HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Calgary Flames (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   1st Round Matchup - Flames Vs. Nucks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=67858)

zoidberg 04-04-2004 06:23 PM

1st Round Matchup - Flames Vs. Nucks

Confirmed today by our loss. It should be a great series. Should we do predictions or will that jinx it? :)

CalgaryFan1988 04-04-2004 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoidberg
Confirmed today by our loss. It should be a great series. Should we do predictions or will that jinx it? :)

Just for the record it didn't matter if Calgary won or not, because Dallas won earlier today...and I think it's better than playing Colorado or Dallas in the first round. What do you guys think.

vega007 04-04-2004 06:44 PM

I agree. Colorado own us, and Marty Turco would eat up our offensive forechecking system.

It will be a great series. Canucks are -180ish favourites

OMA 04-04-2004 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988
Just for the record it didn't matter if Calgary won or not, because Dallas won earlier today...and I think it's better than playing Colorado or Dallas in the first round. What do you guys think.

I agree.

We've had some success with Colorado, but i want nothing to do with that club. They have another gear in the playoffs and they are a force IMO.

Dallas has owned us this year. Turco's puckhandling ability stifles our forecheck.

I'm glad that we got Vancouver. We probably won't win, but that's the one club that we could give a hell of a fight.

Biggest Canuck Fan 04-04-2004 06:57 PM

The only way the Canucks will beat the Flames is to match the Flames work ethic. There just is not another team that works like the Flames do, and thus they get scoring because of it... like they should.

The biggest matchup in this series is Ohlund vs Iginla. The last time they met Iginla was having fits at Ohlund. If Ohlund cannot contain Iggy the Flames will do very, very well.

I look forward to the series guys. It is nice to have the Flames back in the playoffs!!

RussianRocket 04-04-2004 07:10 PM

It will be a very good series between the nucks and the Flames, i am a nucks fan, i am so happy that the flames are back into the playoff. With the flames excellent work rate. This will be a long series.

i predict canucks in seven

cc 04-04-2004 07:41 PM

I find them similar to the Wild of last year. Roloson stoned the nucks and Kippo has that potential, and Iginla and Gaborik can draw comparisons in scoring ability... both marquee players in a team full of grit. The Flames stingy defense worries me... they have that potential to be that darkhorse in a playoff that doesn't seem to have to many.

maruk14 04-04-2004 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan
The biggest matchup in this series is Ohlund vs Iginla. The last time they met Iginla was having fits at Ohlund. If Ohlund cannot contain Iggy the Flames will do very, very well.

I would think Iginla will be seeing a lot of Ruutu as well. Ruutu will be trying to get under his skin from game 1 on, and if Flames fans are not calling for his head by the time the games switch back to Calgary then Jarkko won't be doing his job.

All in all should be a great series. One that should take the rivalry to a new level. BCF has it right, the Canucks have to match Calgary's work ethic to win. The Canucks are a far diffenent team with Rucinsky/Sanderson vs Bertuzzi. Much more balanced attack with more speed. They are going to need some guys to step up and continue to take the heat off Naslund, and they have the horses to do it (Sedins, Morrison, Sanderson, etc). Cloutier must play solid, but more importantly, the Canucks need to play solid team defense.

Calgary must continue to get excellent goaltending to win. They won't outscore the Canucks, so they must be patient and take there chances on the counter attack with speed. The Canucks have always been vulnerable to a team that plays that way, especially with our defense so involved in the offense. The way each team performed during the season on the PP this series should be decided 5 on 5. Looking forward to it.

Here's hoping we can keep the dialogue civilized, and the games are hard fought but clean.

surge 04-04-2004 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maruk14
I would think Iginla will be seeing a lot of Ruutu as well. Ruutu will be trying to get under his skin from game 1 on, and if Flames fans are not calling for his head by the time the games switch back to Calgary then Jarkko won't be doing his job.

All in all should be a great series. One that should take the rivalry to a new level. BCF has it right, the Canucks have to match Calgary's work ethic to win. The Canucks are a far diffenent team with Rucinsky/Sanderson vs Bertuzzi. Much more balanced attack with more speed. They are going to need some guys to step up and continue to take the heat off Naslund, and they have the horses to do it (Sedins, Morrison, Sanderson, etc). Cloutier must play solid, but more importantly, the Canucks need to play solid team defense.

Calgary must continue to get excellent goaltending to win. They won't outscore the Canucks, so they must be patient and take there chances on the counter attack with speed. The Canucks have always been vulnerable to a team that plays that way, especially with our defense so involved in the offense. The way each team performed during the season on the PP this series should be decided 5 on 5. Looking forward to it.

Here's hoping we can keep the dialogue civilized, and the games are hard fought but clean.

amen.

BB 04-04-2004 08:45 PM

Here is to a heated battle on the ice between to good Canadian teams. I can't wait till Wed.

kruezer 04-04-2004 09:04 PM

Hey, should be a good one, no matter who wins I'll be pulling for them in the second round.

Warrener & Gauthier should draw the Naslund line I would imagine, Regehr & Leopold will likely be out for the Sedin's line I would expect.

Any word on when Lydman will be back?

Who is Ohlund's normal D-partner?

xtra 04-04-2004 09:10 PM

Sopel is Ohlunds D partner.

expect Iginla to get alot of Linden-Ruutu-and keane/May/Chubarov as well as Ohlund.

Ohh its gonna be a great series

kruezer 04-04-2004 09:39 PM

The schedule is up <http://www.nhl.com/cupcrazy2004/playoffsked.shtml>

Game #1 is Wednesday, good for us since we don't have to wait all the way 'til Thursday :D, but the team could probably have used the extra day of rest.

:yo:

kruezer 04-04-2004 10:00 PM

Anyone know when Lydman, Yelle and McAmmond will be ready?

FLAMESFAN 04-04-2004 10:04 PM

With Bert out, Gauthier is going to be all over Naslund. Add Nieminen to the list, and Naslund is going to be going through fits.

flamesfan12 04-04-2004 10:06 PM

Should be a great series and I think it could go either way. GO FLAMES!

ForeignFlame 04-05-2004 12:39 AM

Yeah, the Flames certainly do have the guys to get under the skin of the Canucks top guys as well, the Naslunds etc...; such as Gauthier, Warrener and Nieminen.

Stifler 04-05-2004 12:41 AM

If we stick to our system and play great defence, this has the potential to be really close and exciting hockey.

Knucklez 04-05-2004 12:48 AM

Classic Canadian matchup. I'm really looking forward to this series. Glad to see the Flamers in the playoffs finally.

Biggest Canuck Fan 04-05-2004 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForeignFlame
Yeah, the Flames certainly do have the guys to get under the skin of the Canucks top guys as well, the Naslunds etc...; such as Gauthier, Warrener and Nieminen.

You can't argue that. Hell Gauthier took a shot at Bert today... "Yeah well my good buddy Bertuzzi is going to miss the dance here".

I love playoff hockey!!

Cactus Jack 04-05-2004 02:17 AM

I am sooo excited! I am totally geeked for wednesday!! WOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

The intense actions, the close calls in the game, the bad officiating, the bounces, the matchups, the quotes in the newspapers, everything!!! I love playoff hockey and couldn't be any more excited!!

Nieminen to Ruttu. Cloutier and Kiprusoff. Iginla and Naslund. Gauthier and Ohlund.

FLAMESFAN 04-05-2004 03:53 PM

Just over 50 hours to go!

Anyways, I hope the Flames are going to try some long shots on Cloutsieve. Let's break his confidence, and watch him fold!

ArtG 04-05-2004 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLAMESFAN
Just over 50 hours to go!

Anyways, I hope the Flames are going to try some long shots on Cloutsieve. Let's break his confidence, and watch him fold!

No worries... we'll get cookie to get "pushed" into kipper and you guys will have to use TurSUCK :D

Bandwagoner 04-05-2004 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cactus Jack
I am sooo excited! I am totally geeked for wednesday!! WOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

The intense actions, the close calls in the game, the bad officiating, the bounces, the matchups, the quotes in the newspapers, everything!!! I love playoff hockey and couldn't be any more excited!!

Nieminen to Ruttu. Cloutier and Kiprusoff. Iginla and Naslund. Gauthier and Ohlund.

I am waiting for the Sutter - Crawford match up myself, should be a great series.

chriss_co 04-05-2004 09:14 PM

Someone from calgarypuck.com was at Flames practice today and said they saw Lydman skating

this is a good sign since he had a concussion and skating means he is back

i think yelle is the most important tho.. but Lydman is so important back in our own end and clearing the puck