HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   OT: Good sports bar in Toronto? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=670538)

Bitterman 08-07-2009 03:47 AM

Good sports bar in Toronto?

Hi all,

A buddy and I will be in downtown Toronto over the weekend and was wondering if we could get some recommendations on a good sports bar to watch the Argo/Als game Friday night? Good atmosphere and good food would be ideal. While I'm at it, any good Irish style pubs around??

Much appreciated!

OHLTG 08-07-2009 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bitterman (Post 20691942)
Hi all,

A buddy and I will be in downtown Toronto over the weekend and was wondering if we could get some recommendations on a good sports bar to watch the Argo/Als game Friday night? Good atmosphere and good food would be ideal. While I'm at it, any good Irish style pubs around??

Much appreciated!

Pubs - If the Elephant and Castle is still around, there are a couple in downtown Toronto. Went to the one on King Street, about a half-block from Roy Thomson Hall. Very neat place.

Patty Lee 08-07-2009 06:55 AM

why would anyone want to watch the Argo/Als game?

paulster2626 08-07-2009 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Around in 67 (Post 20692202)
why would anyone want to watch the Argo/Als game?

Hahhaha, perhaps go to cflforums - oh wait, there's only 3 members there.

I'll give the obvious advice: if they are playing in Toronto, just go to the game. If they are playing in Montreal, drive to Montreal 'cause it's bettah!

As far as sports bars are concerned, I have no idea what's good for CFL football. Maybe Wegz?

Ruski 08-07-2009 09:51 AM

Not many CFL dedicated bars towntown, but "The Loose Moose" at Front/University (next door to Jack Astors), is usually busy during ANY sporting event....decent food too.

*I wonder if they will pay royalties for this free advertisement ;)

Bitterman 08-07-2009 10:45 AM

It doesn't have to be just for a CFL game and the game is in Montreal anyway. We're in Toronto for other reasons and suspect we'll be back during the hockey season as well which is why I asked in here. If a sports bar/pub has a few screens it'll be on... even if it's on the smallest one they have. ;)

I've been to Elephant & Castle in other cities so I was looking for a unique place with good food and a good crowd.

There must be such a beast around the downtown area, no??

Bitterman 08-07-2009 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruski (Post 20693053)
Not many CFL dedicated bars towntown, but "The Loose Moose" at Front/University (next door to Jack Astors), is usually busy during ANY sporting event....decent food too.

*I wonder if they will pay royalties for this free advertisement ;)

Yeah, did Loose Moose last time we came in and it wasn't bad at all and may go back if there's no other decent option. Last time we went it was "**** Thursdays" so that was good for a laugh as well :laugh:

NoamHemsky 08-07-2009 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bitterman (Post 20693520)
It doesn't have to be just for a CFL game and the game is in Montreal anyway. We're in Toronto for other reasons and suspect we'll be back during the hockey season as well which is why I asked in here. If a sports bar/pub has a few screens it'll be on... even if it's on the smallest one they have. ;)

I've been to Elephant & Castle in other cities so I was looking for a unique place with good food and a good crowd.

There must be such a beast around the downtown area, no??

The JAck Astors at Front and University (near Union Station) is a good spot. Lots of screens, lots of people, nice looking waitresses ;).

Right down the street from there is an Irish pub I frequent called the OverDraught which I like alot.

Bitterman 08-07-2009 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoamHemsky (Post 20693723)
The JAck Astors at Front and University (near Union Station) is a good spot. Lots of screens, lots of people, nice looking waitresses ;).

Right down the street from there is an Irish pub I frequent called the OverDraught which I like alot.

o.O I shall check out the OverDraught.

Thank you very much.

NoamHemsky 08-07-2009 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bitterman (Post 20694952)
o.O I shall check out the OverDraught.

Thank you very much.

no problem.

noobman 08-07-2009 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoamHemsky (Post 20693723)

Yup... that Jack Astors has quickly become the "screw this, lets go watch the game" hangout for me and my friends.

NoamHemsky 08-07-2009 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noobman (Post 20696607)
Yup... that Jack Astors has quickly become the "screw this, lets go watch the game" hangout for me and my friends.

It's a good spot. Has a huge patio if you want that, a massive bar area, and a restaurant area if that's what you are after.

All in all it's a good spot to go for a pint.

Tricolore#20 08-07-2009 04:44 PM

With the Jays playing tonight, and TFC playing freakin Real Madrid, I doubt any pub would show the Argos over these. But good luck nevertheless. Maybe Gretzky's would have some screens open for it?

themightyquinn 08-07-2009 05:25 PM

I've found the Astors on Front street to be pretty good. They'll probably give one of the screens to the Argos.

Good Irish pub would be Fionn MacCool's on University or the Esplanade.

The Shoeless Joe's on the Quay would probably give them a TV too.

NoamHemsky 08-07-2009 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themightyquinn (Post 20697950)
I've found the Astors on Front street to be pretty good. They'll probably give one of the screens to the Argos.

Good Irish pub would be Fionn MacCool's on University or the Esplanade.

The Shoeless Joe's on the Quay would probably give them a TV too.

Yeah, I had a good time when I went to Shoeless last summer. Or maybe it was their 32oz pint? :)