HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Berger: Kaberle : Comfort over achievement (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=679582)

Dark Knight 09-11-2009 01:34 AM

Kaberle : Comfort over achievement

Great article.

I recommend everyone reading it.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Howar...vement/3/22891

Call of the loonie 09-11-2009 01:43 AM

It is very well written and probably true. But 7 months from now, Berger will write another article admonishing all of us dirty Leaf fans for demanding Kaberle to waive his NTC (while he hides in the bushes at the team hotel).

Stephen 09-11-2009 01:48 AM

You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't.

mapleleaf1389 09-11-2009 01:50 AM

am I the only person getting sick and tired of the nonsense that is written by Howard Berger. He seems to act as though Kaberle is the lone symbol of failure in the leafs organization, and his unwillingness to waive the no trade clause is because he embraces failure. Heaven forbid the guy not want to uproot his family to go to a place he is unfamiliar with and may not even play as well. I say if he wants to stay, and exercise the right he was given by JFJ to waive any trade, so be it. There are worse players at worse salaries we could be saddled with.

Kessick 09-11-2009 01:50 AM

It really didn't seem like a remarkable departure from the tone or approach he uses in the majority of his articles, so I'm not sure what you found so spectacular about it. Honestly, I think he's just recycling his material, he's written about this subject and used the phrase blue-coloured glasses a thousand times before.

TheTotalPackage 09-11-2009 02:09 AM

What a bunch of garbage.

Firstly, Kaberle is a 32-year old who has more years left than Sundin did. Secondly, why can't a player desire to stay where he has played his whole career? Thirdly, based on the first point, he could/will be long around enough to enjoy the successes of the franchise once things turn around. Finally, Brian Burke had every opportunity to trade him to ANY team in the entire league (yes, including those that achieve, Howard) without any say from Tomas, but knew better to keep him around.

Modo 09-11-2009 02:32 AM

Meh, Berger's a tool.

Wasn't he the one who made up Averygate, from the Leafs-Rags melee?

HariKari 09-11-2009 02:39 AM

it's funny every column he's bashing Leaf fans blind adoration, yet he's made his career off of it. You clearly hate this team; it's players, management, fans, why don't you go write for Nashville then, Howard? No one wants you here.

Machinae 09-11-2009 02:57 AM

Good article by Berger; It's all too true.

Stats01 09-11-2009 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mapleleaf1389 (Post 21049397)
am I the only person getting sick and tired of the nonsense that is written by Howard Berger. He seems to act as though Kaberle is the lone symbol of failure in the leafs organization, and his unwillingness to waive the no trade clause is because he embraces failure. Heaven forbid the guy not want to uproot his family to go to a place he is unfamiliar with and may not even play as well. I say if he wants to stay, and exercise the right he was given by JFJ to waive any trade, so be it. There are worse players at worse salaries we could be saddled with.

No you're not the only one. The past year or two I've lost a lot of respect for Howard Berger as a beat reporter let alone his stupid blogs. I really don't understand the point of his blogs anyway what are they supposed to do for Leaf fans. Sure it gives his opinion but he writes pure garbage about the team. He trashes them everytime he gets the chance it boggles my mind that a reporter will go out of his way to rip the team he reports on everyday. Like let's take this so called * new Kaberle* blog he has up. This is like the 4th or 5th blog alone he's written about how Kaberle is just comfortable and how he rather just be famous in a city then winning. Like wtf, how can you judge someone like that, you can't just go around writing stuff that you have no idea if it's true or not. Kaberle and every other hockey player wants to win. Yeah yeah I'm probably going to get responses like* well theres some players in it for the money every player is in it for the money they are also in it to win.Kabs is someone who negotiated his no trade JFJ gave it to him, Howard Berger writes like he's still a a teenager watching the crappy 70's teams. HEY HOWARD get a kleenex and get over it.

Persuasion 09-11-2009 03:04 AM

Here's a link for those of us who don't want to support hockeybuzz:

http://blog.rogersbroadcasting.com/n...r-achievement/

Stats01 09-11-2009 03:15 AM

Also another thing, it's funny how we have this huge off season with lots of change and Howard still talks about the trade deadline of 08 like enough LOL I assume most of us Leaf fans are over that, sure it would've been amazing to get Jeff Carter but that doesnt mean every second or third blog has to be how Howard thinks Kaberle is choosing comfort and celebrity over winning. He's become one sad one dimensional writer who has no substance whatsoever in his blogs. Just stuff he's spewed off in previous ones.

TuckerThomas 09-11-2009 03:41 AM

Berger and EK are hockeys Britney Spears and Paris Hilton. They make their living being trashy and immoral. All four are extremely tallented at what they do. Unfortuately its impossible to ignore and I just supported it by clicking on hockeybuzz and giving an opinion here. :help:

Four1 Lead 09-11-2009 03:59 AM

Tomas Kaberle is a man with a family, he has a desire to play and live in our great city of Toronto.

He's been a gentleman since day one, personally I will be okay with whatever Kaberle decides to do. If he wants to stay that badly, I'd be happy with that. If Burke can go out and get one or two good forwards to help this team make the playoffs and compete this year or next, Kaberle should stay.

Depends really what Burke's plans are.

Howard Berger has no integrity. He fails to realize that Kaberle has been a citizen of our city for 10 years. Tomas has brought his family over and become very comfortable in Toronto. There are still many athletes who realize the importance of family.

william_adams 09-11-2009 05:19 AM

Someone needs to tell Howie that Blue and White disease affects more than the players and the fans - he's a walking, talking example. A fanzine-type "reporter" like Howie writes opinions and thinks he's taken as seriously as a journalist. I enjoy reading Howie's news pieces because he often covers topics the main news reporters gloss over like line combos and roster moves, but his opinion pieces are horrible. Stick to what you're good at Howie!

ts 09-11-2009 06:16 AM

Only in Toronto is being loyal to your team, no matter what, a bad thing and a sign of a lack of motivation and/or competitiveness.

Other teams would wish, their players would be as loyal to them as Kaberle and Sundin were/are to us. Granted, it can turn against a team like it did with Sundin, but I'd rather have players hanging onto their team in all situations compared to other situations, where teams can't sign their own players, because they want to leave badly or where they do anyhting for a trade.

If only our management wouldn't have sigend that many ntc/nmv-clauses ...

But think about situations like Yashin, Healtey or the situation in European soccer, isn't that a bigger threat to most teams?

The Nic 09-11-2009 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salsabil (Post 21049287)
Great article.

Howard Berger is a tool!

02m3smg 09-11-2009 08:09 AM

That was a ****** book. I'm glad I got my $19.67 back from Chapters. :laugh:

That said the only interesting parts in the book was the section on PPP (I was surprised!) and the blue and white disease part rings true, but only a few were affected by that.

ToddRundgren 09-11-2009 08:58 AM

Hey all, Bruins fan here. That was a funny article. I actually came over to see if you guys thought Kaberle would consider waiving his no trade clause to come to the Bruins.

Yeah, I know salary-wise it wouldn't work easily, but other guys could be moved to make it possible. Kaberle's a very good player and would be a great addition to Boston.

But after reading his quotes, I guess he has no desire to leave Toronto.

mcphllp 09-11-2009 09:27 AM

terrible article.

ULF_55 09-11-2009 09:32 AM

You have to understand, Berger would switch sides in a war if he thought the other side was winning.

In Burger's world Germany/Finland/Norway/... wouldn't have a National Hockey team because all the players would quit to play for Canada or Russia, whichever team had the best shot at winning.

Berger would rather be the 5th. man on a 4 man winning relay team than the 4th. man on the silver medal team so he could brag about winning Gold.

Christ 09-11-2009 09:52 AM

A good article by Berger? I don't believe it, the guy is one of the biggest tools a Toronto Sports media that resembles nothing more then a giant toolshead. Greatest Berger memory was the interview between him and Wilson where Wilson publically tore him apart for deliberatly misquoting him.:laugh:

mooseOAK* 09-11-2009 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salsabil (Post 21049287)
Great article.

Stupid me, I took your recommendation.
Kaberle not waiving his NTC has absolutely nothing to do with him still being a Leaf because Burke had his chance to trade him but didn't want to.

RyanMac 09-11-2009 10:18 AM

I'll never understand how personal the hate is some people have for Berger. He obviously tries to incite a reaction from people with his work/columns, but it's so obvious that I could just never see myself making my opinion of him "personal". But some people on here literally want to punch this guy in the face. It's insane.

ULF_55 09-11-2009 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan MacLeod (Post 21051126)
I'll never understand how personal the hate is some people have for Berger. He obviously tries to incite a reaction from people with his work/columns, but it's so obvious that I could just never see myself making my opinion of him "personal". But some people on here literally want to punch this guy in the face. It's insane.

Naw. We just treat him like he treats players, with disrespect.

It isn't like he's an embedded reporter taking any risk or paying any price for his opinions.