HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Kings Article: Doughty tries to prove he belongs - Olympic Scrimmages (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=675151)

Reydin 08-25-2009 10:04 AM

Doughty tries to prove he belongs - Olympic Scrimmages

Thought Kings fans might enjoy this.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/685974

Pronger, now a Philadelphia Flyer, was paired yesterday with 19-year-old Drew Doughty of the Los Angeles Kings, one of a group of young, talented defencemen hoping to crack Team Canada's lineup.

Doughty would be the youngest player to make a Canadian roster for a major best-on-best international event since Eric Lindros made the '91 Canada Cup team at age 18. Doing it on defence, needless to say, is a great deal more difficult.

"I don't think they would have invited me just to invite me," said Doughty, who has skated in London all summer with other Team Canada hopefuls Corey Perry and Andy McDonald. "It shows me they're interested and think I have a chance of making this team. So it's kind of in my hands now. It's up to me."

Gentle Ben Kenobi 08-25-2009 10:08 AM

Thanks!

Telos 08-25-2009 10:52 AM

It would be epic if he made it. I haven't seen a single line-up made by fans that has him included (though that isn't unjustified at all given how much talent there is available). I'll keep my fingers crossed...

DAkings20 08-25-2009 01:02 PM

yeah it would be awesome if he made the team, but I do think its a longshot

Pucknut50 08-25-2009 01:07 PM

No please do not make the team we need him to log 30 min a game in LA.

Quattro 08-25-2009 01:20 PM

I don't like the idea of him associating with Corey Perry :p:

Homunculous 08-25-2009 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quattro (Post 20875007)

Know thy enemy. Doughty is just on a short scouting mission, much like an abridged version of O'Die's. :D

T2M 08-25-2009 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Telos (Post 20873310)
It would be epic if he made it. I haven't seen a single line-up made by fans that has him included (though that isn't unjustified at all given how much talent there is available). I'll keep my fingers crossed...

And yet a couple months ago the TSN insiders all had Doughty on their Olympic teams. It sounds like the people close to the Team Canada hierarchy have some inside view on Drew. If Doughty continues to improve, I think he challenges for one of the bottom two positions on the team. If he doesn't, then he's the easiest cut to make because "he'll be there next time."

Cutty Sarkn3ss* 08-25-2009 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quattro (Post 20875007)

I was thinking the same thing. . .

Mr Irreverent 08-25-2009 03:00 PM

Yzerman has a major boner for Doughty. Don't be surprised if he makes the team as Team Canada will want the future of the team to have some experience.

kingdoughty 08-25-2009 07:47 PM

Does Doughty have any chance of making team Canada this year for the olympics?

I don't think he can, but it would be awesome if he did. He would get a lot of good experience

Kings man 4 life 08-25-2009 07:54 PM

Only reason he would make the team is to have him as the first of the next generation to begin gaining experience. Players like Pronger are getting older. Obviously we all know how special DD is and the big wigs see this. Doughty is the kind young player that can possibility hold his own at that level of play. Playing in 2010 at that age will yield tons of experience for 2014. If he does make the team, then he's going to be a key piece for Canada for the next 2 decades.

Captain Ron 08-25-2009 07:55 PM

With all of the talented, veteran Canadian defensemen? I would say no.

JDM 08-25-2009 08:02 PM

Not a great chance, but he does have a shot I think. Its also not like making a regular team where you aren't going to put Doughty as you 6-7 for the season because he's better off playing top pairing minutes in the minors. This is just a single tournament, so even if he isn't one of the top 6, they might bring him along for the ride and as inj*** replacement for the experience and to ingratiate him to the tournament, as I'm sure they are looking at him to lead them for years to come.

JMFJ 3 08-25-2009 08:15 PM

Possibly, but it'll be as a 7th defenseman. Doughty has nothing to lose and is very familiar with Hockey Canada.

BigKing 08-25-2009 08:22 PM

Team Canada doesn't *need* to give a spot to a young kid just so he can be good for the next Olympics.Team Canada is not the Los Angeles Kings.

They aren't going to leave a better player at home during said players "time" just to have a kid gain some experience so he's better during his "time". It's all about winning the Gold Medal now: not the Olympics after the next one.

Only way he makes it is by coming out this season and seriously elevating his game right from the start. Then he will need some injuries to take place. I honestly feel it is a gigantic longshot.

For reference, I believe the article speaking about the camp said that he'd be the youngest player since Lindros to make the team. Doughty is fantastic but he is not a young Lindros.

LAX attack* 08-25-2009 08:25 PM

I dought it

TheNextOneX 08-25-2009 09:06 PM

Absolutely not.

Chruceg 08-25-2009 09:34 PM

The only reason why they invited Doughty, this also goes for Lucic and Mason as well, is to give the young players a taste of what will be required of them in the future. Yzerman knows these guys aren't going to make the team. But he also knows that there is a better than average chance that these guys make the team in four or eight years. So why not start acquainting them now with the expectations that will be placed on them in the future?

Doughty isn't at the camp to make the 2010 Olympics. He's at the camp to make the 2014 Olympics.

Gentle Ben Kenobi 08-25-2009 10:00 PM

Way back when I read an interview wheure Paul Kariya attributed his going to the All Star game and practicing with elite talent really tough him a ton about the game and the little tricks opponents would do against you on the ice, etc.

Even if Doughty doesn't make the team, He's going to learn a ton and come out of it a much wiser player.

northernKing 08-25-2009 10:30 PM

I'd be very surprised if NHL players took part in the 2014 Olympics. IMO the NHL wanted the media from the 2002 games then felt obligated for 2006 because they knew 2010 was back in NA.

yankeeking 08-25-2009 10:59 PM

I'm not sure what the roster limits are, but I do know someone will tell us shortly, but there are games against much lesser talent during the preseason games and the opening rounds that they may carry extra players to avoid injuries and gain some experience.........

Zad 08-25-2009 11:21 PM

I don't like the idea of Yzerman having wood for Doughty.

Riposte! 08-25-2009 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zad (Post 20881892)
I don't like the idea of Yzerman having wood for Doughty.

I don't like the idea of Zad not liking the idea of Yzerman having wood (for Doughty).

Telos 08-25-2009 11:59 PM

http://www.canada.com/sports/Marleau...394/story.html

Quote:

Drew Doughty, the youngest player at the orientation camp, couldn't believe it when Yzerman called to invite him in July.

"One of my first thoughts was it was a joke," said the Los Angeles Kings defenceman, only 19 and one season into his NHL career.

"I saved his message so I could hear it over again, but I dropped my phone in the water and now the phone doesn't work. I can't hear what he said. Really disappointing."
:laugh: