HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   TSN: Something to Prove [Kadri, Duchene, Schenn] (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=670168)

TMLeafer 08-05-2009 08:24 PM

Something to Prove [Kadri, Duchene, Schenn]
 
Hi folks,

Just thought I'd post an article from TSN.ca about Duchene, Schenn, and Kadri, all three of whom were cut from the Canadian World Juniors squad (for some reason I assumed Duchene made it :laugh:) last December, and how they plan to make the team this year, and if they do, the role they might play.

Here's the video:
http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/clip200474#clip200474

And here's the article:

Quote:

Matt Duchene, Brayden Schenn and Nazem Kadri shared the high point of their hockey lives when they were all selected within the first seven picks in June's NHL Entry Draft in Montreal.

Duchene, a forward with the Brampton Battalion, was picked third overall by the Colorado Avalanche. Schenn went fifth to the Los Angeles Kings from the Brandon Wheat Kings, and Kadri was drafted seventh by the Toronto Maple Leafs from the London Knights.

That wasn't all the trio had in common. They also shared the crushing disappointment of being released from the National Junior Team last December.

"It was heartbreaking. I thought I had a great shot going in," said Duchene. "I kind of expected it a little bit, because I just didn't have a great camp and didn't play even close to what I think I was capable of. That hurt the most."

"I was sitting in my hotel room, I think I got the call at like six in the morning," recalled Kadri. "I didn't get any sleep that night but when I finally got the call I kind of felt a little sick to my stomach. It was the first time I had been cut, but it was an experience for me. Hopefully it doesn't happen again."

More: http://tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/story/?id=286868

Schenn 08-05-2009 08:28 PM

This was on at TSN 6:30 too,

Number13 08-05-2009 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMLeafer (Post 20677935)
Hi folks,

Just thought I'd post an article from TSN.ca about Duchene, Schenn, and Kadri, all three of whom were cut from the Canadian World Juniors squad (for some reason I assumed Duchene made it :laugh:) last December, and how they plan to make the team this year, and if they do, the role they might play.

Here's the video:
http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/clip200474#clip200474

And here's the article:

I like how when Schenn and Kadri were talking about what they have to do differently to make the team, Schenn says he was grinding to much and not focusing on scoring and Kadri right after, says he needs to do more battling and grinding.

Hurt 08-05-2009 08:51 PM

That's funny how they were left off the team :)

LeafErikson* 08-05-2009 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number13 (Post 20678177)
I like how when Schenn and Kadri were talking about what they have to do differently to make the team, Schenn says he was grinding to much and not focusing on scoring and Kadri right after, says he needs to do more battling and grinding.

I found that funny too. It'll be interesting (if they're available) what kind of role they might play.

Dr Turk 08-05-2009 09:43 PM

Wasn't Kadri left off because his jaw was wired shut?

LeafErikson* 08-05-2009 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrTurkelton (Post 20678921)
Wasn't Kadri left off because his jaw was wired shut?

I'm not sure. I think he wore a full face shield during the camp. It likely did come into play with their decision. My understanding was he had a good camp.

HockeyAustralia 08-05-2009 09:54 PM

Kadri was considered by many to be one of the best players at the camp

iPunch 08-05-2009 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrTurkelton (Post 20678921)
Wasn't Kadri left off because his jaw was wired shut?

Not sure, he didn't say anything at the time. ;)

LeafErikson* 08-05-2009 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guys (Post 20679079)
Not sure, he didn't say anything at the time. ;)

Dawwwwwwhhhh!:laugh:

Doubleyah 08-05-2009 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrTurkelton (Post 20678921)
Wasn't Kadri left off because his jaw was wired shut?


From what I gather he was cut and not left off due to an injury. But my assumption is that being cut was likely due to his holding back a little because his jaw had only recently had the wires removed and was still healing (hence the reason he is now saying his has to do a little more grinding this time) - also his fitness level may not have been where it needed to be due to restricted breathing while his mouth was wired shut. Both items were called out as concerns even before he went to Ottawa last December.

jgravessimcoe 08-06-2009 02:56 PM

Is anyone else who frequents TSNs videos getting COMPLETELY FED UP with that U2 song!?!?!?!

mcphllp 08-06-2009 03:07 PM

anyone have a link for where I can follow the camp?

LTL 08-06-2009 03:19 PM

Only one I assume will return is Kadri.

Brayden's game is complete enough to make the jump to the big leagues.

Tonka 08-06-2009 03:25 PM

bust :sarcasm:

I thought the same about Kadri, I thought he would have made the WJ last year and was one of the better players at camp and the reason he wasn't selected was because of his injury. That was my impression last year when reading articles.

Bills09 08-06-2009 03:27 PM

i think Brayden and Kadri go back to junior.
Duchene probably makes the avalanche out of camp

LeafErikson* 08-06-2009 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bills09 (Post 20685966)
i think Brayden and Kadri go back to junior.
Duchene probably makes the avalanche out of camp

This is likely. There's no rush on our part, as much as he wants it. He's said he'll take a lesser role on the team, on one of the bottom lines. But I don't see Wilson keeping him, if he's not ready to skate on the top two lines.

Cheli 08-06-2009 03:43 PM

TSN has a sort of update blog thing running.

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/feature/?id=11922

From yesterday:

Quote:

8:30 PM ET - Some interesting notes from both Red and White teams: Evander Kane, Cody Hodgson and Jordan Eberle together could potentially be Canada's top line at the tournament. Kane has been moved to the wing. There is also a possibility that Taylor Hall, Nazem Kadri and Brandon Kozun could form a powerful line.

LeafErikson* 08-06-2009 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheli (Post 20686117)
TSN has a sort of update blog thing running.

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/feature/?id=11922

From yesterday:

Kadri and Hall! :naughty:

mcphllp 08-06-2009 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheli (Post 20686117)
TSN has a sort of update blog thing running.

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/feature/?id=11922

From yesterday:

Thanks, thats awesome.

NoamHemsky 08-06-2009 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LTL (Post 20685878)
Only one I assume will return is Kadri.

Brayden's game is complete enough to make the jump to the big leagues.

I doubt it.

I see Brayden playing one more year in junior.

I could be wrong though.

TMLeafer 08-06-2009 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeafErikson (Post 20686189)
Kadri and Hall! :naughty:

You guys are going to love this: Kadri and Hall, both in Blue (and White) :nod: :

http://i30.tinypic.com/2h4dkap.jpg

(Just imagine there's a Maple Leaf on the other side of the jersey ;) )

LTL 08-06-2009 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoamHemsky (Post 20688055)
I doubt it.

I see Brayden playing one more year in junior.

I could be wrong though.

I would be shocked to see that happen. Even with the Kings stacked roster he's more then capable of playing 4th fiddle. I watched Schenn closely all season and IMO he has nothing to gain from another junior season.

Pierre Gotye 08-06-2009 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMLeafer (Post 20688201)
You guys are going to love this: Kadri and Hall, both in Blue (and White) :nod: :

http://i30.tinypic.com/2h4dkap.jpg

(Just imagine there's a Maple Leaf on the other side of the jersey ;) )

One could only wish!

Man Bear Pig 08-06-2009 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guys (Post 20679079)
Not sure, he didn't say anything at the time. ;)

Nice.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:10 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.