HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   No longer a rageaholic, I suck now (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=668007)

octopi 07-29-2009 09:36 AM

No longer a rageaholic, I suck now

I used to be moderatly good at floor hockey because I was so agressive I would run all over the place challenging anyone and anything, stickhandle by just shooting the ball slightly and running to it, and use my strength to get outside, powerful shots on net. Now I am slower, older, heavier and more apathetic. I joined a floor hockey team for a little fun and excersize, but it just seems like a waste of time, and more of a chore than fun right about now. I am also playing a higher level of opponant than I faced in high school....

Saved 07-29-2009 09:46 AM

Is that a question or a statement, and if a question, what is the question?

bunjay 07-29-2009 09:48 AM

hockey is meant to be played on skates, or at least rollerblades. i always found hockey on foot to be frustrating and boring regardless.

octopi 07-29-2009 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rented Mule (Post 20593882)
Is that a question or a statement, and if a question, what is the question?

-A confession?

-A mini blog?

-A search for empathy?

Darned if I know, I just thought I'd mention it:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by bunjay (Post 20593900)
hockey is meant to be played on skates, or at least rollerblades. i always found hockey on foot to be frustrating and boring regardless.

No kidding...they play 4 players and the ball is unhandleable, cannot take passes and can hardly shoot the sucker.I'm quitting when this is over, going to see if maybe I can get back into beginner shinny, at least I was competitive there, when I wasn't terrified I'd get squashed by some mammoth.

EmptyNetter 07-29-2009 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by octopi (Post 20593798)
I used to be moderatly good at floor hockey because I was so agressive I would run all over the place challenging anyone and anything, stickhandle by just shooting the ball slightly and running to it, and use my strength to get outside, powerful shots on net. Now I am slower, older, heavier and more apathetic. I joined a floor hockey team for a little fun and excersize, but it just seems like a waste of time, and more of a chore than fun right about now. I am also playing a higher level of opponant than I faced in high school....

I think the bolded parts are valid reasons for why you may suck (your words, not mine ;) ). The older you get the more important physical conditioning and practice becomes. I feel ya, brother. I'll be 40 in October and I never appreciated my youth when I had it. One thing I can be happy about is I started hockey in my early 30's so right now I'm the best I've ever been. I don't have to compete against a young "me", just against the other guys on the ice.

If you feel you're in over your head you'll probably hate it. Going down a level sounds like a good idea at this point.

bunjay 07-29-2009 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by octopi (Post 20593903)
-A confession?

-A mini blog?

-A search for empathy?

Darned if I know, I just thought I'd mention it:D

No kidding...they play 4 players and the ball is unhandleable, cannot take passes and can hardly shoot the sucker.I'm quitting when this is over, going to see if maybe I can get back into beginner shinny, at least I was competitive there, when I wasn't terrified I'd get squashed by some mammoth.

hockey equipment can be had pretty cheaply these days. playing with people at your skill level or just slightly better is the best way to improve. i dont know what 'beginner' shinny is but here when the public rinks are open in the winter the timeslots are only divided by age, so you show up and get whatever you get. sometimes the best shinny you could possibly imagine, more often too many people and a small number of players who are much better than everyone else. which is great when they use their team, not much fun when they're hogs.

im actually thinking of getting some cheap equipment and joining a house league this winter. never played real organized hockey with regs and full equipment, just lots and lots of shinny and im pretty tired of the variability.

octopi 07-29-2009 03:34 PM

Update: well, at least I played competitively today, it helped the opponant wasn't obviously superior(We spent the previous two games getting beat down by a combined score of something like 20-2)

Astaroth 08-04-2009 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by octopi (Post 20593798)

Ball hockey is based alot on conditioning and positioning. Dangles and the crossovers don't translate to ball hockey at all when playing at a higher level because it's not like you're on the ice and get caught by the drift factor (By B level, it is very hard to use dangles for more than creating space for shots. On the A level - aka canadian national team level/red knights, forget about it. Even a simple toe drag is an invitation to get stripped). This even more amplified if you play passively.

I'm assuming you're playing at a C or D level. Even there unless you have some dirty mitts or a tunderous shot with a quick release; conditioning matter very much.

My advice is... get into hockey shape with some simple dryland training (even a regular interval does wonders). My main thing was awhile was boxing and submission wrestling. I was in shape but it's not hockey shape and I had to change some things to better my ball hockey game and enjoy it more.

The alternative is to play in a lower divison.

dick341 08-05-2009 01:01 AM

MMMMmmmmMMMM rageahol

Joe Cole 08-05-2009 02:55 PM

Get into a division that meets your skills.

Learn to rely on your smarts and playmaking.

I always played a power game, and when I made a transition to high tempo adult leagues, I had to tame my aggressive side, and find a new way to play. I dropped a few levels, and now I play a playmaker/scorer game.

Still lots of fun.

noobman 08-05-2009 04:05 PM

You're not in very good shape, and it's your own fault.

You're not aggressive because you don't have the energy to be aggressive. Being fat sucks, doesn't it?