HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Kings could pick 6th! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=66978)

Capn Brown 04-01-2004 06:18 PM

Kings could pick 6th!

But only if Minnesota & Atlanta win their final two games & the Kings win the draft lottery. Fingers crossed! :yo:

palffytofrovlov 04-01-2004 06:34 PM

If they do forget about a Goalie go after a Big time Center in Schemp or a Dman like Baker!!!! or could it be the KINGS trading up ??? :banana:

Legionnaire 04-01-2004 11:12 PM

I would guess that Barker will probably go 2nd on 3rd depending on who wins the lottery. Olesz and Malkin may slip due to injury concerns, and all of the top teams except maybe Pittsburgh could really use a guy that could be a true #1 Dman.

I'm not sure where Schremp go exactly. There have been some questions about his attitude due to him leaving Missagua last season, and also the fact that he was left off of the US World Juniors team. The talent is definately there though.

agentfouser 04-01-2004 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legionnaire
I would guess that Barker will probably go 2nd on 3rd depending on who wins the lottery. Olesz and Malkin may slip due to injury concerns, and all of the top teams except maybe Pittsburgh could really use a guy that could be a true #1 Dman.

I'm not sure where Schremp go exactly. There have been some questions about his attitude due to him leaving Missagua last season, and also the fact that he was left off of the US World Juniors team. The talent is definately there though.

no chance for chipchura, huh?

Legionnaire 04-02-2004 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by navigator
no chance for chipchura, huh?

I'm not quite sure I'm following you. Do you mean in the top six? Definately not. With our pick. Maybe.

GKJ 04-02-2004 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Daleks
But only if Minnesota & Atlanta win their final two games & the Kings win the draft lottery. Fingers crossed! :yo:

while not impossible, there is less than a 5% chance of that happening.

agentfouser 04-02-2004 12:12 PM

Quote:

I'm not quite sure I'm following you. Do you mean in the top six? Definately not. With our pick. Maybe.

i meant with our pick.

hey, i have a question for draft-followers. last night i was reading x-sharkie's weekly prospect reports, and he said, in reference to some prospect, that this kid was "like the dustin brown of this draft" - meaning that there were questions about his upside. just curious, but could anyone provide more info about brown and his upside? i haven't heard anything like that, and i was under the impression that his upside is considerable.

Mindcircus 04-02-2004 12:43 PM

This is what NHL.com said of Chipchura on one of their draft pages.

Kyle Chipchura, C, Prince Albert (WHL) -- Chipchura was the top-ranked North American prospect in the NHL's mid-term rankings. He is a big, skilled centreman who dominates at both ends of the ice. He's a very good puck handler, and can make some nice moves at top speed. He is very confident on the ice and has shown he will stand up for his teammates.

Here is some stuff on the other NA players in the draft

Al Montoya, G, Michigan (CCHA) -- Montoya helped the United States win its first gold medal in the World Junior Championship. He was the most outstanding goaltender in the tournament and followed that by being the top-rated North American at his position. Scouts like the fact he's mentally strong and has great skills. He doesn't get rattled easily and has great poise.

Wojtek Wolski, LW, Brampton (OHL) -- At 6-foot-2, 186 pounds, there is nothing not to like about this bruising forward. Wolski is the top-ranked OHL prospect in the draft (No. 3 overall by Central Scouting) and he's an impact player on the Batallion. He has great hands and likes to work the corners and along the boards. Sports run deep in the family tree and he's a natural athlete.

Drew Stafford, RW, North Dakota (WCHA) -- Stafford is the top-ranked U.S. college player in the draft (No. 9 North American overall by Central Scouting) and anyone who's watched him at either North Dakota or at the World Junior championship will attest to his character. Stafford is the type of player who can play any role the coach wants him to play. He's a scorer at North Dakota and was checker on the gold-medal winning Team USA at the WJC.

Alexandre Picard, LW, Lewiston (QMJHL) -- Picard is ranked fourth overall by Central Scouting and the top-ranked player from the Quebec league. He is a left winger with a dazzling set of skills, and potentially able to carry a lot of muscle on his 6-2 frame. He has put up great numbers for a weak team. He's not selfish with the puck and is a natural scorer.

Robbie Schremp, C, London (OHL) -- Schremp was ranked seventh for North American skaters. He scored a highlight reel goal in the first period of the Prospects Game and in the third period he picked up the puck on his stick, spun backwards and got a hard backhand shot off at the goal that deflected off the glass above it. Schremp does not lack of confidence, attempting a flashy move like that in front of the majority of the NHL's brass.

Here are the Euros...

Alexander Ovechkin, F, Russia -- Ovechkin needs no introduction. He remains the consensus No. 1 overall pick and he has everything to be a star in the NHL. He's not a slick play-making forward, but is more like a standout power forward. He can score, he likes to hit and he competes on every shift. He thrives on being challenged and is the complete package.

Marek Schwarz, G, Czech Republic -- Schwarz is the top-ranked goalie in Europe who is making a name for himself in the Czech Republic's top league. His play at the World Juniors was solid-to-spectacular and he wasn't the reason why the Czechs finished fourth. Scouts see Schwarz as a game-breaker. He's played for three teams in the Czech's top league so far this season.

Yevgeny Malkin, F, Russia -- There were games at the World Junior Championship where Malkin outshined the top-rated Ovechkin. Malkin remains the consensus No. 2 overall pick behind his fellow countryman and he has everything a team would want, including a great attitude. His offensive skills features lots of head fakes and one-on-one magic.

Sami Lepisto, D, Finland -- Lepisto was the heart and soul of Finland's defense at the World Junior and played a key role in a bronze-medal performance. He was named the tournament's top defenseman and joined Canada's Dion Phaneuf on the All-Star team. Lepisto plays for Jokerit of Finland's top league. He is solid in all aspects of the game.

Johannes Salmonsson, F, Sweden -- Salmonsson suffered a serious shoulder injury in the fall and word was he would be out until mid-February. But he's a quick healer and is the 10th-best ranked prospect by the NHL's European Scouting Service. Scouts like his size, smarts and hockey sense. He goes hard and is a character player.

Rostislav Olesz, F, Czech Republic -- Olesz is ranked No. 3 in Europe and he could drop in the rankings unless he gets his act together. Scouts feel he was better last year compared to this year. The upside is he plays in the Czech Republic's top league. The downside is he has not been that special.

It was mentioned somewhere that Schremp is buddies with Dustin Brown... well here's the article just in case you haven't read it yet. Could he be a King?

http://www.nhl.com/futures/2004draft/schremp033004.html

Kings Fanatic 04-02-2004 01:47 PM

I'm hoping the Schwarz will be with us.

punchy1 04-02-2004 02:29 PM

I see us going after Montoya what with his NCAA background. I done a bit of a "whos the better" post awhile ago on Montoya and Schwarz and of the lads who tend to know a bit more than the rest of us around here, who answered, Montoya got the nod.

I have no idea which would be better but, since none of the centers (a top need as well as goalie) are in the truly special top line elite talent type after the top 8 players there is no reason not to take Montoya (or Schwarz).

Zaba/Marsters and Munce are all grand young talents and I reckon Choinard WILL be a first option Goalie in the NHL one day, but, I fancy Shwarz and Montoya to both be that much better than them.

Chipchura might be worth a pick if DT don't want to take a goalie. He keeps getting more and more attention. My problem with him is that he smells of Zultek to me. Lots of late interest and very similar observations about his game. I also wouldn't put allot of stock into the players from the O this year as they don't seem to be the stand up and shout about it lads that they have in past years.

agentfouser 04-02-2004 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kings Fanatic
I'm hoping the Schwarz will be with us.

lol, spaceballs is awesome.

Mindcircus 04-02-2004 09:27 PM

FOOOOL YOU!!!!!!!!!

Spaceballs is one of the greatest movies of all time.

agentfouser 04-04-2004 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mindcircus
FOOOOL YOU!!!!!!!!!

Spaceballs is one of the greatest movies of all time.

careful you idiot! i said across her nose, not up it!

seriously though, i was on the montoya bandwagon for awhile, but i think that at this point we would be better served by trying to aquire a bluechip goalie prospect who is further along and using our first-round pick this year (we don't get a 2nd, right?) on someone a little more 'safe.' like chipchura, if he's available.

Legionnaire 04-04-2004 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by navigator
careful you idiot! i said across her nose, not up it!

seriously though, i was on the montoya bandwagon for awhile, but i think that at this point we would be better served by trying to aquire a bluechip goalie prospect who is further along and using our first-round pick this year (we don't get a 2nd, right?) on someone a little more 'safe.' like chipchura, if he's available.

Chipchura has very little upside. He is a 2nd line center at best. I would rather take a risk with a potentially gamebreaking goaltender(even if he does end of like Storr) than someone who is limited.

That being said, I hate this draft. I see this as the second worst draft in the last ten years. 1996 being the worst, and 1999 being third. The top end talent is good, but even then, you've got guys with questions marks about injuries(Malkin, Olez) and supposed attitude problems Schremp. Hell, even a guy like Barker has not produced the way he should have.

In the end, when it comes to the draft, no one ever does know for sure, but I just don't have a good feeling about this one.

agentfouser 04-04-2004 01:15 PM

Quote:

Chipchura has very little upside. He is a 2nd line center at best. I would rather take a risk with a potentially gamebreaking goaltender(even if he does end of like Storr) than someone who is limited.

That being said, I hate this draft. I see this as the second worst draft in the last ten years. 1996 being the worst, and 1999 being third. The top end talent is good, but even then, you've got guys with questions marks about injuries(Malkin, Olez) and supposed attitude problems Schremp. Hell, even a guy like Barker has not produced the way he should have.

In the end, when it comes to the draft, no one ever does know for sure, but I just don't have a good feeling about this one.

okay, a few questions about kings draft this year:

1. do you think that we'll be going after our usual quota of overagers from europe?

2. is it worth trading up?

3. are there any prospects who have seen their stock rise signifigantly over the latter half of the season? i've browsed through x-sharkie's reports, and while he seems to like quite a few kids, not many of them seem to be gaining momentum leading up to d-day.

4. what do you think of alex picard?

Capn Brown 04-04-2004 01:29 PM

I'd say it would only be worth trading up if the Kings win the draft lottery. If we end up picking 11th & win the thing, then we'll pick 7th. At that point (if I were DT) I'd try to swap our 7th position with the 5th position. I'll make whoever it is an offer they couldn't refuse.......I'd give them Lehoux! ;~D

At 5th, there's a good chance at Malkin (could slip due to concussion trouble), Olesz (sp?), Wolski, Shremp, & Cam Barker.