HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Anaheim Ducks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Which prospects have the best shot at making the team? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=673242)

jax00 08-17-2009 09:42 PM

Which prospects have the best shot at making the team?

On defense, it looks like one of Salcido, Mitera, Mikkelson, or Festerling will take the final defense spot. However, there is a chance Brookbank or McCarthy play well enough to beat them out. On forward, the only real threats to make the lineup seem to be Beleskey or Bodie, although their chances are small.

If I had to guess, I say only Mikkelson makes the squad.

Static 08-17-2009 10:54 PM

I'd say log mac has a good chance at laying out the spread everyday during training camp. It's a big roll (hehe), only time will tell if he's up to the task.

On another note, anybody else see the irony in ducks4cup's name being Dick? I mean really.

TheJoeMan 08-18-2009 12:36 AM

We only have space for a 7th D-man and it'll be a battle between McCarthy, Salcido, Mikkelson and Festerling(if he ever signs). I'm rooting for Salcido. I think Mikkelson's minor league eligibilty will get him in the AHL no matter how good his camp is. Festerling and McCarthy are the guys I'm most comfortable with being scratched most nights. Festerling isn't going to learn more playing in the minors and is physically mature enough to stay in game shape while watching from the press box. McCarthy I could care less about. He could picked up on waivers for all I care.

So to answer you're question I'm going to say nobody. I have a feeling our 7th D-man to start the year will be McCarthy and the rest will start in the minors.

Spankatola Jamnuts* 08-18-2009 12:41 AM

Let's not throw around the Dick Label willy-nilly.

Ducksforcup 08-18-2009 02:16 AM

:laugh: Well now the name is actually Richard, but I guess that is short for Dick.

As for the thread, I say Mikks or Festerling have the best shot.

Scouter 08-18-2009 02:27 AM

Sbisa should be on the team for sure, he's the only prospect I feel confident in saying will make your club.

iLau 08-18-2009 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goaler2 (Post 20801195)
Sbisa should be on the team for sure, he's the only prospect I feel confident in saying will make your club.

I wouldn't even put him on the list of people that might make the club, in fact I think he is pass the prospect label.

jax00 08-18-2009 02:56 AM

Yeah, I was thinking of him as a lock anyways

Scouter 08-18-2009 02:59 AM

Well to be honest, Sbisa started the year in philly then was sen't back to junior.

Go_Krog* 08-18-2009 11:44 AM

i think Mitera leapfrogs over Salcido/Mikkelson/Festerling and gets about 30 games this year.

bumperkisser 08-18-2009 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go_Krog (Post 20803843)
i think Mitera leapfrogs over Salcido/Mikkelson/Festerling and gets about 30 games this year.

I dont think hes ready yet for NHL.. i think he needs some AHL time if anything

Twindad* 08-18-2009 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ducksforcup (Post 20801175)
:laugh: Well now the name is actually Richard, but I guess that is short for Dick.

As for the thread, I say Mikks or Festerling have the best shot.

http://www.nataliedee.com/112205/tor...s-activate.jpg

Crowdy 08-18-2009 01:47 PM

Sbisa, Mitera

TheJoeMan 08-18-2009 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericnut (Post 20805402)
Sbisa, Mitera

Sbisa isn't a rookie anymore and is already a lock in my opinion. We traded Chris Pronger for him, he better play right out of camp.

I would be shocked to see Mitera earn a spot on the opening night roster (that is what we're talking about right?) He missed almost an entire season of hockey and has all of five games of pro experience so far. Plus picking him over Salcido, Festerling and McCarthy exposes each of them to waivers. Mitera and Mikkelson can be sent to the minors without risk and they'll probably be the first ones sent down (out of this group) because of that.

Crowdy 08-18-2009 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJoeMan (Post 20805491)
Sbisa isn't a rookie anymore and is already a lock in my opinion. We traded Chris Pronger for him, he better play right out of camp.

I would be shocked to see Mitera earn a spot on the opening night roster (that is what we're talking about right?) He missed almost an entire season of hockey and has all of five games of pro experience so far. Plus picking him over Salcido, Festerling and McCarthy exposes each of them to waivers. Mitera and Mikkelson can be sent to the minors without risk and they'll probably be the first ones sent down (out of this group) because of that.

The OP asked which prospects have the best shot at making the team. IMO, Sbisa and Mitera have the best shot and yes, Sbisa is a prospect. ;)

Duck Off 08-18-2009 03:21 PM

Ok aside from Sbisa, since everyone knows it's pretty much a given that he will be there, I would say that Salcido and Festerling have the best chances.

I think it's wishful thinking for some to think that Mitera will be in already. His contract is the largest, and this team has always taken it pretty slow with their defensemen.

Mikkelson won't be here on the big club, unless there is an injury, because of his minor league status.

I think Salcido will get the first chance. The team signed him to a one year deal for a reason. They want to try him out and see if he's worth keeping on the big club, because he doesn't have anything else left to prove in the AHL.

Festerling has a very good chance as well because honestly I don't think the team would hate him being their 6/7 defensemen. Like Salcido, the AHL won't do much for him.

I've said for a while now that I expect the defensive pairings to change at some point during the year. Personally I think Brookbank will be moved to the 7th defender spot at some point during the season, and our bottom pairing will be Salcido and Boynton.

As far as forwards go: Unless Belesekey or Macmillan have a great camp, then I don't expect any of them to make the team unless and injury occurs during the season. When we traded for R2 I think that really hurt Bodie's chance of making the team. Before we made that trade Bodie seemed like an option that would add more size and defensive play. Well size isn't a need anymore. I think Bodie does get first call up due to injury though.

TheJoeMan 08-18-2009 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericnut (Post 20806366)
The OP asked which prospects have the best shot at making the team. IMO, Sbisa and Mitera have the best shot and yes, Sbisa is a prospect. ;)

Despite the HF criteria, Sbisa is not a prospect for this team. He is penciled into our top-6 d-men. He's no longer a rookie by the amount of games he played last season so we shouldn't consider him one. In that same regard neither are Festerling or Mikkelson but they are very much still prospects. Symantics aside Mitera doesn't have the best chance to make this team. He is low on the depth chart and needn't be rushed into NHL action. As far as prospects are concerned Salcido, Mikkelson and Festerling have the best shot at making the team.

TheJoeMan 08-18-2009 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 (Post 20806795)
As far as forwards go: Unless Belesekey or Macmillan have a great camp, then I don't expect any of them to make the team unless and injury occurs during the season. When we traded for R2 I think that really hurt Bodie's chance of making the team. Before we made that trade Bodie seemed like an option that would add more size and defensive play. Well size isn't a need anymore. I think Bodie does get first call up due to injury though.

We have 19 players signed to one-way contracts which doesn't include the two-way deals Ryan, Ebbett and Sbisa have. That's 22 man roster without a 7th d-man. So I feel unless there's an injury, no matter good a camp guys like Belesky, MacMillan or Bodie have, our forward ranks are already set. There will be injuries throughout the year and in that regard Bodie and Belesky should get first dibs. I feel MacMillan will have to go above and beyond to jump on the depth chart. I feel Bonino would have been in the mix if had signed a contract.

But even with injuries I don't expect significant amount of games for our forward prospects this year.

Talentless Practise* 08-18-2009 05:00 PM

Sbisa is still very much a prospect. Alternative being an established NHL d-man which he isn't by any stretch of the imagination.

This upcoming season is probably the last opportunity for Carter to put it together. If he doesn't, guys like MacMillan and Beleskey will surpass him on the depth chart.

Gibsons Finest 08-18-2009 08:48 PM

I have a feeling that Steve McCarthy will end up surprising and making the top-6 outright, and with Brookbank being the 7th guy, so I don't expect any of the defensive prospects to make it. At forward, I think a guy like Bodie or Beleskey has a shot, but I'm not sure either will make it.

Crowdy 08-19-2009 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJoeMan (Post 20807961)
Despite the HF criteria, Sbisa is not a prospect for this team. He is penciled into our top-6 d-men. He's no longer a rookie by the amount of games he played last season so we shouldn't consider him one. In that same regard neither are Festerling or Mikkelson but they are very much still prospects. Symantics aside Mitera doesn't have the best chance to make this team. He is low on the depth chart and needn't be rushed into NHL action. As far as prospects are concerned Salcido, Mikkelson and Festerling have the best shot at making the team.

Sbisa is a prospect.

TheJoeMan 08-19-2009 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericnut (Post 20814592)
Sbisa is a prospect.

He is not. A prospect, as far as I consider the meaning of the word, means a player that is projected to play with the big club in the future. A player that is expected to play from Day one of this season and play a big role in my opinion is not a prospect. By that criteria I don't consider John Tavares a prospect either. Even by HF's criteria he has to play less than 30 games to no longer be a prospect. Let's put it this way, he's not battling for a spot like Mikkelson, Mitera, Salcido and Festerling are.

Sojourn 08-19-2009 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DucksRule00 (Post 20799129)
On defense, it looks like one of Salcido, Mitera, Mikkelson, or Festerling will take the final defense spot. However, there is a chance Brookbank or McCarthy play well enough to beat them out. On forward, the only real threats to make the lineup seem to be Beleskey or Bodie, although their chances are small.

If I had to guess, I say only Mikkelson makes the squad.

Well, since Mitera is expected to start in the AHL (per Murray's statement), I'd go with Mikkelson too.

Duck Off 08-19-2009 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sojourn (Post 20820168)
Well, since Mitera is expected to start in the AHL (per Murray's statement), I'd go with Mikkelson too.

Out of curiosity why do so many people think Mikkelson will be the one to play on the big club? His AHL elgibility takes his chances way down IMO. I think him and Festerling were pretty even last year, and since Mikkelson can be sent down, IMO he's a given to be in the AHL. I think the team signing Salcido to a one year deal means that they will give him a look this year to see if he's worth signing again.

TheJoeMan 08-20-2009 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 (Post 20823686)
Out of curiosity why do so many people think Mikkelson will be the one to play on the big club? His AHL elgibility takes his chances way down IMO. I think him and Festerling were pretty even last year, and since Mikkelson can be sent down, IMO he's a given to be in the AHL. I think the team signing Salcido to a one year deal means that they will give him a look this year to see if he's worth signing again.

He has the most talent out of the three. After all he missed being a first rounder by one pick. If his head can catch up to the rest of his body he'll be a solid NHL D-man. I am though of the same opinion that his AHL eligibility will really work against him to make the team out of camp. That is unless he proves to be the best of the bunch. There's a strong possibility though that we'll lose either Salcido or Festerling to waivers though so that might factor into things.