HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Line Combos: Rangers Lines Poll 5 - 2nd Line LW (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=667016)

captain9nyr 07-25-2009 06:25 PM

Rangers Lines Poll 5 - 2nd Line LW

Rangers Lines/Depth Chart 2009-2010

Christopher Higgins - Brandon Dubinsky - Marian Gaborik
TBD - Chris Drury -TBD
TBD - TBD - TBD
TBD - TBD - TBD

TBD - TBD
TBD - TBD
TBD - TBD

Drury wins the job at C2, not shocking at all.

Pick Drury's left wing.

HockeyBasedNYC 07-25-2009 07:09 PM

I think Cally will have to switch sides if they resign Zherdev

But this is where it starts to get tricky.

captain9nyr 07-25-2009 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC (Post 20555843)

I think that if we place Zherdev in one of these spots, and he appears to be a goner, I'll re-poll that spot and if the spot is filled by someone else that won a different poll, I'll re-poll that spot too.

I was going to start listing "Zherdev if signed, if not, <name>", but that would get a little annoying to track.

Emptyvoid 07-25-2009 07:18 PM

Sean Avery i believe would be the most suited for the 2nd line. Have Drury center this line and have Ryan Callahan play right wing (AS IS HIS NATURAL POSITION!!!!).

There you have a line that is gritty, pretty damn quick, forchecks hard and is actually defensively responsible (Cally and Drury definitely are, not too sure about Avery but definitely has the speed to get the last man).

That line can definitely produce as well, Avery just plays the best hockey in his life in NY for some reason. Callahan explodes under Torts and Drury will have a breath of fresh air under this system. If i have to predict rough point totals, i say Avery gets around 50, Drury around 60, and Callahan around 55. A very respectable and damn good second line if all pans out.

captain9nyr 07-25-2009 07:22 PM

Here's where we're going to see a wrench.

I really feel they brought in Kotalik to be the 2nd line RW to Drury (re-kindle the Buffalo success), and both Zherdev and Callahan are too good to be 3rd liners, which is why I really think Zherdev is as good as gone.

Unless Zherdev or Callahan move to this spot, Zherdev is gone, because he's not going to be 3rd line. We could see a 3rd line of Avery - Anisimov - Lisin and Callahan be the left wing here.

We really do have quite a few wingers.

NY Ranger86 07-25-2009 07:33 PM

Zherdev gone.

Cally on the left... Kotalik on the right.

if it comes out anything different, its wrong.

nyr2k2 07-25-2009 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NY Ranger86 (Post 20555997)
Zherdev gone.

Cally on the left... Kotalik on the right.

if it comes out anything different, its wrong.

Kotalik actually plays both wings. If you're dead set on Callahan on the second line, keep him on the RW and shift Kotalik to the left.

The Perfect Paradox 07-25-2009 08:55 PM

Kotalik had great chemistry with Drury in Buffalo.

He should definitely by left wing if Drury is the center on line two. Cally can play his natural RW position and Avery can play 3rd line minutes.

Ih8theislanders 07-25-2009 08:59 PM

Big Z

darko 07-25-2009 09:15 PM

Avery-Drury-Cally is what I would go with on 2nd line. I'm not even considering Zherdev because it's unlikely he comes back...

Callahan Auto 07-25-2009 10:34 PM

I like Kotalik's shot with Drury and Cally working around the net. If Kotalik and Drury can revive their old chemistry, you have to keep them together. Avery could mix into the rotation just fine when we need a spark. Whoever slides in, our second line should be pretty solid.

Trxjw 07-25-2009 10:54 PM

Kotalik. I think Avery might earn some time there during the year, but Kotalik - Drury - Callahan is the probable 2nd line to me.

captain9nyr 07-25-2009 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trxjw (Post 20557425)
Kotalik. I think Avery might earn some time there during the year, but Kotalik - Drury - Callahan is the probable 2nd line to me.

There really just does not appear to be a spot for Nikolai Zherdev on this team. This would have been an absolutely unthinkable thought just a few months ago.

hpNYR 07-25-2009 11:21 PM

Everyone keeps saying Zherdev will be gone....we better get something decent for him...we gave up Tyutin in that deal. What can we get for Zherdev? I personally want to keep him -- but then you run into a stacked team. What return can you possibly get that wouldnt be nhl ready and still fair value for Z?

Avery-Dubinsky-Gaborik
Kotalik-Drury-Callahan
Higgins-Anisimov-Lisin
Brashear-Boyle-Byers

Staal-Girardi
Rozsival-Potter
Redden-Gilroy

Lundqvist

captain9nyr 07-26-2009 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _AC_ (Post 20557576)
Everyone keeps saying Zherdev will be gone....we better get something decent for him...we gave up Tyutin in that deal. What can we get for Zherdev? I personally want to keep him -- but then you run into a stacked team. What return can you possibly get that wouldnt be nhl ready and still fair value for Z?

Avery-Dubinsky-Gaborik
Kotalik-Drury-Callahan
Higgins-Anisimov-Lisin
Brashear-Boyle-Byers

Staal-Girardi
Rozsival-Potter
Redden-Gilroy

Lundqvist

$6.5M for a 3rd pairing defenseman?

OverTheCap 07-26-2009 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _AC_ (Post 20557576)

Avery-Dubinsky-Gaborik
Kotalik-Drury-Callahan
Higgins-Anisimov-Lisin
Brashear-Boyle-Byers

Staal-Girardi
Rozsival-Potter
Redden-Gilroy

Lundqvist

I'm not sure why people continue to write Staal and Girardi as our first D-pairing when they were absolutely brutal together during the playoffs.

I always thought Rozy and Staal played well together and would like to see them reunited.

Girardi gets way too much of a free pass around here. He regressed both offensively and defensively and didn't resemble anything close to a 1st pairing d-man last season. I'm not sure if it's because he's homegrown, or because he makes less money than some of our other d-man, but Girardi is criticized way less than Rozy and Redden, and I don't think Girardi played any better than them. Girardi really needs to rebound this year and regain his prior form.

beastly115 07-26-2009 07:56 AM

How is Kotalik not winning this? I know people don't like the signing but use a little common sense.

NY Ranger86 07-26-2009 09:16 AM

KOTALIK - DRURY - CALLAHAN

or

CALLAHAN - DRURY - KOTALIK

Avery 3rd line.

Ace2008 07-26-2009 09:48 AM

wheres' higgins..?

--here's my lines based on the thought that Zherdev will be signed...but traded before the cap hit is finalized for something else...to lose 2 2nd rounders(the cost of tyutin and backman)

would be silly otherwise

avery---dubinsky--gaborik (grinder-playmaker-sniper)

higgins--Drury--Kotalik (ditto)

Gratchev-Anisimov-Lisin (pwr fwd-playmaker-speed merchant)

Brashear--Boyle-Callahan(pwr Enforcer-Grinder-Sniper

Byers--Arnasson--????Parenteau?(grinder--playmaker--spare)

captain9nyr 07-26-2009 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace2008 (Post 20559550)
--here's my lines based on the thought that Zherdev will be signed...but traded before the cap hit is finalized for something else...to lose 2 2nd rounders(the cost of tyutin and backman)

would be silly otherwise

avery---dubinsky--gaborik (grinder-playmaker-sniper)

higgins--Drury--Kotalik (ditto)

Gratchev-Anisimov-Lisin (pwr fwd-playmaker-speed merchant)

Brashear--Boyle-Callahan(pwr Enforcer-Grinder-Sniper

Byers--Arnasson--????Parenteau?(grinder--playmaker--spare)

Higgins was voted top line left wing.

Backman was a failed experiment. If anything, he had the ever popular "negative value" tag when CBJ took that $3M cap hit off of our tight cap.

Tyutin does hurt to lose, but it's not like we don't have a very very very very deep defensive prospect pool.

Brian Boyle 07-26-2009 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alphaqup (Post 20559122)
How is Kotalik not winning this? I know people don't like the signing but use a little common sense.

what's common sense about it? Kotalik and Avery's production has been near identical in the past 3 seasons (.566 Pts/GP for Avery .564 for Kotalik)

coolbean04 07-26-2009 12:53 PM

I can go with either Kotalik or Avery as the 2nd line LWer. I think they'll swap back and forth during the season depending on who's hot or if the lines just gets cold and needs a change.

I would like to start the season with Avery on the 2nd line though. He brings so much to the game even when he's not scoring.

Even though we're paying Kotalik 3M a year, I have no problem having him on the 3rd line and playing him 1st pairing on the PP. I think he's a steal if he's solid on 3rd line, solid on PP, and solid on shootouts. Him alone can be a difference maker of about 5 games just with the PP and shootout.

AXN 07-26-2009 01:17 PM

Simpson ahead of Tikkanen? Tikkanen would still play second line.

captain9nyr 07-26-2009 01:51 PM

Looks like Avery is starting to put some room in between he and Kotalik. I'm going to let this one run into tomorrow, it's still pretty close.

vipernsx 07-26-2009 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC (Post 20555843)

Nah, if Z sticks in NY, I'd flip him to the off wing. He can play any forward spot. He's got the speed and skill and he's all over the ice anyhow.