HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Stajan - what do you expect for 2009/2010? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=669461)

Cheli 08-03-2009 06:55 PM

Stajan - what do you expect for 2009/2010?

Read this over at HockeyAnalysis: http://leafs.hockeyanalysis.com/2009...-bust-or-echo/

Quote:

Over the course of the full season though, it would become apparent that much of Stajanís offense depended upon Antropov and Ponikarovsky. He played 2241 shifts with the towering wingers, easily seeing more ice time with those two than any other players, and his production followed. Of his 55 points in total, 23 were scored with the full trio on the ice, while more specifically Antropov or Ponikarovsky (or both) assisted on 7 of his 15 goals, and scored 19 of the 40 goals he assisted on. That means one or the other of the big ex-Soviets was involved on 26 of the 55 points he produced, or 47% of his offence. The next closest pairing would be Boyd Devereaux and Jeff Hamilton, who produced 6 points along with Stajan.
It got me thinking. Has Stajan hit his peak in terms of points? How much do you think he depended on his linemates? Will he find chemistry with his new linemates and continue to grow?

Assuming he's not traded, what do you predict from Matt Stajan for the upcoming season?

And I don't really want it to become a "he's not skilled enough for the top 6 or gritty enough for the bottom 6," I just want to know what you expect from him this season, either in terms of points or just in general (progress, regression, a bit of both).

thepublichairs 08-03-2009 06:57 PM

i honestly do not have high expectations for Stajan but im positive he can and will put up at least 15goals and 45pts.

LeafErikson* 08-03-2009 06:59 PM

I'm not sold this offense is going to do well at all this season. I really see a team struggling to score goals. Stajan will be one of a few forwards that struggle this season. He will prove himself in the defensive zone, which will be needed.

I think we all need to be prepared for a tough, frustrating season offensively.

akiberg* 08-03-2009 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheli (Post 20651472)
Read this over at HockeyAnalysis: http://leafs.hockeyanalysis.com/2009...-bust-or-echo/

It got me thinking. Has Stajan hit his peak in terms of points? How much do you think he depended on his linemates? Will he find chemistry with his new linemates and continue to grow?

Assuming he's not traded, what do you predict from Matt Stajan for the upcoming season?

And I don't really want it to become a "he's not skilled enough for the top 6 or gritty enough for the bottom 6," I just want to know what you expect from him this season, either in terms of points or just in general (progress, regression, a bit of both).

20 goals, 37 assists. 109 pts.

Inigo Montoya 08-03-2009 07:04 PM

If he's not traded, I will expect roughly 40 pts with 10-15 goals. This team is going to struggle to score goals. We are missing two big time contributors to our powerplay, Antropov and Kubina, and replaced them with nothing to contribute to our powerplay besides possibly Beauchemin.

Canad93 08-03-2009 07:04 PM

I'm going to go with 15 goals and 45-50 assists.
Not that I think he'll get much better, but I think a few of our young forwards will begin to blossom. More points for Kulemin and Mitchell, maybe Bozak makes the show, Hagman plays a full season...

thepublichairs 08-03-2009 07:06 PM

who here thinks if the leafs dont start scorin goals we will become the 06 boston bruins using the trap.

Patty Lee 08-03-2009 07:09 PM

unfortunately I don't expect much from Matty.

bobermay 08-03-2009 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheli (Post 20651472)

I don't know what that report is really saying...

If Stajan produced around half his points with the Antropov and Ponikarovsky line which he played about half the season with... how did he rely on Antropov and Ponikarovsky? He recorded his other half with different players (And worse players).

So this report is telling me that Stajan can produce with different players, and produce 2nd line numbers at that....

Personally. I think that Stajan is a 2nd line centerman, and a good one at that. He has a good two way game, good playmaking skills, good awarness, and is physical. He does everything well... just not great. What else do you want from a 2nd line winger. (edit: Centre)

Now, will Stajan get these oppertunities again is another question.

stoney 08-03-2009 07:31 PM

Looking for a new contract, I bet he plays well. Lets hope so.

Brown Dog 08-03-2009 07:33 PM

14-18 goals, 30-35 assists.

I'd love it if he had a real breakthrough season, cemented himself as our de facto number one centre, and put up a 25-45-70 type line. But I don't really expect it.

SteveV* 08-03-2009 07:37 PM

If he's not traded, I expect him to be a healthy scratch a few nights, 10 minute player the rest of the time.

Cheli 08-03-2009 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stoneymcstone (Post 20651856)
Looking for a new contract, I bet he plays well. Lets hope so.

I forgot about that. He's a UFA too, so he'll expect more money. Though I don't think there's going to be a huge bidding war.

mooseOAK* 08-03-2009 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveV (Post 20651928)
If he's not traded, I expect him to be a healthy scratch a few nights, 10 minute player the rest of the time.

Quite a smart fan base we have here.

akiberg* 08-03-2009 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveV (Post 20651928)

based on what exactly? actually watching him play or reading ugotmybeef posts on him?

Patty Lee 08-03-2009 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mooseOAK (Post 20651947)
Quite a smart fan base we have here.

and what do you expect moose?

XanderCell 08-03-2009 07:43 PM

If he play's top six minutes he'll get around 13g 32a and 45 points, imo this will be stajan's last season with the leafs. Thats if he even makes it to training camp as a member of the blue and white

bobermay 08-03-2009 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobermay (Post 20651822)
I don't know what that report is really saying...

If Stajan produced around half his points with the Antropov and Ponikarovsky line which he played about half the season with... how did he rely on Antropov and Ponikarovsky? He recorded his other half with different players (And worse players).

So this report is telling me that Stajan can produce with different players, and produce 2nd line numbers at that....

Personally. I think that Stajan is a 2nd line centerman, and a good one at that. He has a good two way game, good playmaking skills, good awarness, and is physical. He does everything well... just not great. What else do you want from a 2nd line winger. (edit: Centre)

Now, will Stajan get these oppertunities again is another question.

Anyone?

I'm still confused on this.

The report is saying that Stajan relied on Antropov and Ponikarovsky.
-It states that Stajan played with Antropov and Ponikarovsky more than any other pairing, which is true.
- This is also when Stajan got most of his icetime.

But from my memory, didn't Stajan play roughly half the season with Antropov and Ponikarovsky. Maybe a bit more.... but he produced 47% of his points with this line... meaning he produced 53% with the likes of Hagman, Blake, Stempniak, Deveaux, Devereaux and Hamilton.

So how does this mean that Stajan relied on Antropov and Ponikarovsky?

This also means that he can adapt with different wingers, and he can still produce 2nd line numbers with them.

I really don't understand what this article is getting at...

mooseOAK* 08-03-2009 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Around in 67 (Post 20651987)
and what do you expect moose?

I don't even want a miracle, there must be people out there.

SteveV* 08-03-2009 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akiberg (Post 20651973)
based on what exactly? actually watching him play or reading ugotmybeef posts on him?

Watching him play for years. I don't think Stajan is a top six forward, and he's not really third line material, based on what Burke wants. Stajan is average on the PK, below average on the PP (I actually cringe watching him), weak in the corners and has limited offensive upside. I see him being traded, but if that doesn't happen, the only way I see him getting big ice time is if we try to pad his numbers for a later trade.

I don't hate Stajan, but he's just so average and he's not getting any better. I could care less what he did last year, because you're pretty much guaranteed that production playing top line minutes, between Poni and Antro. That's a big whoop for me. I'd rather give one of the kids a shot than have Stajan filling a role.

ThinMcWhistle 08-03-2009 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveV (Post 20652433)
Watching him play for years. I don't think Stajan is a top six forward, and he's not really third line material, based on what Burke wants. Stajan is average on the PK, below average on the PP (I actually cringe watching him), weak in the corners and has limited offensive upside. I see him being traded, but if that doesn't happen, the only way I see him getting big ice time is if we try to pad his numbers for a later trade.

I don't hate Stajan, but he's just so average and he's not getting any better. I could care less what he did last year, because you're pretty much guaranteed that production playing top line minutes, between Poni and Antro. That's a big whoop for me. I'd rather give one of the kids a shot than have Stajan filling a role.

Stajan is a big softie who plays soft and hits soft. He is not your prototypical Burke type of player. I've watched him playing on this team for years now waiting for something amazing to happen, but like Tom I'm left to wait.

I don't expect anything great from him, maybe 40-50 pts, which is still yeoman's duty, but nothing too special.

I personally like Matt, but he may not figure into this "tough guy" lineup.

Leafidelity 08-03-2009 08:39 PM

48ish points, playing with Blake for the majority of the season. Lots of secondary assists.

Chea* 08-03-2009 08:48 PM

Stajan is a goner after this season. Not even sure if he'll make it through the season.

Decent player though. If we had a legit 1st line center ahead of him I wouldn't mind keeping him around.

Arian 08-03-2009 08:54 PM

35-40 Points if he's not traded.

stoney 08-03-2009 09:22 PM

To be fair, Stajan plays fairly well when he plays 20 minutes a game. But there is an inherent problem with having Matt Stajan playing that much as he is not a 1st line centre. If he could translate his game into being 3rd/4th line for 10 minutes a game and PK, he could be a really quality player when he isnt relied on for being a top player.