HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Speculation: Patrick Marleau stripped of the C: Let the rumours fly... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=673322)

Habsterix* 08-18-2009 09:01 AM

Patrick Marleau stripped of the C: Let the rumours fly...
 
"As of now, nobody's our captain", says coach Todd McLennan.


http://blogs.mercurynews.com/sharks/

MonacoBlue 08-18-2009 09:03 AM

Why would they strip him of the C and then trade him? They might as well just trade him without stripping him of the C. It only lowers his value and makes people think he's available. If they wanted him to waive his NTC, they could have approached him without actually stripping him of the C.

My bet is that Marleau is a Shark next year. Boyle takes the C and Marleau enjoys a great season with less pressure on his shoulders.

llamateizer 08-18-2009 09:03 AM

Thornton + Marleau for Halak

Modano lost his "C" last season and he's still with dallas

The Nightman 08-18-2009 09:11 AM

:scared:Hossa:scared:
:scared:Sundin:scared:
:scared:Lecavalier:scared:
:scared:Frolov:scared:
:scared:Marleau:scared:

what next? :facepalm:

RC51 08-18-2009 09:13 AM

If true then why would the habs want him? he must be no good at all or he is no longer any good as in " I am a rich guy now so I don't need to work hard anymore"

Newhabfan 08-18-2009 09:16 AM

I don't like this Marleau craze (though it's nothing compared to the Sundin one). However...

I find it hard to keep a player in your team after you stripped him of his C. Maybe some other posters, more knowledgeable can point me to cases where the team took the C from a player who was captain for a while and kept him afterwards with success. There are probably cases but not many.

So it is a sign that Marleau might get traded. Habs or not ...remains to be seen.

hototogisu 08-18-2009 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaoticEntity (Post 20802305)
Why would they strip him of the C and then trade him? They might as well just trade him without stripping him of the C. It only lowers his value and makes people think he's available. If they wanted him to waive his NTC, they could have approached him without actually stripping him of the C.

My bet is that Marleau is a Shark next year. Boyle takes the C and Marleau enjoys a great season with less pressure on his shoulders.

This.

& Welcome to the board, CE.

Daice 08-18-2009 09:22 AM

If he gets stripped from capitancy in his team, do we really want him now??

it's just plain and stupid what they did IF indeed they want to trade him, it just lowers his valkue cause you say to yourself, hey this guy is no leader....

OR

maybe he doesnt want to wave his NTC and now that he has faced some sort of '''humiliation'' he will consider it more......


If he becomes a hab, we will have one of the best 2 first centers after pittsburg(crosby malkin), detroit(datsyuk Zetterberg), dallas (ribeiro richards, questionnable) and philly(richards carter)
Boston( savard, and the other guy) who did I forget?

MonacoBlue 08-18-2009 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hototogisu (Post 20802444)
This.

& Welcome to the board, CE.

Thanks I've been a lurker for a while.

The Nightman 08-18-2009 09:26 AM

I don't want to trade for a player who we are not going to be able to resign at the end of the season

Newhabfan 08-18-2009 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaoticEntity (Post 20802305)
Why would they strip him of the C and then trade him? They might as well just trade him without stripping him of the C. It only lowers his value and makes people think he's available. If they wanted him to waive his NTC, they could have approached him without actually stripping him of the C.

My bet is that Marleau is a Shark next year. Boyle takes the C and Marleau enjoys a great season with less pressure on his shoulders.

MAybe it's part of some pressure tactics. Maybe Marleau refuses to lift his NTC (happened before with others and California is a good place to live in) and they are trying to make him feel unwanted to the point where he accepts.

Pure speculation, I know....

shutehinside 08-18-2009 09:29 AM

Sounds like he nixed a deal or told them he would refuse one and now they're telling him he's no longer wanted there so he might as well leave. Not as bad as what TBay did with Boyle but along the same lines.

number 11 08-18-2009 09:39 AM

Marleau to Habs (E100000)

MonacoBlue 08-18-2009 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shutehinside (Post 20802533)
Sounds like he nixed a deal or told them he would refuse one and now they're telling him he's no longer wanted there so he might as well leave. Not as bad as what TBay did with Boyle but along the same lines.

The Sharks could have made it clear to Marleau that they didn't want him without taking it public. The whole point of making a public ordeal is to get everyone used to Marleau on the Sharks without the C.

neofury* 08-18-2009 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daice (Post 20802469)
If he gets stripped from capitancy in his team, do we really want him now??

it's just plain and stupid what they did IF indeed they want to trade him, it just lowers his valkue cause you say to yourself, hey this guy is no leader....

OR

maybe he doesnt want to wave his NTC and now that he has faced some sort of '''humiliation'' he will consider it more......


If he becomes a hab, we will have one of the best 2 first centers after pittsburg(crosby malkin), detroit(datsyuk Zetterberg), dallas (ribeiro richards, questionnable) and philly(richards carter)
Boston( savard, and the other guy) who did I forget?

Getzlaf and Koivu

PATCHESx67 08-18-2009 09:56 AM

Well the sharks did say on a live press conference that they were gonna make some big changes to the team and nothing happened so far.....soo who knows what they'll do

shutehinside 08-18-2009 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaoticEntity (Post 20802622)
The Sharks could have made it clear to Marleau that they didn't want him without taking it public. The whole point of making a public ordeal is to get everyone used to Marleau on the Sharks without the C.

Maybe they tried privately that and it didn't work so they decided he didn't have the teams best interest in mind. If that's the case then it would be easy to justify stripping him of the "C" publicily to help push him away. I mean that's a BIG slap in the face to a guy like Marleau and differnet then when Modano was stripped as he was on the verge of retiring anyways until he pulled a Farve. It was even a big deal when Conroy gave up his "C" to give to Iggy.

beowulf 08-18-2009 10:03 AM

Come on season, get here and start so that the rumor mongers have something else to talk about.

Sanderson 08-18-2009 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shutehinside (Post 20802756)
Maybe they tried privately that and it didn't work so they decided he didn't have the teams best interest in mind. If that's the case then it would be easy to justify stripping him of the "C" publicily to help push him away. I mean that's a BIG slap in the face to a guy like Marleau and differnet then when Modano was stripped as he was on the verge of retiring anyways until he pulled a Farve. It was even a big deal when Conroy gave up his "C" to give to Iggy.

There were reports some weeks ago how Wilson and Marleau discussed the future, that means every possibility, even him giving up the captaincy. Marleau said that he would do what is best for the team. If that's giving up the captaincy, he would do it. This isn't some sudden development.

If Marleau already said that he would do it, it isn't much of a punishment anymore, nor can it be used to put pressure on him to accept a trade. I'd say that this is more of an indication that he isn't going anywhere.

Joe Thornton was also stripped of his A for now, it doesn't mean much. The staff will evaluate who can lead the team the best, that's all. It could end with both remaining C and A, not that I think they will.

MonacoBlue 08-18-2009 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sanderson (Post 20802829)
There were reports some weeks ago how Wilson and Marleau discussed the future, that means every possibility, even him giving up the captaincy. Marleau said that he would do what is best for the team. If that's giving up the captaincy, he would do it. This isn't some sudden development.

If Marleau already said that he would do it, it isn't much of a punishment anymore, nor can it be used to put pressure on him to accept a trade. I'd say that this is more of an indication that he isn't going anywhere.

Joe Thornton was also stripped of his A for now, it doesn't mean much. The staff will evaluate who can lead the team the best, that's all. It could end with both remaining C and A, not that I think they will.

The Sharks are a curious case because their leaders ARE Thornton and Marleau. These guys have always been the leaders and even if you strip them of their letters they'll still be key players.

-They've lost important veteran role players in Roenick and Grier.
-The only guy who I can see filling the void is Boyle.
-Blake is a solid player, but he would be providing the same kind of leadership as Thornton. Blake has never been an Yzerman type.
-Pavelski and Mitchell are still too green for a leadership position.

The problem is, if you want to trade Marleau, you also want to do it without hurting the team or its cap position since that's already bad enough. DW has done nothing all summer despite saying he would be holding players accountable and making big changes. It seems Wilson couldn't find the right move to make. Then came the news as you said about Marleau being willing to give up the C. Now this. This is why I don't think Marleau is going anywhere.

odishabs 08-18-2009 10:45 AM

This is getting overblown. I would love to see a Gomer/Marleau combo. But to moe this is just a case of they failed in the playoffs with Marleau as their leader. Time to change the mood in the room

JHabs 08-18-2009 10:48 AM

I don't think this comes as a surprise. Marleau knew it was comming, however I don't see how this improves his relationship with San Jose. I Do feel that this is the huge flare shot up in the air saying he will be traded before the season starts. WE need to free cap before we do so though.

Whitesnake 08-18-2009 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HABbiest (Post 20802382)
:scared:Hossa:scared:
:scared:Sundin:scared:
:scared:Lecavalier:scared:
:scared:Frolov:scared:
:scared:Marleau:scared:

what next? :facepalm:

Too many players. We need to bring the Maroons back in Montreal. Buy the Coyotes, rename them the Maroons, then we'll be able to get all those players...;)

JackieChan 08-18-2009 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yarfangor (Post 20803224)
I don't think this comes as a surprise. Marleau knew it was comming, however I don't see how this improves his relationship with San Jose. I Do feel that this is the huge flare shot up in the air saying he will be traded before the season starts. WE need to free cap before we do so though.

Yep, and a maybe a way to provoke him to drop his ntc maybe. Which would be, if true, really shameful for the Sharks organization.

slamigo 08-18-2009 01:32 PM

Ah, you guys are blind. Isn't it obvious to everyone that they have promised the 'C' to Dominant Dany Heatley? :sarcasm:
This must just be the precursor to the Heatley to SJ deal.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:18 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.