HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Habs will draft between 15th and 20th.... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=66751)

db23 03-31-2004 11:27 PM

Habs will draft between 15th and 20th....

Any predictions on who they might take?

Munchausen 03-31-2004 11:57 PM

Are we so fed up with our team already that we want to think about the draft before the playoffs have even started? :joker:

Ok seriously, I'm pretty high on many players that I've seen play a couple of times and/or read good things about, which are:

1- Lauri Tukonen (RW)
2- Mike Green (RD)
3- Drew Stafford (RW)
4- Kyle Chipchura (C)
5- Andrew Ladd (LW)
6- Alex Picard (C/LW)
7- Adam Pineault, if he opts in (RW)
8- Lukas Kaspar (LW)
9- Evan McGrath (C/LW)
10- AJ Thelen (LD)

I think most of those guys have a chance to go before we pick, especially the 3 first ones, so moving up in the draft might be to consider if AS and BG are high on those guys too, but those are realistic choices, as none of them are touted as top-5 picks (which are probably Ovechkin, Barker, Malkin, Olesz and Wolski). Some big power-forwards in there, and it's our chance to get one with BG trying to get this team a bit bigger.

db23 04-01-2004 12:01 AM

I think that Stafford, Pineault and Thelen are all in the same boat as far as opt in status. I would be happy with any one of those three, but I'm partial to American prospects, particularly the ones who come through the NTDP and the NCAA.

CrAzYNiNe 04-01-2004 12:01 AM

Last time we lost 4 in a row, we went on to be more or less unbeaten in 15. I am not too worried, and about the draft, who cares, IT'S PLAYOFF TIME BUDDY.

When we win the cup, talk about the draft.

Team_Spirit 04-01-2004 12:06 AM

I would like Evan McGrath or Mike Green , but let's keep all that for when the boys will play golf hehe

we're in playoffs mod now :

GO HABS GO !!

Munchausen 04-01-2004 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by db23
I think that Stafford, Pineault and Thelen are all in the same boat as far as opt in status. I would be happy with any one of those three, but I'm partial to American prospects, particularly the ones who come through the NTDP and the NCAA.

Agreed. I sure was pleasantly surprised with Komisarek and Higgins. O'Byrne is also showing great promesses too (although he's a Canadian kid playing in an American College). American College kids are starting to get recognition (finally) because they play in a very competitive league, fast and physical, so the jump to the modern era NHL might be less of a gap than for Europeans (aside from those with sick skills). So I guess you could say I'm partial to them too.

Mike8 04-01-2004 01:25 AM

I'm partial towards a couple of good sized OHLers in Bickell and Berti. I like Booth as well.

Might be a reach in the mid first round though.

I like Tukonen too, if he lasts.

Valabik's getting a good amount of hype too.

Carbonneau 04-01-2004 01:26 AM

Jonas Fransson

Jeffrey 04-01-2004 01:47 AM

My top 20 list(for the habs):

1- Ovechkin (just a dream ;))
2- Malkin (he would great with perezhogin and kastitsyn as his linemates! good size, good skater, good player overall, very mature player for his age)
3- Olesz (good guy, good speed, very mature also, dont mind physical plays, very talented)
4- Barker (very good defenseman with good size and mobility, incredible offensive upside, best defenseman in this draft)
5- Green (personally i prefer thelen but thelen is LD and we have enough LD in our system right now so if both are available i would probably select green, very good skater, not very big but he's very strong, play physical too, need to show more leadership IMO)
6- Thelen (he's the best defenseman available after barker, he's a better version of hainsey without ego/attitude problems)
7- Tukonen (he's a risky pick IMO, but he has so much skills to pass him up, he's big and gritty, he's fast, he has a good vision,but he needs to show more intensity and works on his defense)
8- O'neill (he's a big defenseman with good offensive skills, he needs to develop a mean streak)
9- Stafford (Big forward, play with grit, good hockey sense and very determined guy)
10- Ladd (he's very mature, play very physical, good shot, good work-ethic, good leader,always play intense hockey)
11- Wolski (I know he's very low on my list.. he scares me a little bit, when he's on his game he's dominating, but sometimes he just looks lost on the ice, he also needs to use his size more)
12- Schremp (he's also very low on my list not because he's not enough skilled or anything .. just because we have enough smallish forward in our system right now .. but he'll be very glad if we could steal him!!)
13- Bolland (he's also a smallish forward but he play like a 6'4 guy !! play with lots of emotion(just like saku) he's also very responsible defensively and a good skater)
14-(tough choice) Radulov(he's also kind of small but he's very skilled, he reminds me perezhogin when we drafted him in 2001)
15-(tough choice) Chipchura (he's a wild guess IMO, he's a good 2 way forward with good size and mobility, he needs to play with more fire in his game and establish himself as a leader)
16-(tough choice) Berti (big guy, good skating, hard-worker,very intense, he's a project, he's like ladd but with less offensive upside IMO)
17-(tough choice) Fransson (good offensive d-man, very nice skater, good hockey sense, could turn like a steal)
18- (tough choice) Valabik (monster guy with a mean streak, he plays very physical and he's very good defensively, he has a limited offensive game)
19- (tough choice) Picard (good size, with a good offensive game, he needs to work on his skating and get more upper-body strenght, good potential)
20- Booth ( very intense player, good forecheker, good skater , very aware defensively, can play physical, limited offensive upside)

note this is not a mock draft this is just my list of player to select for next year draft for the habs

so what you guys think? :naughty: :banana:

Carbonneau 04-01-2004 01:52 AM

These really aren't players for the Habs to draft, they won't even see the top 15 guys???

This is a mock draft, not a list for the Habs to draft

tiredman 04-01-2004 07:28 AM

I would like to see of these guys drafted by MTL
-Picard
-Montoya
-Chipchura
-Lepisto
-Ladd

Stefan_Latulippe 04-01-2004 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HABS456
I would like to see of these guys drafted by MTL
-Picard
-Montoya
-Chipchura
-Lepisto
-Ladd

I would like the Habs to pick the best defensive forward available. After 2 weeks of posting messages here, I came to the conclusion that forward with offensive talent are not necessary and it is much harder to dump the puck then to score a goal. So I say, lets draft the best puck dumper from the WHL or OHL.

PS I am being sarcastic here but I know some people will recognize themselves :eek:

L3DZ3P 04-01-2004 08:33 AM

If Tukonen is still available in the 15-20 range they should take him.

s7ark 04-01-2004 09:14 AM

I like the forwards and goaltending we've got for the short to medium term. I really think we should plan for Brisebois' retirement. Seems like Komi will be ready to take over for Quintal, but when Brisebois is gone in a couple (I hope atleast 1 or 2 more) we'll have another hole on the right side. Rivet's not exactly young either, so I think a right defenseman should be the pick. That way, when Breeze is on his way out, we should have the next generation getting ready in the AHL. Honestly, I'd be happy with Souray, Markov, and Cube on the left for a few years, so nothing to do there. Everyone down in Hamilton is LH, so we're good for quite a while...

I've been looking around, but it's hard to tell which guys can/will play right d or not. It'd be nice if Wes O'Neill was still available. The guy's huge, and putting up respectable numbers. Mike Green seems to fit the more offensive bill, and would also be a good pick. Fransson is also fairly highly touted, but I am wishing for him in a 6'3 or 6'4 frame. Any other (ideally) RH d-men I should be looking at that are top 1/2 round prospects?

Mooch 04-01-2004 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L3DZ3P
If Tukonen is still available in the 15-20 range they should take him.

He wont be. He is a big forward who can skate and has excellent potential. IMO he will be gone in top ten if not top 5.

Fern 04-01-2004 07:10 PM

Smid

I really liked what I saw from him at WJC and he would be my pick at Habs turn. He's a tall guy that skates well and move the puck with ease. He's not big or nasty but seems to play well in traffic.

Team_Spirit 04-01-2004 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fern
I really liked what I saw from him at WJC and he would be my pick at Habs turn. He's a tall guy that skates well and move the puck with ease. He's not big or nasty but seems to play well in traffic.

me too he's a decent prospect .

Freaky Habs Fan 04-01-2004 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s7ark
I like the forwards and goaltending we've got for the short to medium term. I really think we should plan for Brisebois' retirement. Seems like Komi will be ready to take over for Quintal, but when Brisebois is gone in a couple (I hope atleast 1 or 2 more) we'll have another hole on the right side. Rivet's not exactly young either, so I think a right defenseman should be the pick. That way, when Breeze is on his way out, we should have the next generation getting ready in the AHL. Honestly, I'd be happy with Souray, Markov, and Cube on the left for a few years, so nothing to do there. Everyone down in Hamilton is LH, so we're good for quite a while...

I've been looking around, but it's hard to tell which guys can/will play right d or not. It'd be nice if Wes O'Neill was still available.
The guy's huge, and putting up respectable numbers. Mike Green seems to fit the more offensive bill, and would also be a good pick.
Fransson is also fairly highly touted, but I am wishing for him in a
6'3 or 6'4 frame. Any other (ideally) RH d-men I should be looking
at that are top 1/2 round prospects?

Exactly what I think!!! We have so much good foward prospects and our left D seem O.K for many years. We need a legitimate right D. I would like to have Fransson because we need a good offensive D on the right side and with Souray, Komi, Bouillon and Rivet who are more Bruiser kind of player, we need some pure offence.

Maithz 04-01-2004 10:43 PM

I will always tell you that the Habs have to take a Power Foward !

felixd 04-01-2004 10:49 PM

Let's pick Picard! Because we have the same family name :)

But in all seriousness I don't know much about prospects, so whoever Bob Gainey, AS and TT feel we should pick, I won't question them.

(but i can't wait for the hockey news draft preview)

J-D 04-02-2004 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kryoptix

Schremp is small??? I thought he was like 6'4. Maybe I have this impression from the fact that in his peewee years he overgrew and was taller than everyone?

Mike8 04-02-2004 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-D
Schremp is small??? I thought he was like 6'4. Maybe I have this impression from the fact that in his peewee years he overgrew and was taller than everyone?

He's stocky but not big. Around 5'10 195lbs I believe.

db23 04-02-2004 02:13 AM

Schremp is 6-1 and over 200 pounds. He will top out at around 215 or 220.

Mike8 04-02-2004 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by db23
Schremp is 6-1 and over 200 pounds. He will top out at around 215 or 220.

There is no way he's 6'1. You can tell by watching him play that he's below average height.

I looked it up: official vitals from CSB list him at 5'11 197lbs. 'Official' height always tends to be on the generous side.

db23 04-02-2004 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HABS-65
I will always tell you that the Habs have to take a Power Foward !

How about Adam Pineault? He is a big (6-3, 200) right handed centre. He will slip down in the draft because he didn't score a lot of points as a freshman at Boston College this year. Was considered the best U.S. born prospect a year ago and one of the top half dozen in the world. B.C. was loaded this year, and Pineault was just 17 playing in the NCAA, so I think he will be a real sleeper. I haven't seen him listed in the top 20 of any mock drafts, so there is a good chance he will be there.