HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Carolina Hurricanes (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   #5 - Most Valuable Hurricane (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=672056)

Guerzy 08-13-2009 07:00 AM

#5 - Most Valuable Hurricane

Where things stand,

1. Cam Ward - 52.94%
2. Eric Staal - 84.44%
3. Joni Pitkanen - 60.87%
4. Ray Whitney - 56.52%

ChuckW 08-13-2009 07:34 AM

My vote goes to Erik Cole. Why?

#1 - He brings a physical game that few others on the team can match, especially scorers. He's a pure power forward who loves to cut in and then drive to the net.

#2 - He raises the level of the team's play. He makes other players better, especially Staal. Look at how the team performed when he was in Edmonton, compared to when he returned.

#3 - His defensive play has improved. Watch the Boston series, it's a showcase of Erik's great backchecking and defensive play.

#4 - This poll is called "most valuable Hurricane". How many players have been as valuable as Cole over the past few seasons?

Chad LaRose can't reach the scoring numbers Cole can put up. Rod Brind'Amour is the heart and soul of the team, but he's in the twilight of his career. Tim Gleason is solid and valuable, but he would be easier to replace than Cole, who has a more unique skill set. Ruutu doesn't yet have the track record to put him over Cole as more valuable.

Jokinen and Samsonov are up-and-down, not consistently proven threats over the long term.

I think #26 deserves the #5 spot. If he was gone he'd leave a bigger hole than most players on the roster (except for #1-#4).

Blueline Bomber 08-13-2009 11:00 AM

Ruutu's going to win, but I voted LaRose. There's something invaluable about a player that will put 100% on the ice, every shift, no matter what the score. The fact that he loosens up the lockerroom and contributes offensively is only a bonus.

GIN ANTONIC 08-13-2009 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber (Post 20755371)
Ruutu's going to win, but I voted LaRose. There's something invaluable about a player that will put 100% on the ice, every shift, no matter what the score. The fact that he loosens up the lockerroom and contributes offensively is only a bonus.

And Ruutu doesn't give 100%?

CioCio 08-13-2009 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber (Post 20755371)

For similar reasons, I voted Gleason.

Blueline Bomber 08-13-2009 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRAINIAC (Post 20755379)
And Ruutu doesn't give 100%?

Most games, yes. But can you honestly say there hasn't been a game where Ruutu was invisible? Heck, I felt there were a couple games in the Boston series where he just floated for a while, waiting for his shift to end, Game 6 being the biggest example of that.

What the Faulk 08-13-2009 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber (Post 20755460)
Most games, yes. But can you honestly say there hasn't been a game where Ruutu was invisible? Heck, I felt there were a couple games in the Boston series where he just floated for a while, waiting for his shift to end, Game 6 being the biggest example of that.

Who didn't float in that game?

I went with Ruutu for most of the reasons outlined in the previous 3 threads

Scorvo 08-13-2009 03:08 PM

Brindy. Captain who had a tough season. We would be a much different team without him.

Caniac4ever 08-13-2009 05:18 PM

Looks like Ruutu's got this one, but I went with Rosie... He is just one of those guys that does just about anything for his team. His work ethic, his comments at Fan Fest about his being in hopes that he'll always be a Hurricane and that even if he gets traded he"ll still be back for Fan Fest every year, his coaching special events, all of his off ice contributions... He has really helped build this team in recent years...I felt I needed to put him before Ruutu.

That said, I have no problem with Ruutu in 5th. He's a true warrior and gamer...

The One Who Knocks 08-13-2009 08:00 PM

Tim Gleason. My reasoning:

Go to 0:13

That and the fact that he is our best defenseman in the defensive zone. He is a rock on the back end for the most part

Selanne08* 08-13-2009 08:02 PM

ruuuuuuuuuuuuu