HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Columbus Blue Jackets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   News Article: Jared Aulin coming to Blue Jackets training camp. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=670542)

Skraut 08-07-2009 07:14 AM

Jared Aulin coming to Blue Jackets training camp.

The story of Jared Aulin who will be at the Blue Jackets training camp.

http://gdrinnan.blogspot.com/2009/08...ack-trail.html

Quote:

At the age of 27, Jared Aulin has rekindled a love affair and is on the comeback trail.
Aulin, a former captain of the WHL’s Kamloops Blazers, hasn’t played a full season of professional hockey since 2005-06. But in a little more than a month he’ll be going to training camp with the NHL’s Columbus Blue Jackets.
“Three years without playing pro and one year of playing university hockey . . . I fell in love with the game again,” Aulin said Thursday.
Aulin, who played four seasons with the Blazers, was a second-round pick by the Colorado Avalanche in the NHL’s 2000 entry draft. Aulin later was traded to the Los Angeles Kings and it was in their training camp, in September 2003, that his problems really began.
Two things happened that fall, both of which had a telling affect on Aulin.
He injured his left shoulder, an injury that would drive him from the game after a 13-game stint with the AHL’s Springfield Falcons in 2006-07.
Also, Los Angeles scout Ace Bailey was killed in one of the 9/11 hijackings.
In hindsight, Aulin feels those things took a real toll on him and that he badly needed a mental break.
“The tough times I went through with the shoulder injury and Ace Bailey passing away in L.A. — he was the guy who scouted me to get traded there . . . it was good for me to get a mental break and get a taste of real life,” Aulin said.
It wasn’t easy walking away from the game that had meant so much to him, especially when he felt there still was so much to accomplish.

Aulin had an agent send faxes to all NHL teams and follow that up with phone calls. He admits he didn’t expect to hear from anyone and was, in fact, prepared to check out the European market.
Which is when the Columbus Blue Jackets called.
Don Boyd, their director of hockey operations and player personnel, remembered Aulin and convinced general manager Scott Howson that signing him was worth the gamble.
“I was ecstatic,” Aulin said, adding that he is a different person than he was during his first go-round.
“I’m really confident right now and working really hard,” he said. “With age comes maturity and discipline . . . it’s been a great summer.”
Aulin has spent much of the summer skating “with some pro guys” and “shooting at some NHL” goaltenders.
“I’ve been trying to get on the ice as much as I can because I think that’s the biggest thing,” he said. “I don’t feel like I’ve lost any skill, that’s for sure.”
He also admitted to feeling a touch of desperation because, as he put it, not many “guys can say they’ve had a second chance.”
“I’ve always felt like I’ve had something to prove at the highest level and I just haven’t done that yet,” he said. “If I train hard and put myself in a situation where the opportunity is there, I can make the best of it.
“It just seemed like it wasn’t meant to be at that time. Now I’m more mature and I’ve got no excuses and I’m grateful . . .”
And if things don’t work out? Will he be able to walk away knowing that he won’t be coming back?
“Yeah . . . but I don’t think it’s going to come to that,” he said. “I’m confident that things will be fine. I don’t think I would put myself in this position to make a comeback if I didn’t think I could.”
Actually the entire article is a fantastic read, just read it there ;)

plong123 08-07-2009 07:29 AM

What position does this guy play? Article didn't say.

Jovavic 08-07-2009 07:39 AM

I want to say he's a center but I'm not 100% sure. If he beats out the other players for the 4th line job, more power to him.

Skraut 08-07-2009 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plong123 (Post 20692143)
What position does this guy play? Article didn't say.

Hockeydb says right shooting center.

plong123 08-07-2009 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skraut (Post 20692167)
Hockeydb says right shooting center.

What a great site! I'd never been there before. That went right in my hockey bookmarks folder.

Righty center, eh? Hmmm... he's a dark horse, but the more horses we have competing, the better the final team will be.

I like it.

BluejacketNut 08-07-2009 08:00 AM

Mike York...Part Deux

hashmarks 08-07-2009 10:43 AM

I will look forward to seeing him at camp.

dru 08-07-2009 10:58 AM

I like this a lot. One of these camp invites has to make an impact on the team sooner or later right? We have a hole on the 4th line center and hopefully Aulin can step up and fill it. He had a 108pt season for The Blazers (8 years ago). He was also traded for Anson Carter at one point.

We have to get lucky sometime.

blahblah 08-07-2009 11:17 AM

Welcome to the org Jared. I wish you well, we need depth at your posistion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BluejacketNut (Post 20692216)
Mike York...Part Deux

This guys has to be, at least, a better skater then York.

hashmarks 08-07-2009 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blahblah (Post 20693290)
This guys has to be, at least, a better skater then York.

Honestly, on my good days when I am feeling strong, I think I could challenge York ;)

I was pulling hard for York to come in and make his comeback, but didn't realize he was sooooooo slow.

Aulins stats:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=2155

Skraut 08-07-2009 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BluejacketNut (Post 20692216)
Mike York...Part Deux

More like Mike York, Part Demi.

since he doesn't have York's um, I guess you would call it "physique".

Samkow 08-07-2009 12:01 PM

He most likely won't get a contract.

But if he does, he'll be a new Puck Cougar favorite for sure.

http://gauntlet.ucalgary.ca/~gauntle...20/nhl_web.jpg

zepps 08-07-2009 12:04 PM

I would love for him to do well. He showed a lot of promise in junior.

Casework 08-07-2009 12:25 PM

I like these kinds of moves.

Good luck, Jared.

evengodlovesthecbj 08-07-2009 01:17 PM

4 pts in 17 NHL games. If he could replicate that sort of production on the 4th line.Nice!

Robert 08-07-2009 05:24 PM

I've always liked the idea of special invites to training camp. Few make NHL rosters but when they do it's the stuff of interesting hockey stories.

Happy Pony 08-07-2009 05:29 PM

Good stuff, maybe he'll make an impact, maybe not. Best of luck to him.

RDriesenUD 08-07-2009 06:27 PM

Thanks for sharing. I will be rooting for him. I hope he makes at least the AHL team.

Dr. Fire 08-08-2009 07:18 AM

I will probably be at all the pre-season games. Will be fun to see if they give him a look in one of the early games.

Jimayo 08-08-2009 07:34 AM

I hope he makes an impact.

Skraut 08-08-2009 08:32 AM

Another Article with some great quotes
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...slam!%20hockey

Quote:

"They're giving me a huge opportunity. Not many hockey players get a second chance to make a career of something -- not many people, in general, get that second chance to pursue a career they were pursuing earlier -- so that's always in the back of my head.

"They've gone out on a limb to give me an opportunity and I'm not going to embarrass them. I believe in myself. I wouldn't have put myself in position to make a comeback if I didn't have that confidence."
"I guess with age comes maturity and discipline and mental toughness, so I know what the game is all about," Aulin said.

"I just love the game of hockey and felt that I was fortunate to have a career in it before. I'm hoping to fulfil that dream again."

Double-Shift Lassé 08-11-2009 02:06 PM

Good luck to him - sounds like a potentially feel-good story. Would he stick around to play in the 'Cuse I wonder?

OT and to nitpick just a bit -- The linked story references two things happening in the fall of 2003, and cites as one of them scout Ace Bailey's passing among those who died in the 9/11 terrorist attacks. Maybe I'm goofed on the timeline...

Brodie562 08-11-2009 02:44 PM

I liked what i saw of him in LA, really unfortunate that he hurt his shoulder before the start of the season that year in LA. I know he would made the club. He injured it sticking up for Cammalleri at a prospect game, a large player was trying to push Cammalleri around and he came to help out. good guy wish him luck!

kurt 08-17-2009 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brodie562 (Post 20734087)
I liked what i saw of him in LA, really unfortunate that he hurt his shoulder before the start of the season that year in LA. I know he would made the club. He injured it sticking up for Cammalleri at a prospect game, a large player was trying to push Cammalleri around and he came to help out. good guy wish him luck!

Yep, that's exactly how he did it in. Any decent resources out there to keep tabs on Jackets camp? Or is here pretty much as good as anywhere?

Jaxs 08-17-2009 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kurt (Post 20795569)
Yep, that's exactly how he did it in. Any decent resources out there to keep tabs on Jackets camp? Or is here pretty much as good as anywhere?

This is a pretty good source: http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/