HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Stickhandling device (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=675381)

TMac21 08-26-2009 07:33 AM

Stickhandling device

Was browsing Youtube yesterday and came across this video for a product called QuickStickz - looks like a very cool training tool for kids to get better at stickhandling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3LcU...eature=related

Has anyone heard of this or used it before?

NigelSPNKr 08-26-2009 12:51 PM

hmm. Never seen that before.

I would stick with the good ole stick and puck, mind you i used to use a golf ball quite bit

TMac21 08-26-2009 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadaBacon (Post 20886367)
hmm. Never seen that before.

I would stick with the good ole stick and puck, mind you i used to use a golf ball quite bit

I agree with you there - but seems this would be a good tool to supplement practice time and develop skills in your own home.

IniNew 08-26-2009 01:06 PM

http://www.quickstickz.com is the website.

$200 USD to just test the product. I can't imagine what it's going to be for the final product.

TMac21 08-26-2009 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IniNew (Post 20886566)
http://www.quickstickz.com is the website.

$200 USD to just test the product. I can't imagine what it's going to be for the final product.

I actually contacted the company out of interest and the finished product should have about 20 drills and come at a cost of 200-300 with a subscription option.

TMac21 08-26-2009 01:16 PM

They also mentioned their new website should have alot more content and be up very shortly.

hockeyjoe_16 08-26-2009 01:24 PM

I grew up just using a stick and tennis ball. It bounces a lot more then a puck. If you can keep that under control a puck is easy.

Saved* 08-26-2009 01:24 PM

Let me guess.. this is your company and you're trying to plug it?

TMac21 08-26-2009 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rented Mule (Post 20886814)
Let me guess.. this is your company and you're trying to plug it?

Nope - just an interested consumer - and seeing as this is a product out of NS it would be cool for it to take off.

IniNew 08-26-2009 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMac21 (Post 20886655)
I actually contacted the company out of interest and the finished product should have about 20 drills and come at a cost of 200-300 with a subscription option.

$300+A Subscription? That's damn outrageous for a smart hockey ball hooked up to a computer.

TMac21 08-26-2009 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IniNew (Post 20886934)
$300+A Subscription? That's damn outrageous for a smart hockey ball hooked up to a computer.

From what I understood the subscription would be for updated content.

CuteHockeyBunny 08-26-2009 01:55 PM

I prefer the old method of taping a hot girl on a wall and using a golf ball. Sometimes a few minutes will pass before I realize I'm not hitting anything but eh, she doesn't care.

NigelSPNKr 08-26-2009 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IniNew (Post 20886934)

WOW. spend 50 cents on a golf ball

TMac21 08-26-2009 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadaBacon (Post 20887364)
WOW. spend 50 cents on a golf ball

Yeah - they may have more success to keep it closer to the $200 range.

IniNew 08-26-2009 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMac21 (Post 20887134)
From what I understood the subscription would be for updated content.

I'd like to brainstorm what other "content" they could update this program with.

Hardware: It's a ball, with a motion sensor. The movements are shown on the screen.

Default Program: You move the ball to take out targets on the screen in a timed fashion resulting in points.
  • Updates could include:
  • Avoiding an object for as long as you can.
  • Avoid moving objects for as long as you can.
  • Move the ball through a maze without touching the edges.

.......... That's all I got.

Now, let's compare a few othe products.
  • Smart Hockey Ball: $10 USD
  • Golf Ball: $4 USD (2 pk)
  • Tennis Ball: $4 USD (3 pk)
  • Sheet of HDPE (2ftx4ft) and 10 hockey pucks: $35 USD
  • Open Hockey: $8 USD a person.

The price is directly targeting parents with a large incomes that don't know how to say "No." to their children.

Burlington Bomb 26 08-26-2009 04:42 PM

Just by a weighted ball, and a golf ball and switch every 5 minutes. Instead of wasting your money on that crap.

TMac21 08-26-2009 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IniNew (Post 20888001)
I'd like to brainstorm what other "content" they could update this program with.

Hardware: It's a ball, with a motion sensor. The movements are shown on the screen.

Default Program: You move the ball to take out targets on the screen in a timed fashion resulting in points.
  • Updates could include:
  • Avoiding an object for as long as you can.
  • Avoid moving objects for as long as you can.
  • Move the ball through a maze without touching the edges.

.......... That's all I got.

Now, let's compare a few othe products.
  • Smart Hockey Ball: $10 USD
  • Golf Ball: $4 USD (2 pk)
  • Tennis Ball: $4 USD (3 pk)
  • Sheet of HDPE (2ftx4ft) and 10 hockey pucks: $35 USD
  • Open Hockey: $8 USD a person.

The price is directly targeting parents with a large incomes that don't know how to say "No." to their children.

I think pretty much any stickhandling drill coaches can put together, such as pylons, in and outs, toe drags, etc could be put into this game - so variety could be possible.

Another reason I feel this has a chance is that kids don't play street hockey or nail slap shots against a garage like they used to. They'd rather be on the internet or playing video games. This looks to be a computerized version of stickhandling that could be fun for kids.

JayK47 08-26-2009 06:52 PM

It is an interesting tool but not for $200 or $300!!! I'll think about it if it was under $50. it'll be pretty cool if Nintendo Wii developes a game something like that.

Torgo 08-26-2009 09:48 PM

If you have basement space, and a concrete floor, just use a hard plastic ball and set up a chair or two and stick handle through it.

I'm certainly not a great hockey player, but my stickhandling improved from doing that.

NigelSPNKr 08-26-2009 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoThreat (Post 20892278)
If you have basement space, and a concrete floor, just use a hard plastic ball and set up a chair or two and stick handle through it.

I'm certainly not a great hockey player, but my stickhandling improved from doing that.

I used to just drop a bunch of controls randomly on the carpet (TV, VCR etc) and just handle a golf ball in between them. Changing up the sequence every now and again.

noobman 08-27-2009 11:30 AM

You could become a masterful stickhandler working in a closet. I've been following a program by Coach Chic and I've improved by leaps and bounds.

It's a cheap, simple, and effective method. As long as you have a tennis ball, a Swedish ball (or golf ball) and a balloon you're good to go!

I do most of my stickhandling in my garage. I'll usually set up two chairs (if I want to practice going through and around defenders) or two garbage bins (if I want to practice going around and in between defenders) and stickhandle. A lot of the times I'll just leave them aside and go free-form, too.

frito 08-27-2009 01:10 PM

I'm with some of the others. $50 or less, maybe. $200 - $300, I'll be playing ice hockey on the river Styx before I'd buy it.

TMac21 08-27-2009 01:43 PM

Think about it though - do kids actually do that stuff anymore? (stickhandling in the garage, using chairs, etc). Not really, that stuff gets boring in no time.

Kids need stimulation and fun, I'd say this tool could provide it, looks like a neat invention.

It Kills Me 08-27-2009 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMac21 (Post 20898270)
Think about it though - do kids actually do that stuff anymore? (stickhandling in the garage, using chairs, etc). Not really, that stuff gets boring in no time.

Kids need stimulation and fun, I'd say this tool could provide it, looks like a neat invention.

Stickhandling is one thing every hockey players loves to practice.

Getting them to work on stop-gos, etc. is hard.

TMac21 08-27-2009 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by It Kills Me (Post 20898328)
Stickhandling is one thing every hockey players loves to practice.

Getting them to work on stop-gos, etc. is hard.

If that's the case, this looks like it helps them keep their head up at all times while practicing, unlike home made drills.