HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   News Article: Pronger's contract investigated (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=668664)

chimrichalds18 07-31-2009 01:12 PM

Pronger's contract investigated

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php via sporting news

Quote:

from Craig Custance of the Sporting News,

Marian Hossa’ contract isn’t the only one being scrutinized by the NHL. An NHL source told SportingNews.com that the league is investigating Philadelphia’s 7-year deal with Chris Pronger to see if it circumvented the CBA and salary cap.

NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly confirmed the investigation of Pronger’s contract in an e-mail to SportingNews.com.

Daly said Pronger’s contract was being investigated for the same reasons as Hossa’s deal.

Shadow Flyer 07-31-2009 01:13 PM

Well isn't that great news.....

IrishSniper87 07-31-2009 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 (Post 20621040)

I totally called that one.

BrindamoursNose 07-31-2009 01:15 PM

Why investigate it? I thought it was for the most part established that Pronger's will count against the cap anyway?

Shadow Flyer 07-31-2009 01:15 PM

You know what I don't get about all this? Why does the NHL approve the contract and THEN go about investigating it? Like, shouldn't that be done in reverse order?

chimrichalds18 07-31-2009 01:16 PM

maybe i'm just being naive since it's my team, but pronger seems like a guy who really wants to play - the hatcher mold (mentally). i donno that he'd sign a deal with any extra years knowing that he wasn't going to play them. call it pride or whatever

IrishSniper87 07-31-2009 01:21 PM

This is ****ing stupid BTW. The NHL should not approve such a deal and THEN investigate.

It's a little late at this point.

FlyersFanJS 07-31-2009 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowFlyer (Post 20621076)
You know what I don't get about all this? Why does the NHL approve the contract and THEN go about investigating it? Like, shouldn't that be done in reverse order?

This is what confuses me also...

"ok, no problem, we'll process it"

weeks later....

"wait a minute...."

I suppose that contracts being legal documents, they probably require some time to sort through

mikedifr 07-31-2009 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowFlyer (Post 20621076)

That would make much too much sense for the NHL

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 (Post 20621151)
This is ****ing stupid BTW. The NHL should not approve such a deal and THEN investigate.

It's a little late at this point.

This is the CBA the NHL and the owners wanted.....Deal with the consequences until the time comes to renegotiate

HoverCarle* 07-31-2009 01:25 PM

Well since we have a cap hit if he retires I dont think its on the same leg as hossa and co

IrishSniper87 07-31-2009 01:26 PM

If Pronger and Hossa get investigated, they HAVE to investigate Zetterberg. His deal is exactly like Hossa's.

Shadow Flyer 07-31-2009 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersFanJS (Post 20621170)
This is what confuses me also...

"ok, no problem, we'll process it"

weeks later....

"wait a minute...."

I suppose that contracts being legal documents, they probably require some time to sort through

Yea, I guess there has to be a sensible reason. They did the same thing to the Leafs on the Frogren contract. Approved it, then docked them a draft pick later. One would think if there's a problem, the NHL should notify the teams and player first so that they can fix it before they're penalized.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikedifr (Post 20621180)
That would make much too much sense for the NHL

Sad but true.

claude boivin lives 07-31-2009 01:27 PM

It's dumb that they'd approve it and then investigate it.

It's nowhere near as bad as Hossa's, and Franzen's and Zetterberg's are worse as well. We can't be relieved of Pronger's cap hit, haven't we punished ourselves with that situation enough to not be punished by the NHL, haha. Seriously though, if the Flyers catch any flack for Pronger's contract, Detroit and Chicago both better wind up in deep **** too...and that **** better be much deeper.

MiamiScreamingEagles 07-31-2009 01:31 PM

It is a different scene but anyone remember when the Flyers traded Pete Peeters/Keith Acton to the Jets before the waiver draft then the Jets traded the pair back to the Flyers after the draft for a future pick?

Afterwards, John Zeigler said there was no evidence that the teams were lying but he still fined the Flyers and Jets saying that it was a "loaning of players" which was prohibited by NHL bylaws despite the fact that both organizations said the transaction was legit and the Jets got a draft pick in return.

turkinaa 07-31-2009 01:34 PM

Pronger's contract isn't the same as Hossa's because of the length, salary break down per year, and the age which they signed the contract/when the extension begins. I have a feeling that it'll come back fine and they are doing this because they (1) have a bias against the Flyers (or so it always seems) and (2) they want to make everyone feel they are doing their jobs by not just looking into the Hawks. What every happened to looking into Ohlund's contract?

DockEllisExperience 07-31-2009 01:35 PM

Why didn't the NHL realize this when the Wings did this twice with Zed and Franz. So ****ing stupid, it's like they just realized there is a loop hole...

IrishSniper87 07-31-2009 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DockEllisExperience (Post 20621332)
Why didn't the NHL realize this when the Wings did this twice with Zed and Franz. So ****ing stupid, it's like they just realized there is a loop hole...

Exactly. When the Wings got away with it, twice, Chicago just one-upped them. Philadelphia follows suit. And then the NHL goes ...

"wait a sec, hmmm, something looks fishy"

after giving all the contracts the thumbs up.

:help: !

mikedifr 07-31-2009 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 (Post 20621352)
Exactly. When the Wings got away with it, twice, Chicago just one-upped them. Philadelphia follows suit. And then the NHL goes ...

"wait a sec, hmmm, something looks fishy"

after giving all the contracts the thumbs up.

:help: !

Its obviously cause Philly did it :D

GoneFullHextall 07-31-2009 01:47 PM

I am totally shocked by this news.:sarcasm:

PF 07-31-2009 01:55 PM

I actually think investigating Chicago's contract with Hossa makes sense since it is an unintended circumvention of the salary cap (yes they're investigating it too late, I also agree with that), call it creative accountancy or whatever you will.

Don't really see where they're going with this investigation into the Flyers though since Pronger is slated to count against the cap regardless of retirement. It makes all the difference in my opinion.

Jules801 07-31-2009 02:00 PM

I truly believe that no one in the NHL really has a clue about anything, and just makes **** up as they go along.

PF 07-31-2009 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jules801 (Post 20621652)
I truly believe that no one in the NHL really has a clue about anything, and just makes **** up as they go along.

That I tend to agree with as well, considering some of Campbell's interviews. His method of handing out suspensions is a pretty laughable example of the NHL at work.

BillyShoe1721 07-31-2009 02:13 PM

Why are they investigating us? We're not circumventing the cap with his contract, we're more or less being punished by it.

Jester 07-31-2009 02:13 PM

Investigating Hossa? Makes sense, I wouldn't be shocked at all if he has no intention of playing out the length of that contract.

Investigating Pronger? That I don't get...we get stuck with the cap hit if he does retire (thus, it can't "circumvent the cap"), so then they're just investigating whether the Flyers are giving away money to a player they want on their team and accepting a salary cap hit long-term?

CanadianFlyer88 07-31-2009 02:14 PM

I'm surprised the league is looking into Pronger's contract, if only for the fact that the Flyers will be stuck with a hefty cap hit if he retires.