HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   The Kessel File-Volume 2 - Phil Wants Out of Beantown (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=678995)

Dark Knight 09-08-2009 10:18 PM

The Kessel File-Volume 2 - Phil Wants Out of Beantown

Trading for Kessel, while keeping Kaberle as well will make me a very happy man !! :)

[mod edit- start of new thread-NJ]

oscarknows 09-08-2009 10:53 PM

what do you think

kadri for kessel

TimeZone 09-08-2009 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oscarknows (Post 21022035)
kadri for kessel

:help:

Stats01 09-08-2009 11:03 PM

I think Burke told Chiarelli that look we won't put an offer sheet on Kessel, but we'll give you the compensation you would get from one in a trade. And with that Chiarelli came back and told Burke if we don't get a better offer than that then we'll take it. Just my two cents.

Stats01 09-08-2009 11:05 PM

Also I think that if Burke can't get a deal for Kessel then Dubinsky comes into play. Burke will add a forward before the season starts in my opinion. One of Kessel or Dubinsky. I have a feeling Kessel will be a Leaf by the end of September.

TimeZone 09-08-2009 11:10 PM

[QUOTE=Stats01;21022151]Also I think that if Burke can't get a deal for Kessel then Dubinsky comes into play. Burke will add a forward before the season starts in my opinion. One of Kessel or Dubinsky. I have a feeling Kessel will be a Leaf by the end of September.[/QUOTE]

I have a feeling you will be wrong.:naughty:

RayzorIsDull 09-08-2009 11:20 PM

Is anybody concerned that if Toronto presents an offer sheet to Kessel and Boston lets him go to Toronto that Boston could be getting a top 10 pick? The only reason I mention that is because Kessel might be out until December. I really like Kessel but this would be a huge risk.

TimeZone 09-08-2009 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull (Post 21022273)
Is anybody concerned that if Toronto presents an offer sheet to Kessel and Boston lets him go to Toronto that Boston could be getting a top 10 pick? The only reason I mention that is because Kessel might be out until December. I really like Kessel but this would be a huge risk.

Well Worth the risk imo. I'd be surprised if we finnished with a top10 pick anyway.

LTL 09-08-2009 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All_blueandwhite (Post 21020846)
@ LTL

Why would Burke offer something more in a trade than what the offersheet compensation is?

Tlusty + 2010 1st + Prospect > 1st, 2nd, 3rd since in the first deal your essentially giving up 2 1sts and more depending on the prospect.

Plus if he turns around and uses that package to aquire Kessel, that makes the trade for our 2010 2nd round pick seem like a waste.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nuck (Post 21021413)
An offer sheet means he has to outspend the Bs. A trade means he has to simply come to the minimum number that will make Kessel happy without worrying about breaking the Bruin's bank. Those numbers could be a million a year apart. Plus draft picks are never surplus wheras the club has a few players that definitely don't fit in their long term plans.

This.

Burke can also maintain a balanced cap system moving forward. An unnecessary mil here, few mil there, etc, all adds up when its crunch time in a few years. Also If Chirelli isn't satisfied with a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd he'll match regardless and Burke ends up losing out.

Quote:

Kessel is worth a heck of a lot more then POSSIBLE 8th, 9th, 10th or lower selection.

ULF_55 09-08-2009 11:32 PM

Quote:

The Leafs don't have Kessel now, so they won't be hurting any with him out until December.

Kessel is a proven top 5 pick.

Theron 09-08-2009 11:40 PM

Quote:

c'mon the odds of that top ten pick becoming a player like kessel are unlikely unless it's a top 5 .. even then .

TimeZone 09-08-2009 11:43 PM

Getting Phil Kessel is something that would make me very happy....which means it is VERY unlikely to happen.

embracedbias 09-08-2009 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salsabil (Post 21021634)
Trading for Kessel, while keeping Kaberle as well will make me a very happy man !! :)

If I was Chia, I would have definitely traded for Kaberle when I had the chance.... I guess the price was high, but could you imagine a Chara - Kaberle combo? Could of been the best pairing in the NHL.

Anyways, as I said before, if a deal can get done where Tlusty sticks around, I would be elated. I just have a bad feeling that if he's traded he'll have a monster year in Boston (perhaps even better than Kessel, with his injury and all). When I look at that list that Zeke created with the past players who scored at a PPG pace while 21 or younger, it doesn't endear to me the idea of seeing him in another jersey.

smoke meat pete* 09-09-2009 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PavelBure96109 (Post 21022470)
Getting Phil Kessel is something that would make me very happy....which means it is VERY unlikely to happen.

You just summed up how i should be feeling. Way too much optimism from me on this one, which is bound to lead to disappointment.

As fate will have it, Kessel will become a leaf, but he will get traded for someone I'd like to see remain a Leaf, like Tlusty, and/or Kadri or Schenn, or it will turn into 2 1st round picks. Something to piss me off.

robdicks 09-09-2009 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dynrehab (Post 21022759)
You just summed up how i should be feeling. Way too much optimism from me on this one, which is bound to lead to disappointment.

As fate will have it, Kessel will become a leaf, but he will get traded for someone I'd like to see remain a Leaf, like Tlusty, and/or Kadri or Schenn, or it will turn into 2 1st round picks. Something to piss me off.

kessel has a better chance of being traded for jesus

anywho.. my expectations are that he comes and is exactly what i expect from him... a streaky player, who has loads of talent, but now has lots of money, and not so many linemates

smoke meat pete* 09-09-2009 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robdicks (Post 21022790)
kessel has a better chance of being traded for jesus

anywho.. my expectations are that he comes and is exactly what i expect from him... a streaky player, who has loads of talent, but now has lots of money, and not so many linemates

The whole point of my post was that I was going to be disappointed because I always am when it comes to the Leafs, but thanks for treating it like some juvenile trade thread.

embracedbias 09-09-2009 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robdicks (Post 21022618)
why do ppl underrrate dennis wideman so much u guys realize he scored 13 goals last year and 50 pts? fyi also a plus 32. i mean kaberle is good, but wideman is just as good if not better..plus wideman is 26 and kabs is 31

Wideman wasn't paired with Chara, and isn't nearly as adept on the PP.... especially not as a set-up man.

Plus, he's going to have to perform at a high level for longer than 1 season before he's at Kaberle's level.

91 09-09-2009 08:02 AM

I hope something happens with Kessel soon. I would be extremely excited to get him on the Leafs. I think Kessel would want to play here as well with both the Head Coach and GM of Team USA running the Leafs...

paulster2626 09-09-2009 08:25 AM

Why would the Bruins be in any hurry to get this resolved quickly with Kessel on the DL until mid-November?

Newfie John 09-09-2009 08:54 AM

Howard Berger mentioned the possibility of the Leafs also acquiring Michael Ryder in a Phil Kessel trade.

There's not a lot of term left on that contract, and Ryder has the ability to pop in 20-30 goals. If he doesn't perform, stick him in the minors. Taking Ryder off of Boston's hands would significantly lessen what Toronto would have to give up to get Kessel, as they'd be taking a headache off their hands with Ryder.

Jeff Finger would have to be sent to the Marlies to make enough room under the cap.

Bit of an iffy situation, not sure on the idea myself, what do you guys think?

mydnyte 09-09-2009 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salsabil (Post 21021634)

[mod edit- start of new thread-NJ]

trading for Kessel without giving up Kaberle would make me even more happy, if we then traded Kaberle for something else!! (Horton)

Budsfan 09-09-2009 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newfie John (Post 21024248)
Howard Berger mentioned the possibility of the Leafs also acquiring Michael Ryder in a Phil Kessel trade.

There's not a lot of term left on that contract, and Ryder has the ability to pop in 20-30 goals. If he doesn't perform, stick him in the minors. Taking Ryder off of Boston's hands would significantly lessen what Toronto would have to give up to get Kessel, as they'd be taking a headache off their hands with Ryder.

Jeff Finger would have to be sent to the Marlies to make enough room under the cap.

It really depends on what we are sending the other way, there is still talk of Kaberle waiving his NTC and being part of the deal but I would like him to stay here and do a package of other players.

The big problem is can we fit both Ryder and Kessel under the cap unless we off load a player, maybe Van Ryn who's salary is a cap hit of 2.9 mill could be part of a deal.

darty 09-09-2009 09:21 AM

Quote:

I'm pretty sure that Boston likes having Ryder in the lineup and would not be considered a salary dump. We'd surely be giving up a very large package in any deal that involves both players.

ULF_55 09-09-2009 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Budsfan (Post 21024328)
It really depends on what we are sending the other way, there is still talk of Kaberle waiving his NTC and being part of the deal but I would like him to stay here and do a package of other players.

The big problem is can we fit both Ryder and Kessel under the cap unless we off load a player, maybe Van Ryn who's salary is a cap hit of 2.9 mill could be part of a deal.

Team can be 10% over until the season starts. So can Boston.

Boston could match and waive someone else.

Not a slam dunk, just a little push, getting the pick back.

dubey 09-09-2009 09:27 AM

Quote:

hahahahaha

Boston is just going to throw in their top scorer from the playoffs in a deal with Phil Kessel. I'm pretty sure they are going to try and compete again this year.