HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Arizona Coyotes (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Bankruptcy battle is off-season distraction: Season Preview (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=678902)

DD88 09-08-2009 07:45 PM

Bankruptcy battle is off-season distraction: Season Preview

As part of the HFBoards partnership program, I've been granted the permission to post the below article.

Quote:

For such a young and talented team, the focus on the Phoenix Coyotes should be on the team, but just where the future of the team is remains uncertain.

While the NHL, Blackberry boss Jim Balsillie, and a bankruptcy judge bicker about the future prosperity and location of the club, General Manager Don Maloney had a difficult task this off-season. Maloney was in no position to spend through free agency, but he needed to assemble a competitive team to ice to a fan base that might not be located in Phoenix.

The Coyotes made a pair of trades at the forward ranks, flipping Steven Reinprecht to Florida for Stefan Meyer, while fugitive winger Radim Vrbata was acquired from Tampa Bay.

Matthew Lombardi, acquired in the Olli Jokinen trade, will centre the top line. Lombardi scored 16 points last year with the Coyotes and the team will see how that translates over a full season. Captain Shane Doan is expected to lead the team in scoring.

The Coyotes own a handful of forwards who will all look to improve on last season, including Mikkel Boedker, Viktor Tikhonov, Peter Mueller, Martin Hanzal and Daniel Winnik. Third overall pick in 2007, Kyle Turris, will see more playing time on a regular basis in 2009-10.

Phoenix’s blueline is highlighted by seasoned Ed Jovanovski, Kurt Sauer, and summer additions of Adrian Aucoin and Jim Vandermeer. Defenseman Keith Yandle should see more playing time in his third NHL season.

Goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov is among the Coyotes most valuable players, while Jason LaBarbera was added during the offseason.

Prediction: 15th in West
For more season previews, check out www.corywilkins.ca

XX 09-08-2009 07:49 PM

Bryz and the D are too good to finish 15th. Playoffs? No. But not that low, at least I don't think.

rt 09-08-2009 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cory Wilkins (Post 21020668)
As part of the HFBoards partnership program, I've been granted the permission to post the below article.

And thank god for that.

P.S.

When highlighting our team defense, you might not want to leave out the team's best defenseman.

k1llua 09-08-2009 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rt (Post 21020733)
And thank god for that.

P.S.

When highlighting our team defense, you might not want to leave out the team's best defenseman.

That's the story of his life, isn't it?

yakko 09-08-2009 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k1llua (Post 21020827)
That's the story of his life, isn't it?

Maybe Viktor Tikonen knows.

hbk 09-08-2009 08:26 PM

Wow, predicting Phoenix to finish dead last in the conference. How utterly predictable. I'm willing to wager that they don't.

rt 09-08-2009 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hbk (Post 21021097)
Wow, predicting Phoenix to finish dead last in the conference. How utterly predictable. I'm willing to wager that they don't.

Hey, if Zbynek Michalek is absent, we're a lock for dead last. Especially with Winnik and some guy named Tikonen making the team. Not to mention that increase in ice time for Turris. That would leave a few of Pyatt, Tikhonov, Korpikoski, Fiddler, and Prucha without jobs.

Naych_PHX 09-08-2009 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cory Wilkins (Post 21020668)

For more season previews, check out www.corywilkins.ca

I'm sorry but.... I'm just sorry.

Thanks anyway.

hbk 09-08-2009 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rt (Post 21021129)
Hey, if Zbynek Michalek is absent, we're a lock for dead last. Especially with Winnik and some guy named Tikonen making the team. Not to mention that increase in ice time for Turris. That would leave a few of Pyatt, Tikhonov, Korpikoski, Fiddler, and Prucha without jobs.

We're not a flashy pick. I get that. I just think the so called experts (or guys who are getting paid to publish an opinion) are just mailing in a Phoenix prediction. Your post above about Michalek just proves that. Last I checked the Lawyers don't actually play hockey.

mitch27 09-08-2009 09:06 PM

the responses in this thread are priceless.

Since when was there a Tikonen invited to the camp?

:help:

Colt45Blast 09-08-2009 09:09 PM

The only way to prove these critics wrong and shut them up is for the team to make the playoffs.
Posted via Mobile Device

TeamTippett 09-08-2009 10:25 PM

I will bet anyone from CAN right now $1000 that this team will not finish dead last in the west. I'm serious, Anyone interested and wants to take me up on my bet lets set up an escrow account.

2yotesfans88 09-08-2009 11:39 PM

i could have SWORN we had a D man who was JUST ON THE COVER OF NHL.com for having themost blocked shots in the league. a pretty long article about him. and not only did he had the most but he had the most by almost 40. but maybe im wrong maybe i just dreamt that up. im sure a player like that will have zero effect on how this team does anyway. I love articles like this. it just shows how little people know.

also where can i get a Tikonen jersey? i want one now.

XX 09-08-2009 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2yotesfans88 (Post 21022915)
i could have SWORN we had a D man who was JUST ON THE COVER OF NHL.com for having themost blocked shots in the league. a pretty long article about him. and not only did he had the most but he had the most by almost 40. but maybe im wrong maybe i just dreamt that up. im sure a player like that will have zero effect on how this team does anyway.

I like your style.

hao chi 09-08-2009 11:57 PM

I just hope that Tikonen guy doesn't suck.

Colt45Blast 09-09-2009 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hao chi (Post 21023029)

I'm sure he will be better than Sidney Crosby! LOL
Posted via Mobile Device

RR 09-09-2009 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hao chi (Post 21023029)

I hear his style of play is reminiscent of former Coyote Teppo Numminov.

yakko 09-09-2009 12:58 AM

This thread makes me smile. Thanks Cory!

k1llua 09-09-2009 01:05 AM

I wonder how that Kyle Tueller guy is looking.

hao chi 09-09-2009 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k1llua (Post 21023372)
I wonder how that Kyle Tueller guy is looking.

He sucks. I suggest we put him in a bundle to acquire Milkin.

SniperHF 09-09-2009 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yakko (Post 21023332)
This thread makes me smile. Thanks Cory!

I guess that's the only benefit of the partner program. Ever since they started that thing every Joe schmo posts his website offering 2 cents on their daily NHL musings. At least it can be entertaining from time to time.

yakko 09-09-2009 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SniperHF (Post 21023393)
I guess that's the only benefit of the partner program. Ever since they started that thing every Joe schmo posts his website offering 2 cents on their daily NHL musings. At least it can be entertaining from time to time.

Someone ought to put up a blog with The Onion style satire of it. I nominate you doing the entire thing but authored as Wavy and Cheeky Monkey.

hao chi 09-09-2009 01:21 AM

My Wikipedia search for Viktor Tikonen came up with this:

Did you mean: viktor tikhonov

You may create the page "Viktor tikonen", but consider checking the search results below to see whether it is already covered.

There were no results matching the query.

yakko 09-09-2009 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hao chi (Post 21023428)

Tikonen is way too cool for Wikipedia.

XX 09-09-2009 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yakko (Post 21023439)
Tikonen is way too cool for Wikipedia.

Quote:

Having traded away Finnish born Olli Jokinen, the Phoenix Coyotes decided to add a little more Scandinavian flavor to their locker room by converting their young Russian forward, Tikhonov, into the fiery young Finn Tikonen.

"We're thrilled with the conversion" says Coyotes GM Don Maloney. "We feel that Tikonen will be with this organization for a long time and be an important contributor next season. You look at the post-deadline action and I think the lack of Finn on the ice was very clear." Tikhonov's grandfather, the legendary Viktor Tikhonov, could not be reached for comment.

This is Dave Vest reporting for PhoenixCoyotes.com
:sarcasm: