HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Columbus Blue Jackets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Recommendations on the most practical way for me to watch the jackets this year? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=679907)

double shift filatov* 09-12-2009 01:14 AM

Recommendations on the most practical way for me to watch the jackets this year?

Hi guys! I don't have cable, and as an apartment dweller Dish and Direct TV are out. The only reason I'd get cable is to then get the Center Ice Package. At $60 a month through Time Warner just for cable, I'm having trouble justifying all these purchases just for the Jackets. I looked into the online center ice package, but as you may know they blackout local games. :shakehead:rant:

Anybody have any suggestions as to what might be the smartest way to go about checking out my Jackets this season? I'm in Akron fwiw.

Thanks!

1857 Howitzer 09-12-2009 01:43 AM

Do you know someone out of state that can sign up for gamecenter for you?

Robert 09-12-2009 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by double shift filatov (Post 21061404)
Hi guys! I don't have cable, and as an apartment dweller Dish and Direct TV are out. The only reason I'd get cable is to then get the Center Ice Package. At $60 a month through Time Warner just for cable, I'm having trouble justifying all these purchases just for the Jackets. I looked into the online center ice package, but as you may know they blackout local games. :shakehead:rant:

Anybody have any suggestions as to what might be the smartest way to go about checking out my Jackets this season? I'm in Akron fwiw.

Thanks!

Welcome rookie, your post was not completely clear but it sounds like you are forced to use an antenna for TV... If that's the case, and you don't go to the games in the Arena, you will have to settle for the recaps in the newspaper the next day; unless the Jackets make the conference finals which will be on NBC.

hashmarks 09-12-2009 07:38 AM

Sports bar with center ice? Seek a friend who has center ice and offer to pay a small fee to go over to his/her house to watch a game?

frito 09-12-2009 08:42 AM

You can get the basic cable that has Fox Sports and watch most of the games on there. No need for center ice. I think it should be less than the $60 you mentioned. the only downside is the CBJ will be second fiddle to the Cavs when they play on the same nights.

EDIT: Throough whom do you have your internet access? You may be able to bargain for a cheaper rate if you bundle your internet and your cable.

Happy Pony 09-12-2009 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frito (Post 21062599)
You can get the basic cable that has Fox Sports and watch most of the games on there. No need for center ice. I think it should be less than the $60 you mentioned. the only downside is the CBJ will be second fiddle to the Cavs when they play on the same nights.

EDIT: Throough whom do you have your internet access? You may be able to bargain for a cheaper rate if you bundle your internet and your cable.

Or call and just make some **** up. Say Dish/Directv or WOW or whoever has offered you a great deal but you'd like to go with the company you have internet through because you've enjoyed your service. They'll most likely try to make a deal.

Viqsi 09-12-2009 09:27 AM

If you don't mind paying for something legally dubious, there's always hockeystreams.com - a few folks here (*cough*cough*skraut*cough*) who got tired of trying to see Jackets games instead of Cavs games are looking into it. I've used it for the past year (mostly to pick up non-Jackets games) and it's reasonably decent, and zero blackouts.

Cons are that there are occasional mishaps in setting up the stream (i.e. sometimes they forget to change the channel ;) ) and, of course, it's paying good money for something that the NHL might not be too fond of.

Just a thought. :)

FlaggerX 09-12-2009 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frito (Post 21062599)

He's in Akron. They have FSN Ohio there but that network also handles local Cavs broadcast so whenever there's a conflict the Jackets lose. The only way to get all the Jackets games up there is Center Ice. Or a sports bar with multiple TVs. I'd do the latter, just plan to get food, try and bring a couple people and maybe even make friends. Another alternative might be to try and get together a a local Jackets group, though I really have no idea where you begin there.

But Good luck and hope tosee you at the game.

Feicht 09-12-2009 10:20 AM

I'd say just do hockeystreams.com. I'm probably going to do that again just so I don't have an anyeurism when basketball season starts.

frito 09-12-2009 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlaggerX (Post 21063129)
He's in Akron. They have FSN Ohio there but that network also handles local Cavs broadcast so whenever there's a conflict the Jackets lose. The only way to get all the Jackets games up there is Center Ice. Or a sports bar with multiple TVs. I'd do the latter, just plan to get food, try and bring a couple people and maybe even make friends. Another alternative might be to try and get together a a local Jackets group, though I really have no idea where you begin there.

But Good luck and hope tosee you at the game.

Exactly, which is why I pointed out that CBJ will play second fiddle to the Cavs. He'll lose on nights when there is a conflict but should be able to watch otherwise. Now, I don't know how many conflicts there will be.

frickin dannie 09-12-2009 03:56 PM

http://atdhe.net/

Not a bad option, it's a little clunky but it's free. I watched some Coyotes games on it last season.

Fred Glover 09-12-2009 05:33 PM

Either get Center Ice, its worth it, or move to Central Ohio and commute to Akron

Skraut 09-12-2009 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred Glover (Post 21069907)
Either get Center Ice, its worth it, or move to Central Ohio and commute to Akron

He can't get Center Ice, Jackets games are Blacked out in NorthEast Ohio.

Fred Glover 09-12-2009 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skraut (Post 21070042)
He can't get Center Ice, Jackets games are Blacked out in NorthEast Ohio.

A poor attempt at humor, so forgive me.

Center Ice is the best bet for games, well worth the cash

If all else fails, try the computer, as the previous posts have given excellent web sites

Feicht 09-12-2009 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frickin dannie (Post 21068704)
http://atdhe.net/

Not a bad option, it's a little clunky but it's free. I watched some Coyotes games on it last season.

It's really unreliable though, unfortunately. Also at some point they got slammed with a lawsuit or something and didn't have NHL games anymore (not sure if this is still the case, because I subscribed to hockeystreams.com after that).

leesmith 09-12-2009 07:40 PM

What century is this?!?

Skraut 09-12-2009 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leesmith (Post 21071224)
What century is this?!?

The century of digital rights management and media control.

frickin dannie 09-12-2009 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feicht (Post 21070904)
It's really unreliable though, unfortunately. Also at some point they got slammed with a lawsuit or something and didn't have NHL games anymore (not sure if this is still the case, because I subscribed to hockeystreams.com after that).

Really? That sucks. I only watched the Yotes for half the season, once the only reason I watched got sent down I quit using the site, but it was nice to have.

double shift filatov* 09-13-2009 05:15 AM

Thanks guys. I called Time Warner just to clarify, and yep, 60 a month for their cheapest cable package. Yuck. I hate monopolies. :rant::rant:

I've looked through all the online options pretty careful, and I don't know where I'm at yet.

Thanks again for all your practical advice. It'll probably be a game time decision where I get so excited for the puck to drop I go ahead and spend money I don't have and get TWC anyway.
:)

Inquiring Minds 09-13-2009 09:06 AM

Too bad you're in Akron. For $60/month you could be going to 6 games/month, on the Huntington green seats. Or the college rush deal.

double shift filatov* 09-13-2009 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inquiring Minds (Post 21075628)
Too bad you're in Akron. For $60/month you could be going to 6 games/month, on the Huntington green seats. Or the college rush deal.

exactly dude. Hell, 2.5 hours each way, it still might be cheaper.

Friedrich 09-14-2009 05:38 AM

sixty bucks doesn't seem right. If it's digial cable they are trying to sell, there are packages below that like the basic package that includes like sixty channels including FSO. For sixty bucks you might just want to get a subscription on hockeystreams.com, because unlike Columbus, in Akron Cavs games are higher on the local programming hierarchy and will play over CBJ games, so there you'll only be able to see about half of the seventy-five aired games that are aired in the Columbus area. Cincinnati is in a similiar situation, I hear.

frickin dannie 09-14-2009 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugg (Post 21087242)
sixty bucks doesn't seem right. If it's digial cable they are trying to sell, there are packages below that like the basic package that includes like sixty channels including FSO. For sixty bucks you might just want to get a subscription on hockeystreams.com, because unlike Columbus, in Akron Cavs games are higher on the local programming hierarchy and will play over CBJ games, so there you'll only be able to see about half of the seventy-five aired games that are aired in the Columbus area. Cincinnati is in a similiar situation, I hear.

Cincinnati gets almost all of them until April, when the Reds start, then they get bumped to some weird unused channel. Except for like one time I think there was some kind of college basketball tourney on that bumped them in Cincy.

Porkopolis 09-15-2009 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frickin dannie (Post 21094262)
Cincinnati gets almost all of them until April, when the Reds start, then they get bumped to some weird unused channel. Except for like one time I think there was some kind of college basketball tourney on that bumped them in Cincy.

Even then, I was able to get them on yet another weird, unused channel.

$60 seems really high. Here in Cincinnati I am paying a combined total of $104 for premium-level broadband and the highest level of digital HD package (with no movie channels) and the sports package. And it is guaranteed for two years. Of course, when I lived in Cleveland we payed an obscene amount for Adelphia and lived where we couldn't get a LOS for a dish. Then they continued to autobill us even after we cancelled via every possible method. Geesh. I feel your pain.

double shift filatov* 09-15-2009 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porkopolis (Post 21101862)
Even then, I was able to get them on yet another weird, unused channel.

$60 seems really high. Here in Cincinnati I am paying a combined total of $104 for premium-level broadband and the highest level of digital HD package (with no movie channels) and the sports package. And it is guaranteed for two years. Of course, when I lived in Cleveland we payed an obscene amount for Adelphia and lived where we couldn't get a LOS for a dish. Then they continued to autobill us even after we cancelled via every possible method. Geesh. I feel your pain.

Yep. I guess 2 hour wait times to speak to half-literate non-english speakers and fees doubling dish is a captured market for virtually all apartment dwellers who can't get a dish. Monopolies really are gross.

To clarify, there is an 18 a month bare bones package that gets like 14 channels, but 60 a month plus tax is the price for digital. Unfortunately, you have to have digital in order to be able to order the NHL Center Ice Package. I called last night just to clarify. Sucks.