HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Do rec-league goalies pay to play? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=677324)

TheOtter 09-02-2009 05:16 PM

Do rec-league goalies pay to play?

Pretty simple question, but I'm wondering if it's universal, very common, or a mixed bag. If you play in an adult, recreational league, do goalies pay anything to play on your team? Is that a league decision or up to the team/captain?

I play in two leagues. I believe goalies play for free in one, and our team captain charges our goalie 50% in the other. I always thought it was more common not to charge goalies anything, since you kind of need them more than anyone else.

Thanks!

cptjeff 09-02-2009 05:25 PM

Where I live, leagues half price, pickups free.

blueberrydanish 09-02-2009 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cptjeff (Post 20962845)
Where I live, leagues half price, pickups free.

Almost the same here, they dont get half price but they get a nice discount, and open games are always free.

densetsu 09-02-2009 05:50 PM

In the past I've paid 50% or less for league fees, usually free. Anything outside of league fees, like jerseys, I've had to buy on my own. I usually bring beer a few extra times because I kinda feel guilty not paying the same fees my teammates do.

This is the first year that I'll be paying 100% of the fees, mostly because I know the team is hard-up and I've played with them for a few seasons and know the guys. If I were to start on a new team, I'd be hesitant to pay 50%, let alone 100%.

Subbing in, shinny, drop-in, etc. is always free for goalies.

Now, why should it be discounted or free? People usually say "because your gear costs more", but you already nailed it... because they need us. If we can't play and they can't find a sub, then there's no game. Last season I played with a stomach flu when they couldn't find a sub... I was already pretty nauseous and the physical exertion made it ten times worse. I now have a lot of respect for times I hear NHL players playing while sick.

Hockeyfan68 09-02-2009 05:54 PM

Goalies pay here in the league but they do not pay to play shinny hockey.

lame.

It reminds me of an old joke .... What do you call a guy who hangs around with hockey players?

.... a goalie.

I laugh every time I hear them say things like "Soooo .... do I have to pay?".

Answer:

"No ... the world evolves around you and we just cannot stick handle or shoot if you do not play".

hey maybe I will play forward in goalie gear from now on.

CanadaBacon 09-02-2009 05:58 PM

Shinny goalies are free. Where i live some leagues charge some dont. It all depends which league you want to play.

If we dont have a goalie we usually just play ringer. Scores dont count though, just makes us feel like we are not wasting our time.

Hockeyfan68 09-02-2009 06:02 PM

Upon further thought .... goalies that suck should have to pay.

IniNew 09-02-2009 06:29 PM

Goalies pay half price for leagues... everything else is free, and when you're lucky to see a goalie per every 4 pick-ups, you understand why.

DevsFan84 09-02-2009 07:10 PM

Goalies pay full price in leagues here.

We never pay for open hockey.

Hell, there is a rink around here that pays the first two goalies ten bucks to show up.

CuteHockeyBunny 09-02-2009 09:07 PM

Goalies, the women of the hockey world.

TheOtter 09-02-2009 09:17 PM

I'm surprised - from what I have heard around here (here meaning New England - not HFBoards), I didn't expect so many goalies to be paying for leagues. Interesting!

Thanks for the replies!

blueberrydanish 09-02-2009 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtter (Post 20965170)
I'm surprised - from what I have heard around here (here meaning New England - not HFBoards), I didn't expect so many goalies to be paying for leagues. Interesting!

Thanks for the replies!

My guess is it really all depends on the demand of goalies. Not sure how big hockey is over there and in your area but that could be a big reason.

digitaljohn 09-02-2009 10:27 PM

In general, goalies don't pay for anything from what I've seen in Michigan. Personally, I would only expect to pay if I wasn't quite up to the level of the league.

Just seems to be the way it is around here.

vwg* 09-03-2009 02:02 AM

If there's no enough goalies for each team, they play for free if we can find them which kinda sucks for the goalies who already paid (but still not full price anyway) but in the end all we wanna do is just play some hockey and have fun. Goalies always skate free in pick up, max. of 4 goalies though.

Gino 14 09-03-2009 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CuteHockeyBunny (Post 20965078)
Goalies, the women of the hockey world.

Stopping the puck when their teammates are too inept to do their job?

shoeshine boy 09-03-2009 07:48 AM

in Rec League our goalies pay a yearly insurance fee but that's it.
in the Open League it varies by team. you must have 16 people on your roster. if you can get 16 skaters to sign up early you can qualify for a "Team Fee" and get 2 additional people on the roster for free. a lot of teams use this to get their goalie free hockey. my team uses it to get two free "subs". also in this league captains get a refund of their fees if they've met certain requirements during the season. some of the captains use their rebate to pay for part or all of their goalie's fees.

Nbr-17 09-03-2009 08:24 AM

On my teams goalies don't pay, but they cover the cost of a rent-a-goalie if we need one.

pfloyd75 09-03-2009 09:27 AM

I have paid full price for some seasons and others have been free. Drop in is always free for goalies here

Pog Form 09-03-2009 09:53 AM

In my pick-up games, the goalies don't pay.

On my beer league team, it really depends on the goalie. More often than not, each of the skaters pays a few extra bucks, which adds up to cover the goalie's registration fee for the year. On the other hand though, the goalie we had on our team for a few seasons wouldn't even think about not paying the full price just like the rest of the guys.

Hounsy 09-03-2009 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 (Post 20963180)
Goalies pay here in the league but they do not pay to play shinny hockey.

lame.

If you said that out loud to me and I played shinny with your group I would just not show up once and tell everyone you gave me the impression attendance was optional.:naughty:

Granted I'm nothing special, but my equipment being in one of the nets would be sorely missed.

Devil Dancer 09-03-2009 10:09 AM

The goalie on my team pays 1/2 price.

Giroux tha Damaja 09-03-2009 10:22 AM

My team pays a set amount, and how we split that up amongst ourselves is up to us. I pay an equal share with all my friends.

I haven't ever had to pay for pick up hockey.

Ragss 09-03-2009 03:21 PM

Up here in Edmonton the goalies pay for the leagues as far as I know. For drop in shinny at the indoor rinks they play for free, but there are often 3 or more goalies showing up.

greyraven8 09-03-2009 03:37 PM

I've played in a few senior NBC "beer" leagues over the years.
Regular goalies most commonly pay about half price; I've heard of some paying full price.
If we need a spare goalie for a game or two, they don't pay.

It's up to they team rep. what to charge (who has the 'fun' job of organizing the team, collecting money, finding a sponsor, dealing with the league president, etc.). I got suckered into that job for one year - about 2/3 of the guys were good; the rest of them were about as responsible as 5 years old (if that).

On a side note, the sponsor (when we had one) usually paid for jerseys or when it was a bar paid the team a certain amount that depended on how many guys came back to the bar after the game on a regular basis.

In "scrub", "pick up" or whatever you want to call it, goalies don't pay.

That's what i've noticed in Thunder Bay (Northwestern Ontario, Canada).

Hockeyfan68 09-03-2009 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hounsy (Post 20968914)
If you said that out loud to me and I played shinny with your group I would just not show up once and tell everyone you gave me the impression attendance was optional.:naughty:

Granted I'm nothing special, but my equipment being in one of the nets would be sorely missed.

I wouldn't care ... playing "hit the post" is fun too and we've done it often. The only time you NEED a goalie is for a league game otherwise who cares honestly.

I don't care for a goalie's attitude who thinks people cannot play without him so he doesn't have to pay.

If I played goal I would pay as to not look like a tool.