HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Columbus Blue Jackets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Pelotonia Yesterday- Nash a class act (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=676441)

inthemix 08-30-2009 10:05 AM

Pelotonia Yesterday- Nash a class act
 
Was riding yesterday, about half way though around mile 48 or so and guess who happened to roll up beside me- Rick Nash! It made my day.

Didn't want to bother him too much, but made it a point to tell him to have a great time up North with team Canada. Seemed like a really nice guy, very respectful and approachable...a far cry from Lance Armstrong. Lance bolted to the front of the pack and didnít stop, took off in a black Lincoln navigator as soon as he finished.

Anyway, I am ecstatic we have Rick locked up for years to come- he is a perfect example of a superb athlete with a heart and care for his community. Props to Shelley and Umberger for riding yesterday to!

BluejacketNut 08-30-2009 10:57 AM

Glad to see he made it. I work at Netjets and knew he was going to be riding, but wasnt sure if he'd make it or not with the orientation for Team Canada.

Viqsi 08-30-2009 11:08 AM

I didn't actually get to see the event, but my father was riding in it as part of the team affiliated with Nationwide Children's Hospital. (Mom would've as well, but couldn't afford the entrance fee, so she just donated to Dad's ride IIRC). He, alas, didn't get to see any of 'em, but he said he enjoyed the experience all the same. :)

Just another reason to love this place, I guess. :)

RBarRegular 08-30-2009 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viqsi (Post 20927961)
I didn't actually get to see the event, but my father was riding in it as part of the team affiliated with Nationwide Children's Hospital. (Mom would've as well, but couldn't afford the entrance fee, so she just donated to Dad's ride IIRC). He, alas, didn't get to see any of 'em, but he said he enjoyed the experience all the same. :)

Just another reason to love this place, I guess. :)

Cbus = my favorite city on the planet.

Jovavic 08-30-2009 04:33 PM

I take it these are bicycles and not motorcycles?

Viqsi 08-30-2009 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oz (Post 20930526)
I take it these are bicycles and not motorcycles?

Yep.
http://www.pelotonia.org/ if you're curious.

Casework 08-30-2009 04:52 PM

Jody Shelley and RJ Umberger also rode yesterday, I heard.

Nash is a great guy. In all honesty, I was never a huge Nash fan until I had the chance to talk to him a couple times. That alone made him one of my favorite players.

Mellington 08-30-2009 08:39 PM

So did Howson and Agnew

hashmarks 08-30-2009 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mellington (Post 20932605)
So did Howson and Agnew

It was Mrs. Agnew...you sure about a Howson doing it?

CBJNut 08-30-2009 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casework (Post 20930708)
Jody Shelley and RJ Umberger also rode yesterday, I heard.


They did. A good friend of mine and her son were at the end in Athens and spoke for a while with RJ.

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._3549550_n.jpg

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._7275753_n.jpg

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._2514588_n.jpg

Socks 08-30-2009 09:57 PM

This sounds like it was a great event and many props to the guys for participating!

Mellington 08-30-2009 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hashmarks (Post 20932980)
It was Mrs. Agnew...you sure about a Howson doing it?


Sorry It was the Wives someone on twitter posted it I read it wrong the first time

Happy Pony 08-30-2009 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mellington (Post 20933223)
Sorry It was the Wives someone on twitter posted it I read it wrong the first time

Howsons son also participated. Seems like a good kid.

hashmarks 08-31-2009 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mellington (Post 20933223)
Sorry It was the Wives someone on twitter posted it I read it wrong the first time

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron Mike (Post 20934163)
Howsons son also participated. Seems like a good kid.

Yeah, was pretty sure it wasn't Mrs. Howson. Knew it was Mrs. Agnew though.

pete goegan 08-31-2009 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hashmarks (Post 20935103)
Yeah, was pretty sure it wasn't Mrs. Howson. Knew it was Mrs. Agnew though.

For one, according to a recent article, she doesn't go by Mrs. Howson.

plong123 08-31-2009 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inthemix (Post 20927600)
WLance Armstrong... bolted to the front of the pack and didnít stop, took off in a black Lincoln navigator as soon as he finished.

Isn't that what you want to see from the fastest bike racer the planet has ever known? The back of his jersey for about a minute and then your jaw on the ground? In case you didn't know, Lance is kind of an Alpha-type. I'm sure lots of local club riders were like "I'm gonna push the king". Well, I'm sure the king laughed, then found another gear. That's what the crowd wanted to see, I assure you that.

Skraut 08-31-2009 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plong123 (Post 20935475)
Isn't that what you want to see from the fastest bike racer the planet has ever known? The back of his jersey for about a minute and then your jaw on the ground? In case you didn't know, Lance is kind of an Alpha-type. I'm sure lots of local club riders were like "I'm gonna push the king". Well, I'm sure the king laughed, then found another gear. That's what the crowd wanted to see, I assure you that.

Yeah, I met Lance once and have thought he was a ****** ever since, however this is just smart on his part.

He doesn't need some yokel pedaling as fast as possible next to him going "Weee I'm as fast as Lance Armstrong!" before loosing control and plowing into him. That's not exactly good for the career. I'm actually surprised so many celebs participated in this for that exact reason, the Peleton isn't exactly the safest place in the world when it is made up of pro riders, let alone everyday cyclists.

LaCosta Nostra 08-31-2009 08:33 AM

Did Shelley actually ride? On his pledge page, his was marked as a "virtual rider" in Pelotonia, while Nash and RJ were indicated as a rider. Thought maybe he was out on the west coast and couldn't make it to the ride, but wanted to help out all he could.

hashmarks 08-31-2009 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete goegan (Post 20935452)
For one, according to a recent article, she doesn't go by Mrs. Howson.

True dat.

RickS 08-31-2009 10:18 AM

Antoinette Mangilo (Howson's wife) was supposed to ride, as was her son. Don't know if they made it or not.

PCH 08-31-2009 10:43 AM

that's AWESOME. if I had a bike/wasn't running in the spirit of columbus half marathon sunday, I would've wanted to rock out with Lance!

LetsGOJackets!! 09-01-2009 08:46 PM

Thanks for all this info...
 
truly a great event, and is great to see that the Blue Jackets were representing...

Camerican 09-01-2009 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete goegan (Post 20935452)
For one, according to a recent article, she doesn't go by Mrs. Howson.

This is true. I was at King's Island (an amusement park in Ohio) one day and I was walking around the park while wearing my Queen's University sweatshirt (Queen's is a university in Ontario for you Americans who don't know). Some woman sitting on a bench started yelling out at me to try to get my attention, so I stopped to talk to her. She said she was an alumni of Queen's, and we talked for a little bit. She saw that I was wearing a Toronto Maple Leafs t-shirt under, and she mentioned that her husband was the GM of the Columbus Blue Jackets. Her friend that was sitting next to her then told me her name, and I remember that it was not Howson. We talked for a little bit about how she liked living in Columbus after being in Canada. Overall, she was a very nice, likable person.

CBJSprague24 09-01-2009 09:46 PM

CBJ video feature with Nasher & RJ.

http://bluejackets.nhl.tv/team/conso...d=701&id=45805


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.