HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Minnesota Wild (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Opinions on James Sheppard's celing (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=672083)

Raptactics29 08-13-2009 09:45 AM

Opinions on James Sheppard's celing

Hey guys.. I'm just wondering how good you guys see James Sheppard being? I've always liked him since the Q and wanna know how he's developing..

Thanks

Jbcraig1883 08-13-2009 03:35 PM

I might be in the minority (well, maybe not on HF) but I believe Sheppard will be a 25 40 guy most of his career with strong defensive play.

He was rushed and butted heads with Lemaire. He has shown flashes of a good second line center. He is strong on the puck, has a good shot and has good hockey sense. The problem I saw last year, other then the lack of confidence since he was worried about Lemaire, is he stopped moving his feet after 2 strides. When he moves his feet and stays active, he was like Koivu-lite. But, as you can see by his stats, this was not often.

Many feel he will turn into Stajan or something of that ilk. I am not saying that Stajan is a bad player but I feel it is too early to judge Sheppard as to what he will be since be was brought up so early. If he hasn't produced in two seasons from now, then I will start to re-evaluate.

Scouter 08-13-2009 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jocksta18 (Post 20758786)
I might be in the minority (well, maybe not on HF) but I believe Sheppard will be a 25 40 guy most of his career with strong defensive play.

He was rushed and butted heads with Lemaire. He has shown flashes of a good second line center. He is strong on the puck, has a good shot and has good hockey sense. The problem I saw last year, other then the lack of confidence since he was worried about Lemaire, is he stopped moving his feet after 2 strides. When he moves his feet and stays active, he was like Koivu-lite. But, as you can see by his stats, this was not often.

Many feel he will turn into Stajan or something of that ilk. I am not saying that Stajan is a bad player but I feel it is too early to judge Sheppard as to what he will be since be was brought up so early. If he hasn't produced in two seasons from now, then I will start to re-evaluate.

Well I hope for your sakes that he doesn't turn out like Stajan. You have a new GM, coach and a more offensive system now, here's hoping he excels in the new environment.

a79krgm 08-15-2009 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jocksta18 (Post 20758786)

I agree with the your assessment about not moving his feet enough. That was exactly his problem ... and I would add he didn't shoot like he wanted to score. Many of his shots were not much harder than a bantam can shoot.

firstroundbust 08-30-2009 08:53 PM

He's a 15-45=60 guy at his peak. The only way he scores 20 goals or more is if he makes his presence known within a 15 radius of the net. He's basically a better skating version of Andrew Brunette.

Lemaire's system just wasn't conducive to Sheppard producing; he excels at forechecking, and making plays down low and along the boards- look at the assists he had on Owen Nolan goals late last year, all nifty touch passes through traffic around the net.

Todd Richards' system should enable Sheppard to take off offensively.

Circulartheory 09-02-2009 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeuceUNO (Post 20932691)
He's a 15-45=60 guy at his peak. The only way he scores 20 goals or more is if he makes his presence known within a 15 radius of the net. He's basically a better skating version of Andrew Brunette.

Lemaire's system just wasn't conducive to Sheppard producing; he excels at forechecking, and making plays down low and along the boards- look at the assists he had on Owen Nolan goals late last year, all nifty touch passes through traffic around the net.

Todd Richards' system should enable Sheppard to take off offensively.

Thats how I view him as well. He's very good at protecting the puck and is good at cycling it as well. As he matures and gains experience, cycling the puck will turn into assists and goals. He'll be like Brunette, except a better skater: 60 point man, two-way player