HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Speculation: Stralman's Departure Leaves Organization in Need of a Puckmover (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=668358)

TruthDeliveryVehicle* 07-30-2009 12:38 PM

Stralman's Departure Leaves Organization in Need of a Puckmover
 
Quote:

When Anton Stralman was moved due to the waiver situation that would present itself this October, the position he held within the Leafs organization as the heir apparent to Tomas Kaberle was left vacant. With so many pro defenseman on the roster and the fact that Stralman’s progress has been shaky and that he would be eligible for waivers made moving Stralman for a reasonable return a good option. But, the Marlies success may be hampered by the fact that they do not have much offense coming from their defense. Furthermore, with a strong offer, Kaberle could be on the move as well, which would leave the Leafs almost completely devoid of a true puckmover throughout their system.
http://www.tmlcentral.com/2009/07/st...f-a-puckmover/

Who do you guys think are our other possible options to spend a year or two developing with the Marlies in preparation to take over for Tomas Kaberle?

I think Cody Franson is a good target.

Dark Knight 07-30-2009 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher Lee (Post 20608008)
http://www.tmlcentral.com/2009/07/st...f-a-puckmover/

Who do you guys think are our other possible options to spend a year or two developing with the Marlies in preparation to take over for Tomas Kaberle?

I think Cody Franson is a good target.

He's far from a PMD, though.

mooseOAK* 07-30-2009 12:41 PM

Stralman was moved due to a surplus of defencemen, why would Burke go out and try to replace him now?

Funny that someone who writes about the Leafs doesn't know that Ian White is on the team.

ugotmybeef* 07-30-2009 12:41 PM

I mentioned that earlier how we need one more stud forward prospect and one puck moving D prospect. Everyone seems intent on trading Kaberle without checking the implications of what a move would do. Poor transition game, young guy's dont' produce, lack of development etc. If you have one in place, trading Kabs is a smart move, but if you don't you're stuck.

bluumax 07-30-2009 12:42 PM

our defense is solid at the least. the next step for this team is a top six forward.

Raptactics29 07-30-2009 12:46 PM

Cody Franson would be a sweet addition, I like 6'5, 220lbs Dmen who can skate and shot.. I'd be very happy if we could land him

stoney 07-30-2009 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mooseOAK (Post 20608053)
Stralman was moved due to a surplus of defencemen, why would Burke go out and try to replace him now?

Funny that someone who writes about the Leafs doesn't know that Ian White is on the team.

Talking about the farm system lacking offensive defensemen.

It wouldn't hurt getting something thrown into a trade to possibly fill the gap on the Marlies.

dredeye 07-30-2009 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ugotmybeef (Post 20608055)
I mentioned that earlier how we need one more stud forward prospect and one puck moving D prospect. Everyone seems intent on trading Kaberle without checking the implications of what a move would do. Poor transition game, young guy's dont' produce, lack of development etc. If you have one in place, trading Kabs is a smart move, but if you don't you're stuck.

Easy cowboy. Moving Kaberle will NOT cripple the development of our youth or kill their production. Burke said that Schenn was our best outlet passer last year and we still have White and MVR who are both good puck movers and can anchor the pp's. Moving Kaberle obviously is tough but your really stretching things here. There are also teams with a good number of d prospects so another trade could be made. look at NAS and NYR for example.

John-Eric Iannicello 07-30-2009 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stoneymcstone (Post 20608124)
Talking about the farm system lacking offensive defensemen.

It wouldn't hurt getting something thrown into a trade to possibly fill the gap on the Marlies.

Sign a career AHL defender to a contract.

I'm sure there are some out there.

stoney 07-30-2009 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello (Post 20608157)
Sign a career AHL defender to a contract.

I'm sure there are some out there.

I don't think Nolan Baumgartner is the answer for the future. Haha

ugotmybeef* 07-30-2009 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dredeye (Post 20608137)
Easy cowboy. Moving Kaberle will NOT cripple the development of our youth or kill their production. Burke said that Schenn was our best outlet passer last year and we still have White and MVR who are both good puck movers and can anchor the pp's. Moving Kaberle obviously is tough but your really stretching things here. There are also teams with a good number of d prospects so another trade could be made. look at NAS and NYR for example.

when your best puck mover will barely top the 30 point barrier you know you're in trouble. How are you supposed to create offence when you can't fully move the puck up the zone. To acquire one you have to give to get, meaning what you want for Kabs (Kessel like package) is not what you're going to get.

smoke meat pete* 07-30-2009 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salsabil (Post 20608039)
He's far from a PMD, though.

There is definately a misconception that a player who is good offensively is automatically a good puck mover. MVR is good offensively, but not necessarily a good puck mover. He needs a puck mover to be successful. Kaberle is an elite puck mover, and is good offensively but he has his weaknesses in the offensive zone. White is as close to Kaberle as we have as a puck mover, but he is above avaerage at best.

John-Eric Iannicello 07-30-2009 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stoneymcstone (Post 20608198)
I don't think Nolan Baumgartner is the answer for the future. Haha

I meant for this year, if there isn't a prospect that can be had for cheap.

stoney 07-30-2009 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello (Post 20608320)
I meant for this year, if there isn't a prospect that can be had for cheap.

I don't know. If they can't find a stud, maybe they should see if someone can alter their game to suit?

There are tonnes of options. But it would be nice to trade for a "Stralman" from somewhere else that still has a chance to blossom. Especially if it means giving up an aging PK'er (Mayers)

dredeye 07-30-2009 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ugotmybeef (Post 20608233)
when your best puck mover will barely top the 30 point barrier you know you're in trouble. How are you supposed to create offence when you can't fully move the puck up the zone. To acquire one you have to give to get, meaning what you want for Kabs (Kessel like package) is not what you're going to get.

Maybe you could not put words in my mouth. I have never mentioned Kessel. The only time I would have would have been when that trade almost happened. I'm not expecting the world for Kaberle like some. With increased ice time you don't expect anyone's point totals to go up? We can move Stemp back to the point on the pp if needed. There are always options and moving Kaberle is a good one.

mooseOAK* 07-30-2009 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stoneymcstone (Post 20608124)
Talking about the farm system lacking offensive defensemen.

It wouldn't hurt getting something thrown into a trade to possibly fill the gap on the Marlies.

I don't think that throw in to a trade is going to be part of the future.

Someone was looking for something to write about and made up a scenario, that's all this is.

ugotmybeef* 07-30-2009 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dredeye (Post 20608393)
Maybe you could not put words in my mouth. I have never mentioned Kessel. The only time I would have would have been when that trade almost happened. I'm not expecting the world for Kaberle like some. With increased ice time you don't expect anyone's point totals to go up? We can move Stemp back to the point on the pp if needed. There are always options and moving Kaberle is a good one.

so you're going to put Stempniak on D for 5 on 5 a well. I mentioned Kessel like package, highly toughted young player, not the package itself. Maybe you should clean the garbage stuck to your eyes.

TruthDeliveryVehicle* 07-30-2009 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mooseOAK (Post 20608053)
Stralman was moved due to a surplus of defencemen, why would Burke go out and try to replace him now?

Funny that someone who writes about the Leafs doesn't know that Ian White is on the team.

I was talking about the organizational need. The Marlies don't have anyone, and although I like Ian White. I don't think he's ever going to be Kaberle's replacement. He's a solid 5-6th defenseman who can move the puck.

Everyone knows about Ian White, I was trying to highlight guys that people don't know who play that type of game.

Not sure why you're so belligerent all the time. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Get over yourself.

AlienWorkShop 07-30-2009 01:25 PM

Kaberle's only 31. If Burke's keeping him around now, I'd imagine he's in for the long haul and puckmovers like him have some longevity. As a quick example, Lidstrom (not that I'm comparing their skill levels) is still going strong into his late 30s. Leetch was very good for us at 36, the lockout was probably what really slowed him down.

Kaberle's easily got 5-8 years of effective play left in him. I don't see the rush for an up and coming puckmoving defenceman just yet. Even then, we've got White to fill in as a secondary puck mover.

EazyB97 07-30-2009 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlienWorkShop (Post 20608667)
Kaberle's only 31. If Burke's keeping him around now, I'd imagine he's in for the long haul and puckmovers like him have some longevity. As a quick example, Lidstrom (not that I'm comparing their skill levels) is still going strong into his late 30s. Leetch was very good for us at 36, the lockout was probably what really slowed him down.

Kaberle's easily got 5-8 years of effective play left in him. I don't see the rush for an up and coming puckmoving defenceman just yet. Even then, we've got White to fill in as a secondary puck mover.

Leetch also had injury issues and surgery that caught up to him. Kaberle's game isn't too physically demanding, so he should have some longevity.

LTL 07-30-2009 01:33 PM

Are there no short term solutions via the UFA until we draft and develop from within? ;)

dredeye 07-30-2009 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ugotmybeef (Post 20608428)
so you're going to put Stempniak on D for 5 on 5 a well. I mentioned Kessel like package, highly toughted young player, not the package itself. Maybe you should clean the garbage stuck to your eyes.

Or you could. If you'd actually take the time to read a post you may understand things better. I said Stemp on the PP which deals with that problem. Schenn was considered by management to be our best outlet passer last year not Kaberle. White is a good young offensive dman. MVR is a two way dman with a strong outlet pass. Beauchemin was used on Anaheim's pp and has a strong outlet pass. Really get a clue. With the Kessel like package you mentioned. You said you won't get the kind of package you expect for Kaberle. That is addressing me personally when your responding to my post. So yeah wake up and read a post before responding.

ULF_55 07-30-2009 02:05 PM

No rush for a puck mover, as there is no openings in the next couple seasons anyway on the Leafs.

Let's just let the kids play and who knows what will happen on the Marlies.

mooseOAK* 07-30-2009 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher Lee (Post 20608602)
I was talking about the organizational need. The Marlies don't have anyone, and although I like Ian White. I don't think he's ever going to be Kaberle's replacement. He's a solid 5-6th defenseman who can move the puck.

Everyone knows about Ian White, I was trying to highlight guys that people don't know who play that type of game.

Not sure why you're so belligerent all the time. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Get over yourself.

Didn't know it was your article but that doesn't change my response. I assumed that someone promoting another hockey site on HFBoards wasn't allowed but I'm wrong I guess.

The Leafs have the option of re-signing Kaberle and they still have Ian White despite your low opinion of him and there is a draft next year too. Plenty of options and if there wasn't I am sure that Stralman would be kept around.

arrbez 07-30-2009 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher Lee (Post 20608602)
Not sure why you're so belligerent all the time. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Get over yourself.

Seconded.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.