HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Tomas Plekanec, the overlooked prospect.... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=67287)

db23 04-02-2004 07:04 PM

Tomas Plekanec, the overlooked prospect....

Tomas is quietly putting together a great AHL season. Most of the discussion seems to be about Higgins, Perezhogin and others, but I think this guy is the most likely to step in as a regular next season. He had virtually the same AHL numbers a year ago, in his rookie season, as Perezhogin and Higgins have this season. There was more depth on last years team as well. He is about 6 months older than Alex and Chris, and he is about the same size. Leading the team in scoring, and plays responsible defence.

Habs4ever 04-02-2004 07:32 PM

He's under rated mostly because we drafted him in third round!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by db23
Tomas is quietly putting together a great AHL season. Most of the discussion seems to be about Higgins, Perezhogin and others, but I think this guy is the most likely to step in as a regular next season. He had virtually the same AHL numbers a year ago, in his rookie season, as Perezhogin and Higgins have this season. There was more depth on last years team as well. He is about 6 months older than Alex and Chris, and he is about the same size. Leading the team in scoring, and plays responsible defence.

and thats why many fans over look his potential, thinking Higging/Perezhogin must be well ahead of him in depth chart with high pick but right now he looks to be very solid prospect just like Balez.

ChemiseBleuHonnete 04-02-2004 08:09 PM

I remember he was the best player in pre-season. He was creating offense on every shifts while playing a solid defensive game. He's gonna be a useful nhler for sure.

Blind Gardien 04-02-2004 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by db23

I agree that he's the most "NHL ready" of our prospects, based on his consistent effort and strong 2-way game. He plays like Koivu for the Dogs. He's that important in all areas of the game. But of course, he gets overlooked because it's harder to see where he fits on the team. Most teams in the NHL would be afraid to go with Koivu, Ribeiro, and Plekanec at centre.

Personally, I'd say that if we don't bring Juneau back and Dowd doesn't stay on, then I'd take the risk with the size at centre and get Plekanec in for the 3rd line. I think he could look pretty good with Bulis and maybe Higgins/Ward for example, giving us a fast 2-way 3rd line. After all, Juneau's not all that big, nor are Dowd and Begin if you want to count them in at centre. Plekanec is pretty solid and plays hard. Somewhere along the way, we still need to find a way to get _some_ size in the lineup, though. Maybe a big FA power winger to play with Koivu...

FA-Koivu-Zed
Ryder-Ribeiro-Perezhogin
Bulis-Plekanec-Higgins
Begin-Dowd-Ward

It's expecting a lot from the kids, but I'd be willing to take the chance. Of course, with the lockout, there's a pretty good chance that Higgins and Perez will still got some extra needed seasoning in the AHL too, so it's not quite as bad as it sounds.

Munchausen 04-02-2004 09:14 PM

I've always liked Plekanec, more than Ribs actually, since he's the same kind of creative playmaker, except much faster and stronger. But even if I'm not one to overrate the size issue, 3 very small centers in the East means trouble against the top and much bigger teams. I cannot imagine Gainey wanting to build this team around Koivu, Ribeiro and Plekanec as his main 3 centers. That's why people don't talk much about him. He's good. He's very good. But there's already 2 proven smallish centers in front of him. And it's not like we have big power wingers to compensate their lack of strenght either. Of course, I feel Plekanec is strong enough to handle himself in the corners (much better than Ribs) and has enough speed and quickness to get by, but even though I see him fitting well in Montreal, sooner or later we'll have to make a choice on which centers we keep.

Some days I feel we should go with Koivu, Ribeiro and Higgins... Others with Koivu, Plekanec and a big 3rd line center ala Scatchard... I don't know and won't be the one having to make this critical decision anyway. But I would be shocked if Plekanec got a regular shift next year along with Koivu and Ribeiro at the center position.

Corey 04-02-2004 09:21 PM

If Ribeiro fizzles in the playoffs, is it inconceivable that Gainey would trade him to make room for Plekanec? Ribeiro has already hit the wall in the regular season. Not many points in the losing streak.

Andrei Kastsitsyn* 04-02-2004 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corey
If Ribeiro fizzles in the playoffs, is it inconceivable that Gainey would trade him to make room for Plekanec? Ribeiro has already hit the wall in the regular season. Not many points in the losing streak.

Oh my god... some people on this board are REALLY idiotic... *points at you*

You're on my ignore list, bye! :banana:

Rahan 04-02-2004 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrei Kastsitsyn
Oh my god... some people on this board are REALLY idiotic... *points at you*

You're on my ignore list, bye! :banana:

Actually I somewhat agree with Corey. Ignore me..

Andrei Kastsitsyn* 04-02-2004 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rahan
Actually I somewhat agree with Corey. Ignore me..

Let me ask you, you agree with that we have 1 good young 23 year old Center in Ribeiro who is just starting to come into his own, and now since hes starting to flourish, HEY, LET'S TRADE HIM TO MAKE ROOM FOR PLEKANEC BECAUSE UM WE LIKE PLEKANEC MORE THEN RIBS AND BECAUSE RIBS HASN'T HAD ANY POINTS DURING THEIR LOSING STREAK.

Know what? i am gonna ignore you too. See ya. :banghead:

Habsfunk 04-02-2004 09:33 PM

Quote:

Nobodys had many points during the losing streak, so its a moot point.

FF de Mars 04-02-2004 09:36 PM

It all depens

Quote:

Let me ask you, you agree with that we have 1 good young 23 year old Center in Ribeiro who is just starting to come into his own, and now since hes starting to flourish, HEY, LET'S TRADE HIM TO MAKE ROOM FOR PLEKANEC BECAUSE UM WE LIKE PLEKANEC MORE THEN RIBS AND BECAUSE RIBS HASN'T HAD ANY POINTS DURING THEIR LOSING STREAK.

I'm not saying TRADE RIBEIRO. However, if the right offer comes along, I don't see why we shouldn't trade him, especially with Plekanek and Higgins waiting their turn... Still, I'm not sure if Ribeiro holds a good trade value right now: he is small, slow, and weak. Is there any team willing to trade something valuable enoough for him (F.A. a young power forward that is on the verge of breaking out but who hasn't)? If yes, I'd trade him and promote Higgins or Plek. If not, I'd keep Ribs; he's proven a lot more.

Mooch 04-02-2004 09:40 PM

Im not sold on ribs yet either.

HabsYounGuns 04-02-2004 09:41 PM

Quote:

Do same with me Forest! You said it yourself body, Ribs is 23 years old and still have some major flaws in his game... He is extremmely weak and rather slow! Plekanec is alot quicker, stronger, better shot, never take a shift off and is a great creative playmaker as Ribs is!

I don't know what's the deal to put every posters you desagree with on your ignore list but it's really not in your favor!

DEBASER 04-02-2004 09:44 PM

Quote:

jeez, buddy, you're a little trigger happy with the ignore list. all the posters did was voice their opinion; thats the point of this board - to share your opinion and get feedback from others.

if you are just going to 'ignore' everyone who has a different view than you, why bother posting on this board? talking to yourself in a corner would be just as constructive.

Mooch 04-02-2004 09:44 PM

Quote:

I think you need to learn of the word "respect"

After you have done that, show some please.

Jeez.

Munchausen 04-02-2004 09:55 PM

Quote:

Gainey's a patient man, and takes only calculated risks it seems. So I'm sure there's no chance in hell he trades one of Koivu or Ribeiro until either Higgins or Plekanec show they can steal their jobs full time (and by that I mean for a whole season, playoffs included, not just during a stretch).

As for judging Ribeiro from the losing streak we're in, might as well trade the whole team, as they didn't do much better.

I'm higher on Plekanec than Ribeiro because he's much stronger on his skates and faster, but no way would I just hand him a scoring line centering job and get rid of Ribeiro in the process yet. That would be Milbury's way. Let him earn his due.

Mooch 04-02-2004 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munchausen
Gainey's a patient man, and takes only calculated risks it seems. So I'm sure there's no chance in hell he trades one of Koivu or Ribeiro until either Higgins or Plekanec show they can steal their jobs full time (and by that I mean for a whole season, playoffs included, not just during a stretch).

As for judging Ribeiro from the losing streak we're in, might as well trade the whole team, as they didn't do much better.

I'm higher on Plekanec than Ribeiro because he's much stronger on his skates and faster, but no way would I just hand him a scoring line centering job and get rid of Ribeiro in the process yet. That would be Milbury's way. Let him earn his due.

I agree with everything in bold

FF de Mars 04-02-2004 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munchausen

Makes a lot of sense!

Mike8 04-03-2004 01:36 AM

I don't see any real problems in running with Koivu, Ribeiro, Plekanec and Begin as the center depth.

It's become evident that the team wants to roll four lines. And I thought the most entertaining game of the season was against New Jersey a couple weeks back when the team did roll four lines. Every line was fresh and working for their ice time.

I also think it's become evident that the coaching staff would prefer the third line to have some good scoring punch, and have the fourth line be the checking unit. This means a coachable Plekanec would fit in on the third line. While he might struggle defensively at times, he's as coachable as anyone and will grow into a sound two way player.

I don't think size is an issue here. Plekanec's put on a lot of strength in both his upper and lower body. He uses his size down low in both zones. I don't remember the last time I've seen Plekanec fall; he's just that strong on his skates.

Kerberos* 04-03-2004 09:13 AM

Quote:

Please put me on your ignore list too. I don't agree with the Ribeiro point but I still want to be on your ignore list. Thanks.

Aarex 04-03-2004 09:30 AM

Quote:

Hey dude, since you seem to think you are so above everyone else, and that their OPINIONS are _so_ bad that you feel the need to "Ignore them" how about you find a different board...hell heres a idea there are lots of places where you can sign up and get your very own FREE board! you can start your OWN board and talk to yourself all night long! that way you will never have to listen our Ignorant words again!

:bow: :banghead: