HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   OT: Potentially moving to Nashville (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=671945)

Tawnos 08-12-2009 06:10 PM

OT: Potentially moving to Nashville

and was curious. Are there any adult roller hockey leagues in the area? This is by no means definite yet. Just wanting to check into it.

Thanks in advance. :)

By the way, if it does happen I'm kinda pissed that the Rangers aren't visiting you guys this year. I've never been happy with each team not playing in ALL other teams buildings at least once, regardless of conference. Now it might actually affect me directly. Luckily, Atlanta is closer to Nashville than I am to any city with an NHL team currently.

predfan24 08-12-2009 06:49 PM

Ya know I defiently remember an adult roller league that was functioning a year or two ago. There are several roller hockey rinks around Nashville. I think there is 3. Lavergne, Spring Hill, Bellevue. Now whether that Adult league still runs I'm not sure. I'll look around for you.

Seth Lake 08-12-2009 06:55 PM

This is the only formal adult inline hockey league in the Middle Tennessee area that I'm aware of...

http://www.naihlonline.com/

Tawnos 08-12-2009 07:13 PM

SLake, that's really helpful. Thanks! I'd probably join up for the next season once I got settled in.

Do you guys have any takes on roller hockey in the area? When I lived in New York, there was a rink close to home that had some league stuff, but you could pretty much go down there during the early evening and get into a pickup game with 5-10 guys. It was a local rink that was free skate as long as there wasn't anything official going on. Where I've been living recently, there's almost nothing like that. I've found one rink in my current hometown and no one else is ever there when I am! Anyone seen anything like what I mentioned I had in NY? It'd be great to get some skating in during that settling in period.

Seth Lake 08-12-2009 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tawnos (Post 20749394)
Do you guys have any takes on roller hockey in the area? When I lived in New York, there was a rink close to home that had some league stuff, but you could pretty much go down there during the early evening and get into a pickup game with 5-10 guys. It was a local rink that was free skate as long as there wasn't anything official going on. Where I've been living recently, there's almost nothing like that. I've found one rink in my current hometown and no one else is ever there when I am! Anyone seen anything like what I mentioned I had in NY? It'd be great to get some skating in during that settling in period.

Haven't been frequenting the rinks in a couple of years, but they are open to the public when no official events are going on. On the Predators official message boards (down currently as they transition to new software) there has been a thread regarding organizing pickup games at the various rinks around the area, so I'd probably check there for info as well.

barrytrotzsneck 08-12-2009 10:05 PM

There's pretty frequently pick-up games at most of the rinks. Oddly enough, adult ice hockey is a little bigger than roller in the Nashville area, but the amount of people playing both will surprise you.

nine_inch_fang 08-12-2009 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck (Post 20751268)
There's pretty frequently pick-up games at most of the rinks. Oddly enough, adult ice hockey is a little bigger than roller in the Nashville area, but the amount of people playing both will surprise you.

I think some of that has to do with the temperature. Who's wants to gear up in 90+ temps during the summer when for 10 bucks you can play pick up hockey on the ice for a couple of hours.

triggrman 08-13-2009 06:45 AM

I've played roller hockey here for around 15 years and have now given up. The company that runs the leagues don't like messing with adults so we got the shaft too many times. I've gone back to ice hockey now and I'm glad I did. BTW, roller and ice here cost about the same.

BigFatCat999 08-13-2009 07:52 AM

Once in a while the NP boards also have pick up games in case you want to meet with the guys and get a game going.

Enoch 08-13-2009 08:02 AM

Yeah, you might want to just hop on the ice. A bit more expensive, but there are plenty of on-ice leagues.

triggrman 08-13-2009 08:49 AM

just getting on a fall/winter team at centennial is tough.

Basher 08-13-2009 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triggrman (Post 20754322)
just getting on a fall/winter team at centennial is tough.

Agreed, I finally got on a team for this upcoming season after having to wait for 2 seasons.

Tawnos 08-17-2009 07:33 PM

Thank you everyone for your help. Ice hockey is waaaay more expensive for me because I don't have all of my gear anymore. The requirements for inline are less, so I'd be much more likely to start with that first. Maybe in time I'll hit the ice.

By the way, we can take potentially out of the title of this thread. September 1, baby.

Soundgarden 08-17-2009 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tawnos (Post 20797845)
By the way, we can take potentially out of the title of this thread. September 1, baby.

Congrats, hope you enjoy it here.

Enoch 08-17-2009 08:00 PM

Excellent choice :) Nashville is a great place to live, especially if your nestled into one of the many, surrounding suburbs.

Kebs 08-24-2009 06:02 PM

If you want info on the NAIHL I can give it to you. I have played in the league since it started and I am pretty active in the league business. I can tell you that the league is cheaper then ice and easier to find a team. This year the fall league will be starting in late September and will end sometime in November. All teams are scheduled for at least 2 games on Sundays. We have no A or B league and the competition varies. We do have a lot of fun and generally everyone gets along, there are some exceptions to the rule.

Like I said if you want more info. on inline feel free to contact me. Welcome to Nash Vegas. You'll love it here.

barrytrotzsneck 08-24-2009 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tawnos (Post 20797845)
Thank you everyone for your help. Ice hockey is waaaay more expensive for me because I don't have all of my gear anymore. The requirements for inline are less, so I'd be much more likely to start with that first. Maybe in time I'll hit the ice.

As a transplanted northeasterner, I can tell you that this is the single best area of the country i've lived in. It has enough metropolitan aspects that you don't miss any of the elements of a "big city," it's surrounded by affluent suburbs....but you're never more than a half hour's drive from a relaxing trip to the country.

What's bringing you to town, and do you have any idea where you'll be living?

Hope to see you at some Preds games!!

Tawnos 08-24-2009 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck (Post 20866552)
As a transplanted northeasterner, I can tell you that this is the single best area of the country i've lived in. It has enough metropolitan aspects that you don't miss any of the elements of a "big city," it's surrounded by affluent suburbs....but you're never more than a half hour's drive from a relaxing trip to the country.

What's bringing you to town, and do you have any idea where you'll be living?

Hope to see you at some Preds games!!

It's good to hear that from a fellow transplant.

No idea where I'll be living yet. I'm currently a manager at the Guitar Center where I live now (Charleston) and am moving into the same position in Nashville. It is a promotion since the store is twice the size of the one here and obviously higher profile within the industry as a whole. Looking forward to being in a town with an actual scene! Even if it's not 100% my scene, still...

I will be at some Preds games for sure. Been an EC guy my whole life and my love for the Rangers will not change, but there are teams that I only really get to watch once on TV or twice per season in the WC that I'm looking forward to potentially catching live.

Tawnos 08-24-2009 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kebs (Post 20866494)
If you want info on the NAIHL I can give it to you. I have played in the league since it started and I am pretty active in the league business. I can tell you that the league is cheaper then ice and easier to find a team. This year the fall league will be starting in late September and will end sometime in November. All teams are scheduled for at least 2 games on Sundays. We have no A or B league and the competition varies. We do have a lot of fun and generally everyone gets along, there are some exceptions to the rule.

Like I said if you want more info. on inline feel free to contact me. Welcome to Nash Vegas. You'll love it here.

Cool man! I'll definitely PM you when I get settled in and see what's up. Thanks!

triggrman 08-25-2009 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basher (Post 20754925)
Agreed, I finally got on a team for this upcoming season after having to wait for 2 seasons.

Who are you playing for?

Soundgarden 08-25-2009 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tawnos (Post 20869483)
I'm currently a manager at the Guitar Center where I live now (Charleston) and am moving into the same position in Nashville.

Wow, I just went there yesterday, hope to be seeing you there.