HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Florida Panthers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   2009-2010 News Around the NHL thread (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=680610)

Acadmus 09-14-2009 10:24 AM

2009-2010 News Around the NHL thread

This thread is for non-Panthers news that happens in the NHL, to keep people from starting a new thread for every story they personally think is "interesting":sarcasm:

zeroG 09-14-2009 12:35 PM

just got back from the first of 2 public practices for the Bs at the "gahden" today. here's a shot of julien talking to the "chief" (you all better know who that is), who stopped by to see a bit of the session.

interestingly, thornton was running the drills on D.

pb1300 09-14-2009 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeroG (Post 21089848)
just got back from the first of 2 public practices for the Bs at the "gahden" today. here's a shot of julien talking to the "chief" (you all better know who that is), who stopped by to see a bit of the session.

interestingly, thornton was running the drills on D.

Man, thats the only thing that I miss from the States...LIVE HOCKEY :cry:

zeroG 09-14-2009 03:37 PM

not sure if folks know this or not but drew larman is in camp with the Bs. he was there at the 2nd practice. i knew we hadn't retained him but wasn't sure where he landed.

Panteras 09-14-2009 03:40 PM

will rask be thomas' backup?

Acadmus 09-16-2009 04:27 PM

Holy crap, has anyone else heard about this?!?!

http://www.winnipegsun.com/sports/ho...59116-sun.html

angry_treefrog 09-16-2009 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acadmus (Post 21121983)
Holy crap, has anyone else heard about this?!?!

http://www.winnipegsun.com/sports/ho...59116-sun.html

Ya gotta love government bureaucrats. :help:

Panthers/Leafs fan 09-16-2009 06:08 PM

I'd read this a while ago. It's more 9/11 fallout and I'm pretty sure they'll work it out. It doesn't just affect us but MLB and the NBA too.

Panthers/Leafs fan 09-16-2009 06:13 PM

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...938901-ap.html

Wow, no sooner do I mention it but they get right on it and take care of it. :laugh:

Got anything else you need clearing up? Five minutes isn't bad!

Dread Clawz 09-16-2009 06:19 PM

Someone on the main board suggested this is more a pro-union stance from the U.S. government, as this administration is very unionist. It had been an unspoken agreement for years, even though it was technically illegal. Then all of a sudden, new administration and a clamp down on the rules. I think the Canadian government only responded in kind after the U.S.(FAA) initiated it. It won't really affect the Southeast and Atlantic divisions too much, but the other divisions will be really affected by this. Especially the Northeast and Northwest, it'll be hell for them if there's no resolution.

Dread Clawz 09-16-2009 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panthers/Leafs fan (Post 21123333)
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...938901-ap.html

Wow, no sooner do I mention it but they get right on it and take care of it. :laugh:

Got anything else you need clearing up? Five minutes isn't bad!

LOL I was too late. That's cool. Though, it does scare me that the people who enforce these policies don't plan ahead and couldn't have foreseen this. It's not just sports teams, it's other entertainers as well. Like....DUH.:help:

angry_treefrog 09-16-2009 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules (Post 21123475)
it does scare me that the people who enforce these policies don't plan ahead and couldn't have foreseen this

I think you could say that about a great many things these days.

Dread Clawz 09-16-2009 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angry_treefrog (Post 21129485)
I think you could say that about a great many things these days.

True, it does seem like we just get dumber and dumber.

zeroG 09-17-2009 12:27 AM

since nobody's mentioned it, how about mac's duece (1g 1a) in his TB debut?

Acadmus 09-17-2009 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules (Post 21129674)
True, it does seem like we just get dumber and dumber.

Which is why some of us think the less the government runs, the better.:D At least when businessmen and private individuals make mistakes, they usually pay for it. Bureaucrats just get passed over for the next promotion.

I forgot the name of the "law" from my public administration class, but there is a principle of management that applies heavily to bureaucracies where people will rise within an organization to the point at which they are incompetent, then that's where they stay.

Clint 09-17-2009 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acadmus (Post 21132192)

I forgot the name of the "law" from my public administration class, but there is a principle of management that applies heavily to bureaucracies where people will rise within an organization to the point at which they are incompetent, then that's where they stay.

The Peter Principle. "In a hierarchy every employee will rise to his own level of incompetence." It also applies to private business.

zeroG 09-17-2009 09:49 AM

:biglaugh:

let me correct that for you. holy...

Acadmus 09-17-2009 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeroG (Post 21132647)
:biglaugh:

let me correct that for you. holy...

But I'd only ask you, WHY do we end up paying for it??? Oh, yes...the boys in Washington...so I'm still right;)

Anyway, there was a rules change a couple months ago you should be aware of, and according to Buffaloed it's an absolute: No altering quotes. If you quote a post, you are allowed to clip it for the part that's relevant, but you're no longer allowed to alter what was quoted. I argued against that, but he's the boss. Check the board rules for the change.

Acadmus 09-17-2009 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clint (Post 21132511)
The Peter Principle. "In a hierarchy every employee will rise to his own level of incompetence." It also applies to private business.

Thank you, Mr. "I graduated much more recently than you did";) I'd long since forgotten the name of it.

zeroG 09-17-2009 09:54 AM

what the heck - i can't quote??? for the love of...

my post above was an attempt to heckle acadmus. i mean that's a pretty funny statement in light of what's currently going on - government (e.g. taxpayer) bailouts of whole industries due to incompetence, negligence, and even malevolence. this is by no means limited to public sector.

Acadmus 09-17-2009 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clint (Post 21132511)

Only business that grows to the size where it has a substantial management, by the way. In effect, it creates its own bureaucracy, and people in those businesses also tend to avoid accountability.

The only difference is that a boss can hold them accountable and fire them at a whim in most states, whereas they can't do that in government due to tenure.:shakehead

zeroG 09-17-2009 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acadmus (Post 21132677)
But I'd only ask you, WHY do we end up paying for it??? Oh, yes...the boys in Washington...so I'm still right;)

Anyway, there was a rules change a couple months ago you should be aware of, and according to Buffaloed it's an absolute: No altering quotes. If you quote a post, you are allowed to clip it for the part that's relevant, but you're no longer allowed to alter what was quoted. I argued against that, but he's the boss. Check the board rules for the change.

oh, that's classic acad!

thanks for the heads up on the rule change. why can't i delete my (now) meaningless post?

zeroG 09-17-2009 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acadmus (Post 21132711)
Only business that grows to the size where it has a substantial management, by the way. In effect, it creates its own bureaucracy, and people in those businesses also tend to avoid accountability.

The only difference is that a boss can hold them accountable and fire them at a whim in most states, whereas they can't do that in government due to tenure.:shakehead

iow, almost every single corporation. and the difference is that instead of coasting a bit on the public's dime, mgmt in the private sector is trying to figure out how to squeeze every last ounce of profit out of potential, even creating potential where it should not exist. that's where the negligence and malevolence comes into play. of course, as part of a large bureaucracy, they are able to avoid accountability. moreover, they most likely have deluded themselves into thinking they are not doing evil or perhaps even actually doing good.

with regulation, the markets are great but let's not kid ourselves - they also provide an opportunity for the worst in human nature to fester.

Acadmus 09-17-2009 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeroG (Post 21132769)
iow, almost every single corporation. and the difference is that instead of coasting a bit on the public's dime, mgmt in the private sector is trying to figure out how to squeeze every last ounce of profit out of potential, even creating potential where it should not exist. that's where the negligence and malevolence comes into play. of course, as part of a large bureaucracy, they are able to avoid accountability. moreover, they most likely have deluded themselves into thinking they are not doing evil or perhaps even actually doing good.

with regulation, the markets are great but let's not kid ourselves - they also provide an opportunity for the worst in human nature to fester.

It's a double edged sword. No doubt, the corporation has its flaws...but let's face facts, the corporation only exists so that people can get money from other people (investors) to grow a business to epic proportions without having to be personally accountable for any debts they generate. But by doing that they are capable of growing to deliver goods and services to the broadest number of people. But all true business has a profit motive, which in itself is not evil...the problem is when the individual holds his own importance above that of the corporation.

Which is the main reason I don't like to work for large corporations - they're collectivistic ********;)

Government, meanwhile, is a bunch of leeches draining society and trying to grow their own power bases to control people.:D They produce nothing, but take all they can. But sometimes they have to justify their own worthless jobs, and that's when they do the most harm to the rest of us.

I'm off topic, aren't I? All right, I'll let you guys make the responses you'll want to make then we need to drop this from this particular board...sorry for dragging it off.

Panthers/Leafs fan 09-17-2009 10:21 AM

Acadmus wrote:

Quote:

I'm off topic, aren't I?
Yes sir, yes, you are! Now punish yourself! :)

(as an aside, if...and I don't believe it's going to happen...but if we don't make the playoffs this year, let's open up a thread so we can talk about things non-hockey and rant and rave, insult each other, and thus make the summer go by faster.