HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   How many here play without a helmet ? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=676964)

Dave is a killer 09-01-2009 12:53 PM

How many here play without a helmet ?

The title says it all

cptjeff 09-01-2009 01:02 PM

In what? Any rink is going to require a helmet for any hockey related activity. Pretty much the only time you could do it would be pond hockey.

So no, I don't play without a helmet.

By the way, you're location is at a nightclub? "King of Clubs" at 901 Cowen St?

Hockeyfan68 09-01-2009 01:15 PM

I wear a helmet indoors and always will because things happen quickly playing an organized hockey game.

Outdoors, I play often by the way on ponds and outdoor rinks .... I do NOT wear a helmet because of the weather. It is just simply too cold to wear one.

I wear a winter hat and often I wear my Joker winter hat which gets giggles with my being 41 years old lmao.

Nigelbilt 09-01-2009 01:16 PM

^^^ This two posts say it all ^^^

I dont wear one in pond hockey. I dont wear any eq in pond besides gloves, stick and skates.

Pog Form 09-01-2009 01:20 PM

The only time I don't wear a helmet on the ice is if I'm pleasure skating, which isn't often.

In most places where hockey is played here, a helmet is mandatory (obviously), but I still choose to wear one out on the pond even in freezing cold weather. I'd rather have cold ears than a busted open head or concussion. I know that there is minimal risk, but anything can happen out there, y'know? Better to be safe than sorry.

Pog Form 09-01-2009 01:23 PM

Kind of a fib, actually. If it's unbearably cold, I'll rock a toque instead but I try to wear the helmet if at all possible.

Hockeyfan68 09-01-2009 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadaBacon (Post 20949475)
^^^ This two posts say it all ^^^

I dont wear one in pond hockey. I dont wear any eq in pond besides gloves, stick and skates.

When I play pond hockey I wear what keeps me warm (layers) and just use a stick, skates and gloves. rarely does anyone play hard enough to wipe out playing pickup pond hockey to begin with.

I am sure there are exceptions but mainly kids and people who do not play well play and experieinced players can keep up easily and read the plays before mishaps happen.

I think the biggest problem with pond hockey are shin whackers.

here is my outdoor getup.

Just look at that sexy hat!

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...9fec05d4ee.jpg

Ryan52 09-01-2009 01:30 PM

when im outdoors, no bucket
when im indoors, of course

eric71* 09-01-2009 01:54 PM

I always wear my helmet. My teachers at school always remind me to keep it on.

densetsu 09-01-2009 02:06 PM

For competitive hockey, yes. Rinks require you to wear one, the only time I don't wear certified headgear is when I take my goalie mask off for post-game handshakes. These days even coaches are required to wear helmets in Alberta. I find it to be an overreaction to one single event, but oh well.

For outdoor shinny, pleasure skating, etc I don't wear one. Heck, for outdoor shinny I usually only wear jeans and a t-shirt or jersey, even in -25C weather, because I sweat like crazy and a jacket or layered clothing traps that sweat and I overheat.

If I had a chance to I'd wear an old-school mask (like this) for warmups; maybe it'll be a Christmas present to myself one day.;)

Mithrandir 09-01-2009 10:43 PM

Playing college, obviously I wear a helmet. In practice when we're done skating, if a few of us stay on and shoot around I'll toss the lid on the bench and usually take off my jersey and upper equipment. Pong hockey it's just skates, stick and gloves.

Steelhead16 09-01-2009 11:02 PM

One rink I have to. Another one I don't. The pick up group that I play with and don't wear one everyone has played for 30+ years and most have made money playing. They all know how to play and know what they are doing. In 20 years playing with them I have gotten 10 stitches. After I finished playing competitive hockey I tried an advanced adult league and had to wear a helmet. In 2 years I got 40 stitches 2 broken cheekbones, a broken nose and a fractured orbital bone. The helmet hasn't made as much difference as the people I played with and me not putting myself in stupid positions. I also had teeth knocked out wearing a full cage because I wasn't wearing a mouthguard.

Nigelbilt 09-01-2009 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steelhead16 (Post 20955082)
One rink I have to. Another one I don't. The pick up group that I play with and don't wear one everyone has played for 30+ years and most have made money playing. They all know how to play and know what they are doing. In 20 years playing with them I have gotten 10 stitches. After I finished playing competitive hockey I tried an advanced adult league and had to wear a helmet. In 2 years I got 40 stitches 2 broken cheekbones, a broken nose and a fractured orbital bone. The helmet hasn't made as much difference as the people I played with and me not putting myself in stupid positions. I also had teeth knocked out wearing a full cage because I wasn't wearing a mouthguard.

Im suprised the rink lets you not wear a helmet. wow.

Hockeyfan68 09-02-2009 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadaBacon (Post 20955105)
Im suprised the rink lets you not wear a helmet. wow.

I know .... cripes wtf is up wit dat.

I even have a couple of rinks where you cannot play if you have no visor.

Nigelbilt 09-02-2009 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 (Post 20956037)
I know .... cripes wtf is up wit dat.

I even have a couple of rinks where you cannot play if you have no visor.

I couple rinks tell you (for shinny) that a cage is mandatory in my area, no one ever listens and they never say anything. I was told once i should have atleast a visor on, but nothing ever came to it. I dont wear my teeth when i play so once they saw me smile they probably just said "this guys a head case anyway." ;)

JustinW 09-02-2009 05:37 AM

Indoor always, but never for street hockey.

vivianmb 09-02-2009 09:42 PM

i wear a helmet when i play games. when i'm skating at the park i wear a toque.