HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Speculation: What One Forward Would Make The Biggest Difference? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=670463)

seanlinden 08-06-2009 10:09 PM

What One Forward Would Make The Biggest Difference?

You look at the Leafs group of forwards, and its pretty obvious that they suck. What I think is less obvious though is a good way to fix them. This thread is about your ideas for the Leafs to acquire ONE semi-realstic (no iginla/ovechkin crap) forward which on his own would make our forward group competitive.

Hagman-Stajan-Stempniak
Ponikarovsky-Grabovski-Kulemin
Tlusty-Mitchell-Blake
Mayers-Primeau-Orr
Wallin

The key is that you must keep in mind our depth chart and not include players who would need an accompanying trade to be effective (e.g. Kessel wouldn't be a good fit without a playmaking centre).

My Reccomendation: The most bang for our buck would come from moving Stajan to 3rd line from first. The guy that I think could be had for the right price would be Patrice Bergeron; and if he can regain his form, he should be able to get better production out of a guy like Lee Stempniak.

weems 08-06-2009 10:11 PM

Brad Richards
Vinny Lecavalier

The Naz 08-06-2009 10:12 PM

If Kovalchuk makes it FA, he would look great here. I think he'd relish the spotlight, but I doubt he makes it to FA.

ugotmybeef* 08-06-2009 10:14 PM

This thread is crap since one forward won't make a difference. If all the forwards develop into what many believe they can, a speedy goal scorer (like a Selanne type) is all we need.

Mr Scarface* 08-06-2009 10:24 PM

It's all bout that One Players. Like I was telling earlier. I like this thread.

Kovalchuk, Iginla, or Lecavalier would be my first three choises, not in that order.

After those come Patrick Marleau and Ovechkin and Crosby. Then Malkin. Not in that order.

I think it's easier to get Iginla, Lecavalier, Kovalchuk or Marleau, than it is to get A.O, Crosb or Mally The Wally.

But yeah, I'm bout that.

That one great forward would really do it. Nothing else. That's the ONLY thing this team needs. That one great face, who sells games, and wins games. Sells people at the same time. I would be sold out mane.

dredeye 08-06-2009 10:25 PM

How exactly will one good forward make our so called sucky forwards better?

Inigo Montoya 08-06-2009 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Scarface (Post 20689781)
It's all bout that One Players. Like I was telling earlier. I like this thread.

Kovalchuk, Iginla, or Lecavalier would be my first three choises, not in that order.

After those come Patrick Marleau and Ovechkin and Crosby. Then Malkin. Not in that order.

I think it's easier to get Iginla, Lecavalier, Kovalchuk or Marleau, than it is to get A.O, Crosb or Mally The Wally.

But yeah, I'm bout that.

That one great forward would really do it. Nothing else. That's the ONLY thing this team needs. That one great face, who sells games, and wins games. Sells people at the same time. I would be sold out mane.

Quote:

This thread is about your ideas for the Leafs to acquire ONE semi-realstic (no iginla/ovechkin crap) forward
Patrice Bergeron would be my pick.

Mr Scarface* 08-06-2009 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TML Rebuild (Post 20689824)
Patrice Bergeron would be my pick.

Oh yeah, I read wrong. Sorry bout that.

I can't even edit or delete my posts right now mane.

But yeah, then Marleau and Lecavalier are my choices.
Then Kovalchuk. They are realistic, like my life.

Inigo Montoya 08-06-2009 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Scarface (Post 20689847)
Oh yeah, I read wrong. Sorry bout that.

I can't even edit or delete my posts right now mane.

But yeah, then Marleau and Lecavalier are my choices.
Then Kovalchuk. They are realistic, like my life.

I would feel bad if your life wasn't realistic.

seanlinden 08-06-2009 10:32 PM

It seems that SEMI-REALISTIC was overlooked here. The only other one I've seen posted so far is Patrick Marleau and even that is pushing it. Richards, Lecavalier, Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Iginla, Crosby aren't going anywhere.

ugotmybeef* 08-06-2009 10:39 PM

Marc Savard. Bruins will be hard pressed to afford him with Lucic, Rask contracts coming up along with Chara's the year afterwards along with a decreasing salary cap. Savard is superior to Marleau in every aspect and is a better playoff performer.

Machinae 08-06-2009 10:39 PM

I like our forward group, they're cute.

Nizdizzle 08-06-2009 10:42 PM

Ryan Kesler would really push our forward corps into the mold we are aiming for.

Joey24 08-06-2009 10:47 PM

Kovalchuk imo hands down. If he hits the market next season Burke should throw anything and everything at this guy. All the talk around the league is focused on Crosby and AO, Kovalchuk is my favorite player in the game right now he hits, is as talented as anyone in the game at the moment and you never hear him complain even though he is stuck on a crappy Atlanta team.

TheLeastOfTheBunch 08-06-2009 10:50 PM

Ryan Getzlaf :naughty:

NomNom 08-06-2009 10:51 PM

I would love to see Kovy as well, but I don't think anyone here expects him to the hit the FA market.

I'm sure Atlanta is working on the 20 year contract as we speak.

Leafidelity 08-06-2009 10:51 PM

Simon Gagne

ugotmybeef* 08-06-2009 10:52 PM

Marc Savard is realistic.

Jeffler 08-06-2009 11:03 PM

Savard is the best realistic option. He'll likely be a UFA and I'd have no qualms with him being our #1C for the next few years.

seanlinden 08-06-2009 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reverse Flying V (Post 20690199)
Savard is the best realistic option. He'll likely be a UFA and I'd have no qualms with him being our #1C for the next few years.

Should've clarified that this is a move for this season.

I'm not sure that Boston is going to be prepared to trade Savard right nwo.

Brozak 08-06-2009 11:23 PM

P H I L K E S S E L

Dark Knight 08-06-2009 11:30 PM

Danny Briere.

Hear me out. Although, he's been injured last year, I still feel he's a top line C in the NHL. With the added toughness to our squad, it'll give him plenty of space to do what he does best, and thats to create for others while also being an underrated sniper.

A lot of speed has already been inserted into our lineup. If we are somehow able to add Danny Briere on our top line, our team will be similar to the Sabres of a couple of years ago.

I've just always been a Briere fan.

ugotmybeef* 08-06-2009 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salsabil (Post 20690432)
Danny Briere.

Hear me out. Although, he's been injured last year, I still feel he's a top line C in the NHL. With the added toughness to our squad, it'll give him plenty of space to do what he does best, and thats to create for others while also being an underrated sniper.

A lot of speed has already been inserted into our lineup. If we are somehow able to add Danny Briere on our top line, our team will be similar to the Sabres of a couple of years ago.

I've just always been a Briere fan.

we'll have to roll 3 scoring lines. That team however was just sick. I still think Buffalo can pull it off again if they just keep drafting the way they have been.

Dark Knight 08-06-2009 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ugotmybeef (Post 20690469)
we'll have to roll 3 scoring lines. That team however was just sick. I still think Buffalo can pull it off again if they just keep drafting the way they have been.

They've got a future stud in Tyler Myers, IMO. Other than that, their farm system is pretty shallow, and doesnt boast of high end talent.

Letting Drury go was one thing, but Briere should have never been let go.

I predict a lottery finish for them this season. They just dont have the defense.

ugotmybeef* 08-06-2009 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salsabil (Post 20690521)
They've got a future stud in Tyler Myers, IMO. Other than that, their farm system is pretty shallow, and doesnt boast of high end talent.

Letting Drury go was one thing, but Briere should have never been let go.

I predict a lottery finish for them this season. They just dont have the defense.

yet they have a potent group up front with down seasons from Roy, Hecht, and Pominville. They'll be fine. They had a playoff spot till Miller got his injury. If only they had consistency from all their forwards, they would be in the playoffs.