HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   San Jose Sharks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Speculation: Heatley or kessel (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=669195)

yake16 08-02-2009 06:09 PM

Heatley or kessel

ok...so there are rumors that the sharks are close to a deal to get Dany Heatley, and there are also rumors that the sharks are trying to pursue Phill Kessel. My question is who would fellow sharks fans rather have? Dany Heatley, or Phill kessel...

Le Rosbeef 08-02-2009 06:15 PM

Didn't both come originally from Eklund just a few days after DW told us to be patient?

I wouldn't place much stock in either right now.

Purely hypothetically (with no cap, attitude or contract issues clouding the situation) though I'd prefer Heatley.

yake16 08-02-2009 06:21 PM

im not sure...i think the kessel rumor came from eklund. Although im just asking who fellow sharks fanswould prefer to have in the lineup next season

WestCoast 08-02-2009 06:22 PM

Heatley to the Sharks is all over the place right now, I'd imagine that does have serious wheels. And if I had to choose I would really be happy with either but probably would lean a little more towards Kessel.

yake16 08-02-2009 06:23 PM

i would rather have kessel..i think hes 22 and still has alot of potential to go along with his 6 points in 70 games last season

D Huang 08-02-2009 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharkyMcWoo (Post 20641169)
Didn't both come originally from Eklund just a few days after DW told us to be patient?

I wouldn't place much stock in either right now.

Purely hypothetically (with no cap, attitude or contract issues clouding the situation) though I'd prefer Heatley.

i agree with this. its doubtful kessel will ever reach heatley's level. i think this whole situation has muddied heatley's reputation, but he is an elite player, bottom line

Kitten Mittons 08-02-2009 06:30 PM

Marleau, Cheechoo, Lukowich for Heatley and a 3rd.

Do it, DW! We're gonna be riiiiiich!!! :yo:

But it's not gonna happen. Although I don't see why Marleau is so stubborn. He has only one year left in his contract; he can leave Ottawa next year, leave his family in SJ.
edit: BTW - http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=286562 . Let it not be a first round pick, Dougie. And I don't want to part with Error either. :(

yake16 08-02-2009 06:33 PM

i think thats a fair proposal for both teams...if marleau would want to go to ottowa

SJeasy 08-02-2009 06:47 PM

I don't want either for reasons of competitiveness in the post season. There are issues with both players. Of the two, I find Kessel the least objectionable because of age.

Neither player addresses the core issue of competitiveness of the lower lines, and in fact will make it just that more difficult to address that issue. Teams that compete for the cup have players who compete with each other for roster spots. Neither of these players address that issue. I don't want the Sharks to end up with a star-studded team that does nothing in the post-season. The Rags and Flyers have been doing it for years . . . the wrong way.

FreeVille 08-02-2009 07:06 PM

i like heatley because him and thornton could be the best 1 2 punch in the NHL. But he would cost too much, and **** ottawa for wanting the world. if i were dougie, id sit and wait til the sens come down with their price.

Wasnt Kessel supposed to be the right handed, USA version of Sidney Crosby or somethin like that? I remember he was big news when he was drafted but because of an injury (i dont follow east coast sports at all) he kinda dipped in his production.

I like the team we have. It gives us a dynasty and not a one year wonder.

one2gamble 08-02-2009 07:13 PM

i feel like getting heater will just turn us into the sens, 1 great line, 1 ok line and a bunch of scrubs.

Id rather get kessel but it depends on the money, at this point I would rather have Milan and Error than Kessel.

Mr Scarface* 08-02-2009 07:55 PM

Both of them are fantastic for us, especially for the Playoffs. :sarcasm:

Kessel is so tough, we really gotta get him, he's exactly what we need for our playoff run. I'm talkin bout those tough playoff games of course. :sarcasm:

Heatley would make this team so much more united and better. He ain't selfish at all. :sarcasm:

:sarcasm:

WestCoast 08-02-2009 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one2gamble (Post 20641699)
i feel like getting heater will just turn us into the sens, 1 great line, 1 ok line and a bunch of scrubs.

Id rather get kessel but it depends on the money, at this point I would rather have Milan and Error than Kessel.

Nah no matter what we will still have a lot more depth than they did. Our second line will still be solid, and our 3rd line with McGinn and Mitchell should be very good.

Winky 08-02-2009 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Scarface (Post 20642057)
Both of them are fantastic for us, especially for the Playoffs. :sarcasm:

Kessel is so tough, we really gotta get him, he's exactly what we need for our playoff run. I'm talkin bout those tough playoff games of course. :sarcasm:

Heatley would make this team so much more united and better. He ain't selfish at all. :sarcasm:

:sarcasm:

So, wait. Since you put sarcasm smileys after every sentence, and THEN a sarcasm smiley after the entire post, does that mean you were sarcastic about the initial sarcasm? Or just doubley sarcastic ... ?
:huh:

Nighthock 08-02-2009 08:26 PM

Either is fine with me.

rideaucrusher21 08-02-2009 08:28 PM

kessel is young and will soon become a super star. i'd have to go with hiim.
although heater + joe = 50 goals or so for heater. hmmm.... get it done dwil

Vaasa 08-02-2009 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJeasy (Post 20641480)
I don't want either for reasons of competitiveness in the post season. There are issues with both players. Of the two, I find Kessel the least objectionable because of age.

Neither player addresses the core issue of competitiveness of the lower lines, and in fact will make it just that more difficult to address that issue. Teams that compete for the cup have players who compete with each other for roster spots. Neither of these players address that issue. I don't want the Sharks to end up with a star-studded team that does nothing in the post-season. The Rags and Flyers have been doing it for years . . . the wrong way.

Ding, ding, ding, ding!!! Sign me up for the Easy Train. Although I would like Kessel for the right price, that's very unlikely. But depth is what this team lacks, and what it needs.

marty20 08-02-2009 08:53 PM

Heatley. A couple of 50 goal seasons under his belt already. 50 goals would be a very optimistic upside for Kessel.

Fatturdmanshark 08-02-2009 09:35 PM

Im just waitin for Doug Wilson to come out, highly agitated,claiming there is no truth to all of these rumors and speculation..lol

Ender 08-02-2009 10:01 PM

If Kessel was a winger I want Kessel over Heatley. The Sharks have enough centers and converted centers on the team. Pluss with Kessels young age any issues people have with him still have hope to be ironed out. With Heatley, you get what you see (Albatross contract and all).

Vaasa 08-02-2009 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ender (Post 20643211)
If Kessel was a winger I want Kessel over Heatley. The Sharks have enough centers and converted centers on the team. Pluss with Kessels young age any issues people have with him still have hope to be ironed out. With Heatley, you get what you see (Albatross contract and all).

Kessel played wing pretty much all last year. Just like Marleau did. At this point he is essentially a center who has converted to wing.

tiburon12 08-02-2009 10:03 PM

without trying to sound like an *******, i think Kessel's value will seriously drop in about 2-3 years due to his fight with cancer. He already looks mad old, and i cant see his body taking it for so long.

to answer the question though, I'd take Heatley, but if kessel came at a lesser cost (retaining Michalek and vlassic and marleau primarily) id go with him

Ender 08-02-2009 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaasa (Post 20643220)
Kessel played wing pretty much all last year. Just like Marleau did. At this point he is essentially a center who has converted to wing.

Hince the reason I tossed in the idea the Sharks also have enough converted wingers.

krudmonk 08-02-2009 10:16 PM

Whichever has less baggage...

Pinkfloyd 08-02-2009 10:31 PM

I doubt I'd want either at what the likely cost would be for them. I think Heatley's going to cost us Ehrhoff and Michalek. I think Kessel would cost us McGinn, Petrecki, and a 1st.