31-2004 05:48 PM

Add Sakic to the quiet captain mold. But yeah Koivu rules :handclap:

KOMO_ROCKS 03-31-2004 05:48 PM

Quote:

Nope, Sundin has never won the cup yet :teach:

Fish on The Sand 03-31-2004 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KOMO_ROCKS
Nope, Sundin has never won the cup yet :teach:

I know that. But he has only been captain for like 6 years or something. I believe he was the very first european captain, so there is only a 6 year period where there have been european captains. Hell, Alfredsson has only been captain for 3 years, Naslund for the same, Koivu for 5 and Jokinnen is in his 2nd. Haven't been many european captains.

Ontario Habsfan 03-31-2004 05:58 PM

Quote:

Well I know Stasny Captained Quebec ---> 1985/86-1989/90. I don't know if Stasny was the first.

Fish on The Sand 03-31-2004 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ontario Habsfan
Well I know Stasny Captained Quebec ---> 1985/86-1989/90. I don't know if Stasny was the first.

ok, so clearly sundin wasnt first haha

Brisson11 03-31-2004 06:15 PM

Wow I'm glad to know we have a captain like that for our team. Now there's a leader. The best leaders aren't always the most talkative ones, some people just don't understand that sadly but hurray for SAKU :handclap:

LONG LIVE THE :habs