HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Speculation: Stalberg Prediction (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=677042)

EzraCurrier 09-01-2009 05:48 PM

Stalberg Prediction

Its pretty interesting looking at the Leafs current farm system as far as offensive minded forwards are concerned and I'm pretty convinced that there is the potential for some forwards other than the obvious (tlusty, bozak, kulemin) to step up in a big way this year. I think the most interesting player that could step up this year is Viktor Stalberg, I dont necessarily think he will score the most points of all the younger players, but after watching some of his videos and reading some prospect reports he seems like really rare player. He has incredible speed and hes a huge guy. Also when you see the goals he scores they are absolute snipes. I could definitely see him playing on the top 2 lines if he makes the team, if he could get some chemistry with grobvski and say Kulemin that could be a very dangerous line. Does anyone have any videos on him that I may not have seen? Also who do you think will be a breakout player this year?

MLHS Joe C 09-01-2009 05:50 PM

Not that I don't like Stalberg, but you are aware that the shots he fires in youtube videos are the best shots he's fired, right? Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

russmatuss 09-01-2009 06:09 PM

Unless he pulls a Mitchell and impresses severely in camp, then I don't think he'll be on the Leafs. Hell, even if he does, I doubt he beats out Stajan, Blake, Stemp, Hagman etc. and makes it onto the top 6, and Burke won't want him on the bottom 6.

Delayed Offside 09-01-2009 06:11 PM

he's my guy for this season (hence the av which i've had for a while)... no idea how well he will do but i'm looking forward to him...

EzraCurrier 09-01-2009 06:14 PM

"Not that I don't like Stalberg, but you are aware that the shots he fires in youtube videos are the best shots he's fired, right? Let's not get ahead of ourselves."

Well hes got ALOT of good shots, so that would imply hes a good goal scorer, he also had very impressive stats in College hockey posting more than a point a game, hes not a player that is going to get pushed around either, hes around 6'3 220-230

TruthDeliveryVehicle* 09-01-2009 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EzraCurrier (Post 20952591)
hes around 6'3 220-230

uhh..215lbs heaviest I've seen him listed at. let's not get carried away.

EzraCurrier 09-01-2009 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher Lee (Post 20952618)
uhh..215lbs heaviest I've seen him listed at. let's not get carried away.

My bad I meant 210-220. Still a really big guy for the set of wheels he has on him, he kind of reminds me of johan Franzen, just not the crazy dekes, same of kind of shot and skating speed.

StarBurns RIP 09-01-2009 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonasFrogren (Post 20952376)
Not that I don't like Stalberg, but you are aware that the shots he fires in youtube videos are the best shots he's fired, right? Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

I have to agree. I believe he may be perhaps the Leafs' safest prospect with the size and NHL level skating but he hardly snipes from what I've seen of him. His shooting ability looks to be average at best. I didn't see any standout puck skills although he's not bad. I believe to score consistently at the NHL level he's going to need to stick his nose into the danger areas on the ice. That's a tough life and few players are up to that task. We'll see. This prospect is a favourite of mine. It's personally gratifying to have surmised that he was the best prospect in NCAA while the majority thought that player was either Ruegsegger or Rau.

SteveV* 09-01-2009 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonasFrogren (Post 20952376)

You mean youtube videos generally show a player's better moments? Wow, what a revelation.

You could say that about anybody.

I think Stalberg is the sleeper in this year's camp.

Number13 09-01-2009 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russmatuss (Post 20952560)
Unless he pulls a Mitchell and impresses severely in camp, then I don't think he'll be on the Leafs. Hell, even if he does, I doubt he beats out Stajan, Blake, Stemp, Hagman etc. and makes it onto the top 6, and Burke won't want him on the bottom 6.

His coach at Vermont, or a scout, i forget which, had been quoted that if he doesn't crack the team in a scoring role he can easily fit in the lineup in a bottom six role. That's part of what makes him such a great prospect, is that he can play on any line and be an effective player. This will greatly increase his chance of making Big Blue this year.

The Big Swede 09-01-2009 06:41 PM

No chance

Peace Frog 09-01-2009 06:42 PM

If Stalberg uses his size a little more, I think he could be a real standout for the Leafs. I wouldn't count him out for making the Leafs out of camp, but it's going to be fierce competition. Still, I'm really looking forward to seeing him and the other young guns this pre-season. Should be fun to watch.

Leaf Rocket 09-01-2009 06:42 PM

Im not sure how he will fit into this the camp really..

stoney 09-01-2009 06:48 PM

20 games in he will be on the team. Seems like its up to him to have the effort.

EzraCurrier 09-01-2009 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeafsInSeven (Post 20952664)
I have to agree. I believe he may be perhaps the Leafs' safest prospect with the size and NHL level skating but he hardly snipes from what I've seen of him. His shooting ability looks to be average at best. I didn't see any standout puck skills although he's not bad. I believe to score consistently at the NHL level he's going to need to stick his nose into the danger areas on the ice. That's a tough life and few players are up to that task. We'll see. This prospect is a favourite of mine. It's personally gratifying to have surmised that he was the best prospect in NCAA while the majority thought that player was either Ruegsegger or Rau.

Well what have you seen of him? Even in his Hobey Baker nomination video, he potted some pretty damn nice goals. He seems to know what areas to get himself into and his skating is explosive, he also seems to use his shot, its one thing to have a great shot (Kaberle) its another thing to use it (Ovechkin) We need a guy who can be a little selfish and try and pot some goals, everyone on our team seems to be a passer or not have enough confidence to drive the net. I see him as a powerforward who could pot 25-30 goals if his skillset pans out.

MickKaine 09-01-2009 06:56 PM

It really seems to me that Stalberg will start the season with the Marlies and will have a handful of tryout NHL matches throughout the season but to expect him to explode out of the gate and make the big club, especially in such a big role is very wishful thinking.

Madic 09-01-2009 06:58 PM

Stalberg is not a sniper, that's for sure. Think Poni, think Mitchell: a decent hard shot at times, but nothing to write home about. He scored his goals with Vermont in 2 different ways last year (generally):

1) Firing a ton of shots on net. Some games he'd hit 10 shots on net, he quite simply loves to shoot and has the tools to put him in a good position to do so (size+speed+drive). Hard work goals.

2) Off the rush. His speed makes him a good off-the-rush shooter, and he scored a fair few this way. Breakaways were common as well.

Point being, anyone who thinks he's a score-or-bust prospect is waaaay off. He'll make the NHL (whether its out of camp with us or 5 years down the line with another team) as a grinder if he doesn't make it as a secondary -- or tertiary -- point producer.

Personally, having watched him for the better part of two years, I think he'll make a solid pro producer, a good mix of setup man and hard work scorer...and if I had to put a number on it, which I hate doing prematurely...I'd say he could be a 50-point guy in the NHL, under decent circumstances.

Around in 67 09-01-2009 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Big Swede (Post 20952783)
No chance

what insight...

SteveV* 09-01-2009 07:34 PM

[QUOTE=Madic;20952908]Stalberg is not a sniper, that's for sure.

Hockey prospects has it wrong I guess:

"A natural sniper with a fine scoring touch."

How can anyone say "that's for sure" at this point?

Around in 67 09-01-2009 07:36 PM

[QUOTE=SteveV;20953216]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Madic (Post 20952908)
Stalberg is not a sniper, that's for sure.

Hockey prospects has it wrong I guess:

"A natural sniper with a fine scoring touch."

How can anyone say "that's for sure" at this point?

people like to pretend they know more than they do around here. that's how.

Cheli 09-01-2009 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madic (Post 20952908)
1) Firing a ton of shots on net. Some games he'd hit 10 shots on net, he quite simply loves to shoot

But is he closer to Blake or Ovechkin? :sarcasm:

Anyway, here's a collection of some stuff I put together a little while back:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=668985

A lot of it is quoting Madic who has seen him play quite a bit in the NCAA. I did forget his HF profile though. It's a bit outdated (which is unfortunate considering his great year), but quite a few HF profiles are.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/viktor_stalberg

MLHS Joe C 09-01-2009 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveV (Post 20952764)
You mean youtube videos generally show a player's better moments? Wow, what a revelation.

You could say that about anybody.

I think Stalberg is the sleeper in this year's camp.

I'm not sure what your point is. You just reiterated what my point was. Youtube videos are never a good gauge of skill, no matter the player.

ugotmybeef* 09-01-2009 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russmatuss (Post 20952560)

why not? He plays on both sides of the puck. Heck, Bozak is a good face-off man and defensive player. Considering the talent on this team, they're not too hard to beat out.

russmatuss 09-01-2009 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ugotmybeef (Post 20953869)
why not? He plays on both sides of the puck. Heck, Bozak is a good face-off man and defensive player. Considering the talent on this team, they're not too hard to beat out.

Why can't he beat out other potentoal top 6 forwards? or why can't he play bottom 6?

ugotmybeef* 09-01-2009 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russmatuss (Post 20953943)
Why can't he beat out other potentoal top 6 forwards? or why can't he play bottom 6?

why he can't play in the bottom 6?