HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Attention ECAC bashers... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=67956)

Servo 04-04-2004 10:44 PM

Attention ECAC bashers...

Today, Martin St. Louis became the first former NCAA player to win the Art Ross Trophy. Not bad for a kid who played in such a crappy conference :p:

Dantes19 04-05-2004 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Servo
Today, Martin St. Louis became the first former NCAA player to win the Art Ross Trophy. Not bad for a kid who played in such a crappy conference :p:

One player does not a conference make.

(yeah i know it's corny but you get my point)

in the hall 04-05-2004 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dantes19
One player does not a conference make.

(yeah i know it's corny but you get my point)

one player gives hope

Forechecker 04-05-2004 12:37 PM

Adam Oates and Joe Juneau both played for RPI. No one ever said the ECAC had NO talent, but that compared to the other collegiate leagues, it was the least competitive.

Servo 04-05-2004 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forechecker
Adam Oates and Joe Juneau both played for RPI. No one ever said the ECAC had NO talent, but that compared to the other collegiate leagues, it was the least competitive.

The complaint I hear most is that NHL players can't develop there, when its been proven time and again that they can. Having the first college player ever to lead the NHL in scoring develop in the ECAC is just icing on the cake.

As for the "one player" comment, one player can an example make. In addition to the two mentioned above, I'll just throw out a few off the top of my head: Nieuwendyk, Chartrand, Conroy, Marchant, S. Moore, Cole, Halpern.

Fletch 04-05-2004 01:08 PM

If Jessiman put up St. Louis-type numbers..

nobody would be talking about the league as much, but how much Jessiman has improved [I know we're not specifically talking about Jessiman, but that's what sparked the debate inititally]. He put up 71, 85 (the 60) points in his sophomore, Junior and Senior years, respectively. The question is, does he put up those same numbers in Hockey East, or the CCHA?

Servo 04-05-2004 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch
nobody would be talking about the league as much, but how much Jessiman has improved [I know we're not specifically talking about Jessiman, but that's what sparked the debate inititally]. He put up 71, 85 (the 60) points in his sophomore, Junior and Senior years, respectively. The question is, does he put up those same numbers in Hockey East, or the CCHA?

Its hard to say with any one player, but I think he'd likely match his current numbers or improve them (I admit there is better offensive talent out west to support a good scorer, which might boost a prospect's offensive numbers) (I'm not sure what the numbers are you refer to above, BTW). The ECAC is very strong defensively among its top teams. I've said several times, if you can score on Cornell you can score on any team in the country :) My worry about Jessiman as an NHL prospect is that he can't score on Cornell (which is fine with me for now, but not when he joins the Rangers)!

ratzboy 04-06-2004 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Servo
The complaint I hear most is that NHL players can't develop there, when its been proven time and again that they can. Having the first college player ever to lead the NHL in scoring develop in the ECAC is just icing on the cake.

As for the "one player" comment, one player can an example make. In addition to the two mentioned above, I'll just throw out a few off the top of my head: Nieuwendyk, Chartrand, Conroy, Marchant, S. Moore, Cole, Halpern.

You could add John Leclair and Aaron Miller to that list too (Go cats go!)