HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   San Jose Sharks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Speculation: [UPD] Marleau-Heatley speculation, etc.; 3-way trade debunked 9/10 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=669772)

SpinTheBlackCircle 08-04-2009 04:34 PM

[UPD] Marleau-Heatley speculation, etc.; 3-way trade debunked 9/10

and go!

DrFeelgood 08-04-2009 04:34 PM

Who's this Heatley guy? I had no idea he wanted to be traded. :sarcasm:

SharkXJ 08-04-2009 04:40 PM

I have read through most of the posts on this subject and one thing hasn't been answered - If we stand pat with the team we have then don't we still need to clear cap space to sign RFA's and so on? From what I can tell Heatley would only make $3.5 next year which is less than Cheech and Erhoff combined. Is the focus here on what he would ask for the following years?

SJeasy 08-04-2009 04:43 PM

Vaasa,
On comparables, they take the salaries of RFA years. If a contract bridges RFA and UFA, they can use the RFA years of the contract as comps. The $3.9mil looks about right.

On Zherdev, the writing was on the wall. The Rags (and Tortorella) don't like him. They were going to walk no matter what. IMO, if the Thrashers are willing to spend, Zherdev would be a great fit for them (Kozlov will retire soon). The Wild could use him as well. I don't think he is a good fit for the Sharks; he duplicates too much of what the Sharks already have.

Le Rosbeef 08-04-2009 04:51 PM

To think that people on here questioned Kessel and Heatley's attitudes but are contemplating Zherdev is astonishing.

Talented, fine. Obviously. Do I want his attitude on the Sharks? No way. The absolute antithesis of what we need on this team.

hockeyball 08-04-2009 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharkXJ (Post 20663498)
I have read through most of the posts on this subject and one thing hasn't been answered - If we stand pat with the team we have then don't we still need to clear cap space to sign RFA's and so on? From what I can tell Heatley would only make $3.5 next year which is less than Cheech and Erhoff combined. Is the focus here on what he would ask for the following years?

His cap hit is still 7.5m, we just would only have to outlay 3.5 in cash.

Which I'm sure the owners would love.

Rickety Cricket 08-04-2009 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharkXJ (Post 20663498)

While salary wise Heatley would only be making $3.5 million, his cap hit would still be $7.5 million which is tough to swallow.

SharkXJ 08-04-2009 04:57 PM

Thanks - Seasoned NHL fan but the cap still confuses the hell out of me sometimes.....

Graveland 08-04-2009 05:02 PM

No to all 3
Heatley - Attitude to Expensive, can't afford losing any prospects for him

Kessel - Will probably be resigned by Bruins

Zherdev - Expensive & playoff under performer not to mention he goes hot and cold alot.

SharkXJ 08-04-2009 05:12 PM

I like this colum from Spector....

"SPECTOR'S NOTE: You can tell it's the dog days of summer as that's when some of the wildest trade scenarios you've ever seen come to light. That last one looks like it was hatched by the same fanciful minds which brought us the Obama birth certificate nonsense. I'm not blaming the reporters, they're merely letting us know what's swirling in the mill, but clearly the originators of some of these rumors aren't working in reality.

They also conveniently overlook the fact Marleau has a no-trade clause, and I daresay he has no intention of accepting a trade to Montreal because the last thing he wants in his life is the pressure that comes with the fishbowl existence of being a Hab. And for those who believe Marleau would do so to "accept a trade back home to Quebec", he was born and raised in Saskatchewan, dum-dums. Not every NHL player with a French last name was born and raised in Quebec. And for that matter, not everyone Quebec-born player is pining to go to Montreal.

It wouldn't surprise me if Murray and Wilson had discussed a trade involving Heatley and I believe Wilson would like to make a major roster shake-up, but he's not going to blow up his roster for an expensive scoring winger. Gainey undoubtedly would love to land a big scoring center but I doubt he's going to make a major trade for one by October, and if his major roster moves this summer work out over the course of the upcoming season he'll be even less inclined to do so. Unless another team gets into the mix I don't believe Heatley will be going to San Jose."

hockeyball 08-04-2009 05:15 PM

I think the more important debate is who are we going to resurrect this season?

I say go for broke, how about a honest to god dead guy this time?

SJeasy 08-04-2009 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyball (Post 20663982)

Is there a hockey player named Lazarus?

Rickety Cricket 08-04-2009 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyball (Post 20663982)

Cam Neely. I love him. I don't care if he's VP of the Bruins and has no knees, bring him back.

Rickety Cricket 08-04-2009 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJeasy (Post 20664013)
Is there a hockey player named Lazarus?

Hockeydb says no.

SCinSJ 08-04-2009 05:45 PM

"Weekend at Bernie Nicholl's"

sjshark91 08-04-2009 06:12 PM

Zherdev is going to Russia Take it to the bank.

Vaasa 08-04-2009 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharkyMcWoo (Post 20663660)
To think that people on here questioned Kessel and Heatley's attitudes but are contemplating Zherdev is astonishing.

Talented, fine. Obviously. Do I want his attitude on the Sharks? No way. The absolute antithesis of what we need on this team.

Simple. For Heatley and Kessel you have to give up assets where all you get is the player back. And for Heatley, you then have to give up more assets to fit a team under the cap. For Zherdev, you still need to trade assets, but Zherdev himself doesn't cost the team anything directly and anything they get back in trading players to make cap space belongs the Sharks. Also, with Zherdev, you are not necessarily stuck with signing him to a 5-year contract.

As I said, I don't particularly want Zherdev. I want the Sharks to stand pat and just clear enough cap space to field a team. But if DW was dead set on changing some folks in the top 6, I'll take 24-year old skilled UFA with effort problems over a highly-skilled 30-year old player who has a 7.5 mil cap hit and who has jerked his team around horrendously. Zherdev has effort issues on the ice. Heatley just has attitude issues period.

Vaasa 08-04-2009 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjshark91 (Post 20664692)
Zherdev is going to Russia Take it to the bank.

He has stated multiple times he wants to stay in the NHL. And there are teams that will offer him a contract. So I'm willing to bet he stays in NA.

SpinTheBlackCircle 08-04-2009 07:52 PM

I say he goes to Atlanta

Zherdev-Antropov-Kovalchuk

matt trick 08-04-2009 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wild GM (Post 20665669)
I say he goes to Atlanta

Zherdev-Antropov-Kovalchuk

Kozlov-White-Little
Kane-Reasoner-Armstrong

Holy crap, those lines are good.

Defense and goalie are solid too.

Got Mullet 08-04-2009 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaasa (Post 20665605)
Simple. For Heatley and Kessel you have to give up assets where all you get is the player back. And for Heatley, you then have to give up more assets to fit a team under the cap. For Zherdev, you still need to trade assets, but Zherdev himself doesn't cost the team anything directly and anything they get back in trading players to make cap space belongs the Sharks. Also, with Zherdev, you are not necessarily stuck with signing him to a 5-year contract.

As I said, I don't particularly want Zherdev. I want the Sharks to stand pat and just clear enough cap space to field a team. But if DW was dead set on changing some folks in the top 6, I'll take 24-year old skilled UFA with effort problems over a highly-skilled 30-year old player who has a 7.5 mil cap hit and who has jerked his team around horrendously. Zherdev has effort issues on the ice. Heatley just has attitude issues period.

For the money Zherdev would want I'd prefer to see the Sharks go after Tanguay.

Vaasa 08-04-2009 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got Mullet (Post 20666122)
For the money Zherdev would want I'd prefer to see the Sharks go after Tanguay.

At this point, I would only take Tanguay on a very cheap contract to play on the 3rd-line and add some offense. It seems telling that a lot of teams passed him up, especially with concerns about his shoulder. No doubt he was asking too much as well. But he hasn't broken the 20-goal mark in the last 2 years, and only managed 22 the year before that. For that amount of production, I would prefer to try and get Kobasew. Zherdev at least has broken the 20-goal mark the last 2 seasons (23 and 26) and he's put up 35 assists each year. He's going to deliver much better production than Tanguay IMO.

hockeyball 08-04-2009 09:49 PM

Quote:

Zherdev at least has broken the 20-goal mark the last 2 seasons (23 and 26) and he's put up 35 assists each year. He's going to deliver much better production than Tanguay IMO.
The rad thing about Zherdev is, if you only count the games he showed up for, he's was like 3 goals per game last season!

sjshrky27 08-04-2009 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharkXJ (Post 20663736)
Thanks - Seasoned NHL fan but the cap still confuses the hell out of me sometimes.....

heck- i dont understand it at all...

LadyStanley 08-05-2009 12:02 AM

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

McKeon asks "will Heatley make the team better?"