HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Devries (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=67447)

BLACKBURN 04-03-2004 02:09 PM

Devries

Dosent sound like the sens fans are liking what they are seeing. Does anyone here have opinions on him, Rachunek and the deal?

Opinions would be much appreciated :help:

Sather Hater 04-03-2004 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLACKBURN
Dosent sound like the sens fans are liking what they are seeing. Does anyone here have opinions on him, Rachunek and the deal?

Opinions would be much appreciated :help:

Devries was a good all around steady defenseman while he was here in NY. Defensively he is an upgrade over Rachunek, and for Ottawa's playoff run should be much more valuable to the Senators than Rachunek would have been in my opinion.

It's still early to say much about Rachunek, so far he seems to have been on the ice for quite a few goals against (I think he is a -9 already on the Rangers). He is an excellent skater, and has decent skills, but we have enough defenseman like that already (Poti, Pock, etc). It will take more than 10-11 games to make a fair assesment.

Fletch 04-03-2004 03:44 PM

Not sure you can point to a +/- stat...

over the last three weeks and say there's any meaning to the number. The Rangers' goaltending has been weak, the roster almost entirely turned over, and there's been a lack of scoring goals. Rachunek's looking better now than he did when he started. deVries was an OK defenseman in my opinion. Decent on the second pairing, better on a third, and best on a good team.

Sather Hater 04-03-2004 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch
over the last three weeks and say there's any meaning to the number. The Rangers' goaltending has been weak, the roster almost entirely turned over, and there's been a lack of scoring goals. Rachunek's looking better now than he did when he started. deVries was an OK defenseman in my opinion. Decent on the second pairing, better on a third, and best on a good team.

I just checked his plus/minus and referred to it because a few times when goals were scored against recently and he was on the ice he was no where to be found in front of the net, didn't make a difference it has happened with all the partners he has been with - lampan, pock, etc.

RangersFan 04-03-2004 05:28 PM

Maybe our opinions of him were inflated, because for the first time in a while we actually had a defenseman who played defense...

Sather Hater 04-04-2004 12:53 AM

It's definitely a deal that made sense for both teams. With the Rangers finally rebuilding, Rachunek being alot younger makes much more sense than keeping a 32+ year old Devries around.

charliemurphy 04-04-2004 04:43 AM

DeVries didn't fit with the rebuilding plan?...that is now place. Two things:Age,Big Contract.
I'm sure that Rachunek was pressing and upset when he was dealt.And,Giroux will get some looks at camp.

rickyrod 04-05-2004 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charliemurphy
I'm sure that Rachunek was pressing and upset when he was dealt.

i think he was glad to be traded, just not to the rangers.

i know he isn't a rookie, but i'd still like to see him go up to calgary in the offseason witht he rookies and work out a bit. in fact, i wouldn't mind if everyone on the team under 25 went to calgary this summer for the camp.

BDubinskyNYR17* 04-05-2004 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickyrod
i think he was glad to be traded, just not to the rangers.

i know he isn't a rookie, but i'd still like to see him go up to calgary in the offseason witht he rookies and work out a bit. in fact, i wouldn't mind if everyone on the team under 25 went to calgary this summer for the camp.

I remember this past summer Richard Scott went on his own will. Anyone know the status of Scott? I think Ortmeyer will prolly go as well.

Brooklyn Ranger 04-06-2004 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
I remember this past summer Richard Scott went on his own will. Anyone know the status of Scott? I think Ortmeyer will prolly go as well.

Actually, Scott was invited by the Ranger organization because injuries (including a concussion) had limited his play that season (2002-3). Haven't heard any updates on his condition recently, but he's still listed as "out indefinitely with a concussion" by the team--not a good sign at all.

Fletch 04-06-2004 09:23 AM

I'd say there's zero chance...

Rachunek goes to any 'rookie' camp. He has over 100 NHL points as a defenseman. Has played in almost 300 NHL games. What does he have to gain in rookie camp, and wouldn't the coaching staff's efforts be better served tending to other players? Maybe Rachunek gets lucky and plays for the Czech Rebublic in the Worlds.

jas 04-06-2004 10:22 AM

Actually...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch
Rachunek goes to any 'rookie' camp. He has over 100 NHL points as a defenseman. Has played in almost 300 NHL games. What does he have to gain in rookie camp, and wouldn't the coaching staff's efforts be better served tending to other players? Maybe Rachunek gets lucky and plays for the Czech Rebublic in the Worlds.

both Sam and JD mentioned that he would be joining Jagr and Hlavac at the Worlds for Czech Republic.