HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Cheap shots in the last week: Mair, Peters and now Webb (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=66714)

tinyzombies 03-31-2004 08:32 PM

Cheap shots in the last week: Mair, Peters and now Webb

At least this time Juneau got him back and Rivet stood up for him. Rivet even offered to fight a guy his size, but Hamrlik wussed out. I think Rivet is recovering from the flu too.

Then the Islanders give Webb third star.

No class.

Munchausen 03-31-2004 08:35 PM

What cheap shot? Juneau had the puck, the hit was clean. It's not because it's open ice hitting that it's cheap shooting. The cheap shot came afterward, from Juneau, when he high-sticked Webb back. This might get him a 1-2 game suspension, and I won't cry a river over it either.

Mooch 03-31-2004 08:38 PM

ya lets blame web for our big L. my god, get real people.

Whitesnake 03-31-2004 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munchausen
What cheap shot? Juneau had the puck, the hit was clean. It's not because it's open ice hitting that it's cheap shooting. The cheap shot came afterward, from Juneau, when he high-sticked Webb back. This might get him a 1-2 game suspension, and I won't cry a river over it either.

Maybe the fact that 5-1 end of 3rd period, it could be that unwritten rule that you don't hit players that hard (you'll never see a player in Montreal do that, you can be sure) But you're right as well, it was a very good, body check and that's the kind of players we don't have enough in Montreal and it shows when Bégin's not there.

db23 03-31-2004 08:38 PM

Uhh....I think you have things a little backwards, rake, if anyone deserves a chat with Colin Campbell it is Juneau. Steve Webb did what Steve Webb does. Juneau couldn't deal with it.

Mooch 03-31-2004 08:43 PM

Whitesnake- "You dont hit players that hard"

Common give me a break, this is hockey not a pansey game.

Whitesnake 03-31-2004 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mooch

Mooch,

Just saying that at 5-1 with 2 mins left in the 3rd, I've rarely seen those kinds of bodychecks. On any other situation, of course you can hit that way and maybe harder since Juneau should've known better and keep his head up. But, Webb had nothing to prove with that hit, even though I said that it was a very clean one.

Carbonneau 03-31-2004 09:23 PM

Maybe this will wakeup Juneau

db23 03-31-2004 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carbonneau
Maybe this will wakeup Juneau

If the team had any luck at all, the hit would have knocked him into retirement.

Carbonneau 03-31-2004 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by db23
If the team had any luck at all, it would haave knocked him into retirement.

Amen

tinyzombies 03-31-2004 10:30 PM

I applaud Juneau for retaliating and a big handclap to Rivet for standing up for his teammate for an obvious cheapshot. The score is 5-1, just because the crowd is chanting your name doesn't mean you take a run at a player and plant your shoulder in his chin. Very cheap. Just further proof that the players don't respect each other out there, especially guys like that. Pathetic.

skoivu 03-31-2004 10:42 PM

It doesnt matter what time of the game it is u play every shift like its ur last. Juneau had his head down and webb took it off. The worst thing u can do is change ur game when u have a big lead. Leads to bad habits. And the worst thing u can do is take someone lightly when u think theyre taking it easy on u. Thats when u get hurt. It that woulda been a hab hitting yashin or bates or anyone there would be threads prazing the hit wiht links to the video of it going around the board.

CrAzYNiNe 03-31-2004 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mooch

LOL

When I was playing football, all the head coaches had a meeting and they told our HC that they wanted us to stop hitting so hard. My coach walked out of the room laughing histericly

tinyzombies 03-31-2004 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY_NiNe
LOL

When I was playing football, all the head coaches had a meeting and they told our HC that they wanted us to stop hitting so hard. My coach walked out of the room laughing histericly

Ok, so the score is 48-3 and there is less than 2 minutes on the clock, the game is meaningless at this point and especially meaningless for the other team, you guys aren't rivals and aren't likely to meet in the playoffs... the other team puts their helmet into the back of your quarterback.

What do you do?

Habs 03-31-2004 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raketheleaves
At least this time Juneau got him back and Rivet stood up for him. Rivet even offered to fight a guy his size, but Hamrlik wussed out. I think Rivet is recovering from the flu too.

No class.

At this point, I hope it smartens Juneau up. I also wouldn't mind if a few other players got their clocks rung.

CrAzYNiNe 03-31-2004 11:10 PM

Quote:

Ok, so the score is 48-3 and there is less than 2 minutes on the clock, the game is meaningless at this point and especially meaningless for the other team, you guys aren't rivals and aren't likely to meet in the playoffs... the other team puts their helmet into the back of your quarterback.

What do you do?

Well considering the 3 times they tooched my qb all year, one got a serious concussion, the other a broken knee, and I don't remember what happend to the third. If anyone touched our qb, we didn't like it, sack or not, we made sure they didn't try hard after that.

Oh and from what I got from your post, ya I know what you are saying, NYI shouldn't of been playing that hard with the game 5-1 but letting up is terrible IMO, just cause you get lazy in game situation and might affect your next game. That's just how I feel, not everyone might feel like that though.

tinyzombies 03-31-2004 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY_NiNe
Well considering the 3 times they tooched my qb all year, one got a serious concussion, the other a broken knee, and I don't remember what happend to the third. If anyone touched our qb, we didn't like it, sack or not, we made sure they didn't try hard after that.

Oh and from what I got from your post, ya I know what you are saying, NYI shouldn't of been playing that hard with the game 5-1 but letting up is terrible IMO, just cause you get lazy in game situation and might affect your next game. That's just how I feel, not everyone might feel like that though.

Yeah, but my point is there is a difference between playing hard and trying to take someone's head off. The Islanders floated for much of the game after they took that 2-0 lead and the Habs floated ALL night for various reasons.

I'm not a wuss, I'm just saying it was cheap and we've taken a lot of cheapshots lately with no consequences on the other side. On top of that, we're floating around because we've played hard all season long and are getting ready for the playoffs.

Maybe Langdon should be in the lineup for the last two games, just in case.

CrAzYNiNe 03-31-2004 11:15 PM

Quote:

Yeah, but my point is there is a difference between playing hard and trying to take someone's head off. The Islanders floated for much of the game after they took that 2-0 lead and the Habs floated ALL night for various reasons.

I'm not a wuss, I'm just saying it was cheap and we've taken a lot of cheapshots lately with no consequences on the other side. On top of that, we're floating around because we've played hard all season long and are getting ready for the playoffs.

Maybe Langdon should be in the lineup for the last two games, just in case.

I didn't see the hit, and stopped watching after 2-0, so I am not sure how the game was played. But ya, someone would of died if I was on the field and it was a football game.

rib71 04-01-2004 12:10 AM

i ve seen begin take runs at players at the end of games, and the hit was clean was no elbow, no high stick, .... a clean hit is never a cheap shot juneaus was

just my two cents

rib71 04-01-2004 12:12 AM

Quote:

No class.

its cause of him they scored the first goal, he got the crowd into it, you dont have to score to win the game

Guy! 04-01-2004 02:35 AM

The minute you stop playing at full instensity, you get hurt in one way or another. Webb knows only one way to play the game and not only do I applaud him, but I wish we had him. I don't care what the score is, you never play your 'B' game, ever. That's unprofessional. And quite honestly, if someone brings on their 'B' game against me while they're kicking my butt, I get angry.

Juneau should and will be suspended for his act of blatant retaliation and Rivet should get a stern talking-to as well. And I cannot believe the sour grapes when someone finishes a *completely* legitimate check out there. By that logic, should they have started playing their 'B' game after scoring their fifth, because the game was already out of hand then?

And what happens when you drop your level of play? The other team starts picking it up and then, when you need it, you can't find that upper level. You want to know the biggest problem with the Habs this season? That killer instinct, that ability to play through the final whistle. It's been their problem since the early 80's in fact. Tentative, not willing to play that full 60, instead leaving it at 55. Do you have any clue how many shutouts Roy lost in Montreal in the last minutes of games because the team folded up shop in front of him?

Pfff. Cheapshot, ha. That was the good solid play that we need to see from the Habs. Maybe they'll learn something from it.

ACF

danboulie 04-01-2004 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rib71
its cause of him they scored the first goal, he got the crowd into it, you dont have to score to win the game

I wasn't home either, so I missed the game as well. BUt this is exactly the reason players get injured. Someone gets hit hard, and then the other team feels the obligation to go out and injure one of their opponents. It's a little stupid if you ask me.
I didn't see the so called "cheap shot." BUt if it was open ice the only way it oculd have been cheap is if Webb put some should or ching into Juneau's head.

Habber 04-01-2004 08:06 AM

The Islanders are a playoff team that was playing with playoff intensity. They, unlike the Habs, know they have to play give 100% for 60 minutes this time of year to raise the level of their game.

You can't truly expect a team or any player to ease off or take it easy at this juncture in the season.

Munchausen 04-01-2004 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aphotic
I didn't see the so called "cheap shot." BUt if it was open ice the only way it oculd have been cheap is if Webb put some should or ching into Juneau's head.

It was as clean as it gets. Juneau handles the puck half asleep in his own zone not looking where he's heading, Webb comes (not charging, just gliding) and hits him ala Denis Gauthier. Nothing wrong with that hit at all, no matter the score. It was a good bodycheck from a team (unlike ours) that feels the urge to raise their intensity to playoff caliber for a full 60 minutes in order to get ready and build some kind of momentum they can ride for a while. Juneau has only himself to blame on that one. And HIS cheap shot (stick to the face of Webb) should be looked at by the league.

Duster 04-01-2004 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habber
The Islanders are a playoff team that was playing with playoff intensity. They, unlike the Habs, know they have to play give 100% for 60 minutes this time of year to raise the level of their game.

You can't truly expect a team or any player to ease off or take it easy at this juncture in the season.

Exactly. It was a clean hit by an aggressive player on a desperate team. While I don't agree with the timing, Juneau should have expected it when he had his head down. He's been around long enough.

I'm really surprised he lost it though. Pretty rare that happens... Perhaps something dating from previous games or maybe frustration?