HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Confirmed Signing with Link: Brassard signs 4 year extension. 3.2M/yr (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=677751)

sureloss 09-04-2009 08:27 AM

Brassard signs 4 year extension. 3.2M/yr

http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/2009/09...xtension.shtml

Quote:

Blue Jackets center Derick Brassard has signed a four-year contract extension, The Dispatch has learned. The club will likely announce the extension later this morning.

Brassard has one year left on his current contract, so the extension will carry him through the 2013-14 season. He's expected to anchor the No. 1 line this season, with Kristian Huselius on his left and captain Rick Nash on his right.
Terms released:
Quote:

The contract has an annual salary cap hit of $3.2 million. Brassard will make $2.8 million in 2010-11, $3.0 million 2011-12, $3.3 million 2012-13 and $3.7 million in 2013-14, the final year of the contract.

Zubrus Coffee Maker 09-04-2009 08:31 AM

nice

SNAPshot 09-04-2009 08:42 AM

Sounds early, but probably at a discounted price than what he would have gotten in a year. Congrats to the Jackets, your organisation looks to be first class and you've amounted an amazing young core to lead you in the new era.

PS. Vermette will have 65 points this season and most of our Sens fan base will kick ourselves (that is, if Leclaire doesn't pan out)

hototogisu 09-04-2009 08:42 AM

Good for the Jackets, strange timing for Brassard...you'd figure he'd want to wait until after the year to start negotiating a new deal.

Marc the Habs Fan 09-04-2009 08:44 AM

Wow...on the surface, seems like a risky contract for both sides after Brassard has played like 50 games in the NHL. Can't wait to see the terms.

Ovechking 09-04-2009 08:47 AM

I can't believe how much people are praising the Columbus Blue Jackets. Their top line is Huselieus/Brassard/Nash. That's not a very good top line in my opinion. Anyways, I'm interested in knowing how much he'll be able to get.

Ludicrous Speed 09-04-2009 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ovechking (Post 20978974)
I can't believe how much people are praising the Columbus Blue Jackets. Their top line is Huselieus/Brassard/Nash. That's not a very good top line in my opinion. Anyways, I'm interested in knowing how much he'll be able to get.

I would love to hear this praise you speak of. The only good stuff I hear about us is that we're turning it around...not that we're a great team.

Sony Eriksson* 09-04-2009 08:56 AM

Maybe he learned his lesson last season...Don't fight just score!

Zetterberg4Captain 09-04-2009 08:57 AM

this is good for the blue jackets being able to lock of their future now.

a line of Filatov-brassard and nash is scary good..

Washington Capitals 09-04-2009 08:58 AM

Good for Columbus. Any word on terms?

Edit: From the article :

Quote:

The contract has an annual salary cap hit of $3.2 million. Brassard will make $2.8 million in 2010-11, $3.0 million 2011-12, $3.3 million 2012-13 and $3.7 million in 2013-14, the final year of the contract.

Brassard will be a restricted free agent after the 2013-14 season. He has a base salary of $765,000 this season, but could make up to $1.2 million if he achieves the bonuses in his entry-level contract.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper 09-04-2009 09:00 AM

Love Brassard, but I'll reserve judgment 'til I hear terms.

Kaktus* 09-04-2009 09:02 AM

Quote:

If I am CBJ fan I would be very excited about Brassard. Hitch will make a hell of a player out of him.

goldglove 09-04-2009 09:02 AM

4 yrs - 3.2 M$/yrs , per rds.ca

Sony Eriksson* 09-04-2009 09:04 AM

Quote:

Not every team can have the Ovechkin's of the world. Columbus is going to be a good team this year. The line of Huselieus/Brassard/Nash seem pretty solid to me. Then you throw Filatov in the mix along with Chimera and Malhotra and you have a pretty good group of forwards.

Ludicrous Speed 09-04-2009 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knee Seeking Scud (Post 20979091)
Not every team can have the Ovechkin's of the world. Columbus is going to be a good team this year. The line of Huselieus/Brassard/Nash seem pretty solid to me. Then you throw Filatov in the mix along with Chimera and Malhotra and you have a pretty good group of forwards.

Malhotra is no longer on the team. Chimera...is basically useless aside from his speed. Our forward group looks good because of guys like Umberger, Voracek, Vermette, and Pahlsson...not Chimera and Malhotra.

Stories 09-04-2009 09:17 AM

Seems like a lot of money for a guy who hasn't even played a full season in the NHL, no matter his potential.

Ovechking 09-04-2009 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed (Post 20979017)
I would love to hear this praise you speak of. The only good stuff I hear about us is that we're turning it around...not that we're a great team.

In the thread about weak teams in the West, Columbus is continuously called a playoff contender which looks good on paper.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaktus (Post 20979071)
If I am CBJ fan I would be very excited about Brassard. Hitch will make a hell of a player out of him.

Yeah, but to have him centering your first line? Puts a lot of pressure on a young guy like him.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Knee Seeking Scud (Post 20979091)

My team is Edmonton, not Washington, so I know what it's like to have a struggling team. Horcoff, Hemsky, and Penner are all good players to have on a first line, despite their lack of production in past years (mostly Mac T's fault). Overall Columbus has a decent top 6, but the top 3 is still lacking. It's that #1 line which makes a team - look at Pittsburgh and Detroit.

Marc the Habs Fan 09-04-2009 09:23 AM

They didn't get a UFA year out of this deal either, he really needs to stay healthy now to prove his worth. It could look like a genius contract shortly if he becomes a 70-80 point guy feeding Nash though.

OTOH, gotta wonder if this contract affects the Kessel situation in any way. Brassard is from the same draft and has proven less in the NHL so far.

Alberta Yote 09-04-2009 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ovechking (Post 20979200)
My team is Edmonton, not Washington, so I know what it's like to have a struggling team. Horcoff, Hemsky, and Penner are all good players to have on a first line, despite their lack of production in past years (mostly Mac T's fault). Overall Columbus has a decent top 6, but the top 3 is still lacking. It's that #1 line which makes a team - look at Pittsburgh and Detroit.

Huselius/Brassard/Nash over Penner/Horcoff/Hemsky for me.

Is that what you're saying?

As for the contract, it seems a lot for a guy with so few games but that's what's happening with 2nd contracts for skilled players.

Karl with a C 09-04-2009 09:25 AM

Deal will he a steal shortly.

ZDH 09-04-2009 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ovechking (Post 20979200)

My team is Edmonton, not Washington, so I know what it's like to have a struggling team. Horcoff, Hemsky, and Penner are all good players to have on a first line,

Nash - Brassard - Huselius >>> Penner - Horcoff - Hemsky

(and in a couple of years Nash - Brassard - Voracek will be better than a lot of teams #1 lines)

worstfaceoffmanever 09-04-2009 09:31 AM

WOW! :eek: :eek: :eek:

That's quite a bit of coin for a guy that has all of 27 NHL points. This is a VERY risky deal for Howson. It could pay dividends in a few years, but still...

Sony Eriksson* 09-04-2009 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever (Post 20979291)
WOW! :eek: :eek: :eek:

That's quite a bit of coin for a guy that has all of 27 NHL points. This is a VERY risky deal for Howson. It could pay dividends in a few years, but still...

He had 25 points in 31 games before he was gone for the season with a shoulder injury. So obviously he has the skill and talent. I bet if he would not of been injured he would of been a ROY finalist.

Karl with a C 09-04-2009 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZDH (Post 20979246)
Nash - Brassard - Huselius >>> Penner - Horcoff - Hemsky

(and in a couple of years Nash - Brassard - Voracek will be better than a lot of teams #1 lines)

The Nash line is better, but not "WAAAAY" better as you're making it sound. You're underrating Hemsky and overrating Brassard.

Tombernack 09-04-2009 09:37 AM

Quote:

Afraid I must disagree with you there.

Nash - Elite winger in the league whose proven he doesn't even need help from the middle and is a dangerous line by himself.

Huselieus - Meh. Still a top 6 player on most teams

Brassard - Very young still and will probably get close to PPG territory this season. Was a ROY favorite until he got injured. No reason to not be excited about him.

Thats a very solid top line IMO.