HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Proposal: Rangers want your play-making center (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=675169)

Rome 08-25-2009 11:50 AM

Rangers want your play-making center

Just a couple of "available" options I think are worth the discussion. Thoughts? Criticisms? Suggestions?

--------------------------------------------------
1. Todd White – Atlanta Thrashers

With the recent acquisition of Antropov, and already deep at center with Reasoner, Little, Slater, Thorburn, Peverley, Perrin and [Evander] Kane, Todd White could likely be had via trade without a team having to give up much to snag him. He's also got two years left on his deal with a $2.375M annual cap hit.

Scouting Report:
Quote:

Assets
Possesses excellent skating speed. Has sound offensive credentials and always gives maximum effort.

Flaws
Lacks size and strength. Tends to struggle when the checking gets tighter. Is somewhat prone to injury.

Career potential
Sound complementary center.
Recent Career:
2007-08 | ATL | 74 GP | 14-23-37 | -12 | 36 PIM | 6 PPG | 5 PPA | 1 SHG | 0 SHA | 4 GWG
2008-09 | ATL | 82 GP | 22-51-73 | -9 | 24 PIM | 12 PPG | 22 PPA | 1 SHG | 0 SHA | 0 GWG

2. Marc Savard – Boston Bruins

Not sure if anyone would have pegged David Krejci for a 73-point scoring second-year play-making center, but with his recent rise and again with the depth the team has at center in [a returning] Bergeron, Krejci, Sobotka and Kessel, I'm not sure Savard couldn't be pulled out of Boston for the right package considering he's in the last year of his four-year $20M contract heading into this season. He carries a $5M cap hit, so unless he's acquired at the deadline, the Rangers will have to include a bit of salary going back to Boston to make it happen.

Scouting Report:
Quote:

Assets
Is extremely shifty and sees the ice well. Possesses tremendous offensive zone instincts. An excellent playmaker, he finds his teammates with precision.

Flaws
Stands only 5-10 and, although gritty, can get outmuscled. Isn't the fastest skater and can get under his coach's skin because of a lack of discipline.

Career potential
No. 1 center.
Recent Career:

2007-08 | BOS | 74 GP | 15-63-78 | +3 | 66 PIM | 4 PPG | 27 PPA | 0 SHG | 2 SHA | 2 GWG
2008-09 | BOS | 82 GP | 25-63-88 | +25 | 70 PIM | 9 PPG | 21 PPA | 0 SHG | 2 SHA | 5 GWG

3. Brad Richards – Dallas Stars

Yes, I know – another near-$8M contract for an under-performer, but you have to understand that Richards is not Gomez no matter how "similar" their stats look. Gomez played for far superior teams in his nine-year career while Richards played behind Lecavalier on one-cup winning team and quite a few playoff-missing squads. Either way, an obvious swap of salary would be required, but there's no doubting Ricahrds' play-making abilities, and he's a proven playoff performer who scores at more than a point-per-game when it matters most.

Scouting Report:

Quote:

Assets
Has incredible imagination with the puck and excellent playmaking ability. Likes to shoot the puck often and play the point on the power play.

Flaws
Isn't big or physical, so he can wear down against bigger opposing centers. His defensive game has regressed over time, as has his production.

Career potential
Smart scoring center.
Recent Career:
2007-08 | DAL | 12 GP | 2-9-11 | -2 | 0 PIM | 0 PPG | 3 PPA | 1 SHG | 0 SHA | 0 GWG
2008-09 | DAL | 56 GP | 16-32-48 | -4 | 6 PIM | 5 PPG | 14 PPA | 0 SHG | 2 SHA | 2 GWG

4. Pierre-Marc Bouchard – Minnesota Wild

Despite not being a mega-scorer, and though he plays more wing than he does center, he does have the capability to play center, and he does have proven chemistry with Marián Gáborík. He's got great vision and is a great puck-handler with a good skating stride. He recently signed a five-year back-loaded extension contract (of which he's played his first year of last season) that carries an annual cap hit of a very cap-friendly $4.08M.

Scouting Report:

Quote:

Assets
Owns tremendous vision and creativity. Is patient with the puck and very elusive. Has the potential to rack up impressive point totals.

Flaws
Needs to work on his play without the biscuit. Is smallish in stature and can get knocked off the puck too easily. Doesn't shoot enough.

Career potential
Top six winger.
Recent Career:

2007-08 | MIN | 81 GP | 13-50-63 | +11 | 34 PIM | 6 PPG | 19 PPA | 0 SHG | 0 SHA | 4 GWG
2008-09 | MIN | 71 GP | 16-30-46 | -5 | 20 PIM | 2 PPG | 14 PPA | 0 SHG | 0 SHA | 1 GWG

5. David Legwand – Nashville Predators

Probably not the most ideal candidate, he's still a speed demon with good goal-scoring instincts. Unfortunately, he's got five years (including this up-coming season) left on his deal that would cost his team $4.5M against the cap each year.

Scouting Report:

Quote:

Assets
Has exceptional speed, which may eventually win him a fastest skater contest in the NHL. Is a natural goal-scorer and possesses oodles of offensive flair.

Flaws
Needs to add more muscle to his 6-2 frame and avoid the injury bug. Must continue to work on his defensive game. May not meet offensive expectations.

Career potential
Second line center.
Recent Career:

2007-08 | NSH | 65 GP | 15-29-44 | -4 | 38 PIM | 4 PPG | 9 PPA | 0 SHG | 1 SHA | 1 GWG
2008-09 | NSH | 73 GP | 20-22-42 | -3 | 32 PIM | 1 PPG | 6 PPA | 3 SGS | 1 SHA | 1 GWG

Other notables: Patrick Marleau, Matt Stajan, Mats Sundin

park rangers 08-25-2009 11:57 AM

Ill take 2, 3, or 4.

Crazyhorse30 08-25-2009 11:59 AM

Rome Wasn't Built in a Day, man.

:)

hlundqvist30* 08-25-2009 12:05 PM

I think the Prospal signing ends any possibility of a big move. There's simply no way we can take on another forward, a center no less, without leaving Anisimov off the roster or trading Dubinsky.

Vitto79 08-25-2009 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazyhorse30 (Post 20874035)

agreed, let them play it out, lets see what Dubinsky and Anisimov can do

wolfgaze 08-25-2009 12:06 PM

Quote:

REPOST (from another forum) ;)

Carlos Ranger 08-25-2009 12:08 PM

I like Bouchard, but he doesn't really have "proven chemistry" with Gaborik, so I wouldn't get him just because they were on the same team for a few years.

When Bouchard had his best season, he was playing with Belanger & Rolston. He's rarely even played with Gaborik in the last 2 seasons.. only really on the powerplay, with Bouchard on the point.

Those sportsnet scouting reports stink by the way.

Rome 08-25-2009 12:27 PM

Quote:

No, but it might be over the course of an off-season. :)

Gardner McKay 08-25-2009 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 (Post 20874095)
I think the Prospal signing ends any possibility of a big move. There's simply no way we can take on another forward, a center no less, without leaving Anisimov off the roster or trading Dubinsky.

I see it the other way around. I think it solidifies that a move will be made.

Rome 08-25-2009 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabborik (Post 20874388)
I see it the other way around. I think it solidifies that a move will be made.

Well a move for another veteran D is certainly on it's way (Seidenberg), but I still don't think the search for a naturally offensively skilled top-flight center is done. Dubinsky simply doesn't have the tools required to fulfill that role adequately – scratch that – he can fill it adequately, but he can't fill it with much promise.

AXN 08-25-2009 01:39 PM

They need to sign Dubinsky.

LamoTheKid 08-25-2009 01:41 PM

"playmaking center" and the "torts guy" garbage is really beginning to get on my nerves.

beastly115 08-25-2009 02:05 PM

Trade Dubinsky.

HockeyBasedNYC 08-25-2009 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alphaqup (Post 20875521)
Trade Dubinsky.

For who and why

broadwayblue 08-25-2009 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfgaze (Post 20874108)
REPOST (from another forum) ;)

I'm pretty sure that phrase was around WAY before there were forums. ;)

Anyway, in answer to the question at hand. Pass. Ask me again in January.

RMcDonagh 08-25-2009 05:10 PM

Yeah, but the thing is, the Rangers dont need a playmaking center.

I'll keep my assets and sign the rising young fellow I have available to me, thanks very much.

NYRFAN218 08-25-2009 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crash the Net (Post 20877538)
Yeah, but the thing is, the Rangers dont need a playmaking center.

I'll keep my assets and sign the rising young fellow I have available to me, thanks very much.

This. Lets just go to war with what we have. Playing Dubinsky with Gaborik isn't the worst thing in the world. Him and Jagr did just fine together.

Crazyhorse30 08-25-2009 05:49 PM

I'll take Rolston.

bobbop 08-25-2009 06:21 PM

Todd White and PM Bouchard don't belong on this list. As for the others, check with me in February.

BrooklynRangersFan 08-25-2009 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broadwayblue (Post 20877253)
I'm pretty sure that phrase was around WAY before there were forums. ;)

Anyway, in answer to the question at hand. Pass. Ask me again in January.

I find that hard to credit - after all, there were forums in ancient Rome.

Sorry, had to do it. :)

darko 08-25-2009 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockey is Blue (Post 20873927)
With the recent acquisition of Antropov, and already deep at center with Reasoner, Little, Slater, Thorburn, Peverley, Perrin and [Evander] Kane, Todd White could likely be had via trade without a team having to give up much to snag him. He's also got two years left on his deal with a $2.375M annual cap hit.

Antropov, Little and Thornburn will most likely play wings. Peverley is decent but Slater, Reasoner and Perrin (also UFA) are all 3rd or 4th liners.

Maybe a Thrashers' fan could correct me but I see White centering Kovi and Little, dont understand why they would part with him. Kozlov and Antropov will most likely be on 2nd line with someone centering them. If they give up White and fail to get a C, who centers Kovi?

Rome 08-26-2009 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darko (Post 20880613)
Antropov, Little and Thornburn will most likely play wings. Peverley is decent but Slater, Reasoner and Perrin (also UFA) are all 3rd or 4th liners.

Maybe a Thrashers' fan could correct me but I see White centering Kovi and Little, dont understand why they would part with him. Kozlov and Antropov will most likely be on 2nd line with someone centering them. If they give up White and fail to get a C, who centers Kovi?

Kane has a legitimate shot at making the club out of camp. That's why a trade may work for someone like White, who's coming off a career year.

Bird Law 08-26-2009 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazyhorse30 (Post 20877953)
I'll take Rolston.

Yuck. Let the Debbies enjoy that horrible contract.

vipernsx 08-26-2009 10:53 AM

"Rangers want your play-making center" - no they don't!

The Rangers want to keep their young talented prospects.

odishabs 08-26-2009 11:00 AM

Bouchard
for
Anisimov and a 2nd