HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Playoff Lines (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=67561)

habitants9_4 04-03-2004 08:24 PM

Playoff Lines

What do you think the playoff lines should be....Jan Bulis and Mike Komisarek will become big factors in the playoffs....wishful thinking. Anyway, here is what i want to see:
Bulis Koivu Zednik
Dagenais Ribeiro Ryder
Begin Perreault Kovalev
Juneau/Sundstrom Dowd Ward
(I want to put Sundstrom in, but Juneau is a great defensive guy in the playoffs)
Souray Quintal
Markov Rivet
Bouillon Briesbois
Theodore
(Komisarek goes in if we lose, for the worse player of the night except souray and markov)

I am really interested in knowing what you guys think will be the line-up...

Zednik 04-03-2004 08:36 PM

nah, Perreault won't play. I agree with your top-6 though.

Mooch 04-03-2004 08:38 PM

Bulis, Koivu, Zednik
Ryder, Ribs, Kovalev
Begin, Dowd, Sunny
Langdon, Juneau, Ward

Dackel, Perreault, Dagenais- Spare parts

habitants9_4 04-03-2004 08:41 PM

I changed my mind:
Bulis Koivu Zednik
Dagenais Ribeiro Ryder
Ward Begin Kovalev
Juneau Dowd Sundstrom
Souray Quintal
Markov Rivet
Bouillon Komisarek
Theodore

Mooch 04-03-2004 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habitants9_4
I changed my mind:
Bulis Koivu Zednik
Dagenais Ribeiro Ryder
Ward Begin Kovalev
Juneau Dowd Sundstrom
Souray Quintal
Markov Rivet
Bouillon Komisarek
Theodore

Only problem with your line-up, is that Ward is a right winger not left.
Also Dagenais being there is a BIG problem.

fredez 04-03-2004 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mooch
Only problem with your line-up, is that Ward is a right winger not left.
Also Dagenais being there is a BIG problem.

I think Dagenais garranteed his place in the line-up tonight and will start the playoffs so...here's the line-up I would like to see

Trios
Bulis-Koivu-Zednik
Dagenais-Ribeiro-Ryder
Begin-Juneau*-Kovalev (it was Kovalev best night so let that line stay like it is)
Langdon**-Dowd-Ward

*Perreault as backup if Juneau's back hurt
**Sundstrom/Dackell as backups if Langdon's not needed

Duos
Souray-Quintal*
Markov-Rivet
Bouillon-Brisebois

*Put Komisarek from time to time

Mooch 04-03-2004 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredez
I think Dagenais garranteed his place in the line-up tonight and will start the playoffs so...here's the line-up I would like to see

Trios
Bulis-Koivu-Zednik
Dagenais-Ribeiro-Ryder
Begin-Juneau*-Kovalev (it was Kovalev best night so let that line stay like it is)
Langdon**-Dowd-Ward

*Perreault as backup if Juneau's back hurt
**Sundstrom/Dackell as backups if Langdon's not needed

Duos
Souray-Quintal*
Markov-Rivet
Bouillon-Brisebois

*Put Komisarek from time to time

YA seems to me CJ loves Juneau and Dagenais, so i guess there in.

Ontario Habsfan 04-03-2004 09:40 PM

I think Dagenais earned a spot after scoring 2 goals and having 3 other great chances. Langdon will definately be in the line-up for game 1 of the playoffs. Both Toronto and Boston are dirty teams and you need his policeman presence. I also see Kovalev in the line up.

The top 2 lines
Kovalev Koivu Zednik - The talent is there...Kovy can break out
Dagenais Ribeiro Ryder - Buffalo game tells me these 3 must be together

I tried putting in the bottom 2 lines to my liking but I couldn't agree with myself. Needing Langdon in the line-up takes up a spot.

Begin, Ward, Juneau, Sundstrom, Bulis, and Dowd all deserve in. Then there's Perrault and Dackell, but I see them sitting. Plus Langdon.

If we leave Langdon out the bottom 2 lines can go:
Bulis Begin Ward - Pesky gritty line with Bulis' speed & skill to boot
Juneau Dowd Sundstrom - Checking line with 2 centres.

Mooch 04-03-2004 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ontario Habsfan
I think Dagenais earned a spot after scoring 2 goals and having 3 other great chances. Langdon will definately be in the line-up for game 1 of the playoffs. Both Toronto and Boston are dirty teams and you need his policeman presence. I also see Kovalev in the line up.

The top 2 lines
Kovalev Koivu Zednik - The talent is there...Kovy can break out
Dagenais Ribeiro Ryder - Buffalo game tells me these 3 must be together

Well i dont think there is anyone who doesnt. Even CJ. He was aquired for the playoffs.

As for what line Kovalev plays on. Until today i also kept saying he should be on the first, but now i have changed my mind. I think he should be on the second. This way the "extra coverage" Ribs gets in the playoffs will be reduced and rubbed off on ryder and kovalev. This will give Ribs, a very young and inexperienced payer room to creat scoring chances.

As for the first line than i think it should be Bulis, Koivu, Zednik. They looked very good tonight. However there is still that CJ and Dagenais love affair so what ever i just said is probably just mumbo-jumbo.

Vicious 04-03-2004 09:51 PM

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev
Dagenais*-Ribeiro-Ryder
Bulis-Dowd-Begin
Ward-Juneau-Langdon/Sundstrom

* Dagenais to be replaced by Bulis as soon as he stops producing.. as in the second playoff game or so.

Ontario Habsfan 04-03-2004 09:53 PM

Quote:

As for what line Kovalev plays on. Until today i also kept saying he should be on the first, but now i have changed my mind. I think he should be on the second. This way the "extra coverage" Ribs gets in the playoffs will be reduced and rubbed off on ryder and kovalev. This will give Ribs, a very young and inexperienced payer room to creat scoring chances.

I disagree with you there my friend :)

I don't think teams will cover Kovalev very hard at all. Look at his poor stats this season. I think Dagenais is better suited to give space to Ribeiro. His size and the physical play he does have will help. I also see Dagenais being better and more eager to do things like running picks. I think Kovalev needs the free space and the skillful linemates that are on the Koivu line. Kovalev won't be shadowed on that line because Koivu and Zednik will be the prime targets. Just my humble opinion

Mooch 04-03-2004 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicious
Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev
Dagenais*-Ribeiro-Ryder
Bulis-Dowd-Begin
Ward-Juneau-Langdon/Sundstrom

* Dagenais to be replaced by Bulis as soon as he stops producing.. as in the second playoff game or so.

I think Kovalev should be on the second. This way the "extra coverage" Ribs gets in the playoffs will be reduced and rubbed off on ryder and kovalev. This will give Ribs, a very young and inexperienced payer room to create scoring chances. Remember he has struggled a bit in the second half because of this extra coverage.

Vicious 04-03-2004 09:59 PM

Quote:

I think Kovalev should be on the second. This way the "extra coverage" Ribs gets in the playoffs will be reduced and rubbed off on ryder and kovalev. This will give Ribs, a very young and inexperienced payer room to create scoring chances. Remember he has struggled a bit in the second half because of this extra coverage.

I agree.. but I was going with logic for now. Because CJ won't remove Dagenais from the second line after the two-goal game he had. Once he's removed, we can go back to:

Bulis-Koivu-Zed
Ryder-Ribs-Kovy

Mooch 04-03-2004 10:06 PM

Quote:

I don't think teams will cover Kovalev very hard at all. Look at his poor stats this season. I think Dagenais is better suited to give space to Ribeiro. His size and the physical play he does have will help. I also see Dagenais being better and more eager to do things like running picks. I think Kovalev needs the free space and the skillful linemates that are on the Koivu line. Kovalev won't be shadowed on that line because Koivu and Zednik will be the prime targets. Just my humble opinion

I really dont know, but i still think Kovalev will get that extra coverage because for this simple fact that he has produced in the playoffs before. Im sure coaches will tell their teams to cover him. Kovalev has skill and has proven him self for many years, and other teams know and coaches know this.

I guess we have two different opinons, ehh :joker:

Boardish 04-03-2004 10:15 PM

Kovalev MUST be on one of the two top lines. He won't really be dangerous if he's playing with Juneau. I would like to see him switching with Bulis, who is nice on the 3rd line. Bulis got speed... but can't finish. Kovalev has create a couple of chances tonight but on a 3rd line... no thanks, it's stupid.

Howie Morenz 04-03-2004 10:26 PM

Quote:

I don't see how you can put the words Dagenais and physical play in the same sentence. :shakehead

ChemiseBleuHonnete 04-03-2004 10:29 PM

Quote:

Bulis, Koivu, Zednik
Ryder, Ribs, Kovalev
Begin, Dowd, Sunny
Langdon, Juneau, Ward

Dackel, Perreault, Dagenais- Spare parts

the best line combo imo. If it was me I'd switch Kovy and Zednik but it's about all the same.

Traitor8 04-03-2004 10:32 PM

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev
Dagenais-Ribeiro-Ryder
Bulis-Dowd-Sundstrom
Langdon-Begin-Ward
I want Yannick in for his faceoff ability but I can't find a place for him unless Dagenais stops performing.

Souray-Quintal
Markov-Rivet
Bouillon-Brisebois

Theodore
Theodore
Theodore
Theodore

Ontario Habsfan 04-03-2004 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Howie Morenz
I don't see how you can put the words Dagenais and physical play in the same sentence. :shakehead

Yeah, I know he's not exactly the Power Forward. But, he's big and his size can cause some problems for the opposition. I should have added "somewhat limited" to my earlier post. My *hope* for Dagenais is that he becomes a young John Leclair. I'm not talking 50 goals but a big guy with decent hands.

Boardish 04-03-2004 10:36 PM

Well... Dagenais don't even use his size. He did it the 2 last games but that's all.

Mooch 04-03-2004 10:37 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I know he's not exactly the Power Forward. But, he's big and his size can cause some problems for the opposition. I should have added "somewhat limited" to my earlier post. My *hope* for Dagenais is that he becomes a young John Leclair. I'm not talking 50 goals but a big guy with decent hands.

I think everybody hopes that, but i dont think it is gona happen. He is already 26 years old, and hasent improved much all season in terms of speed and consistency. He will be 27 next season!

Not much hope for him. IMO what you see is what you get.

Guy Caballero 04-03-2004 10:40 PM

Kovalev-Koivu-Zednik
Dagenais-Ribeiro-Ryder
Bulis-Dowd-Begin
Sundstrom-Juneau-Ward

If Dags really sucks, we can put Perreault there. That gives us two dangerous scoring lines, a workhorse line that has the speed and agressiveness to give other top lines fits, and another checking line that can be used sparingly and whose players will be fresh in penalty-killing situations.

I really like these combos, and I think we'll see something along these lines when Julien tries to match up against the Leafs' or Bruins' scoring units. This Kovalev on line three business won't last, especially since he looks to be heating up.

Ontario Habsfan 04-03-2004 10:42 PM

Quote:

I think everybody hopes that, but i dont think it is gona happen. He is already 26 years old, and hasent improved much all season in terms of speed and consistency. He will be 27 next season!

Not much hope for him. IMO what you see is what you get.

Agreed. But we can always hope, can't we??

I think this season will be a microcosm of his career. He cracks the line up when he's hot, but sits when he's not. The only place I see him playing 82 games is on a team like Pittsburgh or Carolina.

I just hope he can get something going for the playoffs.

jcpenny 04-03-2004 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
Kovalev-Koivu-Zednik
Dagenais-Ribeiro-Ryder
Bulis-Dowd-Begin
Sundstrom-Juneau-Ward

If Dags really sucks, we can put Perreault there. That gives us two dangerous scoring lines, a workhorse line that has the speed and agressiveness to give other top lines fits, and another checking line that can be used sparingly and whose players will be fresh in penalty-killing situations.

I really like these combos, and I think we'll see something along these lines when Julien tries to match up against the Leafs' or Bruins' scoring units. This Kovalev on line three business won't last, especially since he looks to be heating up.

I think i rather have Dagenais than Perreault on the second, cuz hes a Bigger obstacle :joker: .But it would be better if Dagenais wouldnt be there but i guess we cant take him out after a 2 goal game. Kovalev must play with Koivu and Zed. Im sure this will be the topic this week in the media. I dont think we got him to play with juneau, BG must have a little talk with his coach....

Guy Caballero 04-03-2004 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boardish
Well... Dagenais don't even use his size. He did it the 2 last games but that's all.

That's not true. He's used his size sporadically all season, both along the boards and to establish slot presence. He just doesn't do it consistently.

Dags is not my favourite player in the world, but this blind hatred of him makes no sense either. He is an asset, albeit a very limited one. The challenge is to get as much as you can out of him without letting his deficiencies hurt you. Julien has managed to do that all season with this guy. Once we have a body to replace him, we will, but for now he's the best option we've got for line two, so let's stop moaning about it. Hopefully Perez or Higgins will be able to replace him next year.