HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Tampa Bay Lightning (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   OT: Around the NHL (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=681404)

gobolt7 09-16-2009 03:51 PM

Around the NHL

With the games starting, and news all over the place, it may not be a bad idea to have a thread dedicated to news from around the league. If one of our awesome, overworked, underpaid mods could sticky this, I would be forever greatful.

I will kick it off, apparently Elias is out 4-6 weeks after surgery, the latter end of that time table has him out opening night against us.

TheDaysOf 04 09-17-2009 12:57 PM

Thrashers have invited Afinogenov to their camp for a tryout

Still All In 09-17-2009 02:39 PM

I thought they were going to sign Zherdev!?!?!

:sarcasm:

gobolt7 09-17-2009 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobsled Gainey (Post 21135834)
I thought they were going to sign Zherdev!?!?!

:sarcasm:

All the money is tied up in the Kovy talks! :p:

TheDaysOf 04 09-23-2009 01:27 PM

Bryan McCabe is the new captain of the Panthers

IdealisticSniper 09-23-2009 03:25 PM

Kolzig officially retires.

gobolt7 09-30-2009 11:16 AM

Cam Ward, 6 years, 37.8 million.

Another case of a player that got hot at the right time cashing in.

Hockeyfan02 09-30-2009 12:15 PM

Well Ward has done well in two playoff appearances (4-0 in game 7's) and his stats have improved each year. He's still 25 so he's not in his prime yet so it's a good deal for Carolina. Maybe overpaid a little, but goaltending isn't a position to go cheap on.

gobolt7 09-30-2009 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockeyfan02 (Post 21340548)
Well Ward has done well in two playoff appearances (4-0 in game 7's) and his stats have improved each year. He's still 25 so he's not in his prime yet so it's a good deal for Carolina. Maybe overpaid a little, but goaltending isn't a position to go cheap on.

A goaltender that has had back issues, on a team that has struggled with consistancy (lets not forget, there were times last year where it was not a sure thing they were even getting in the postseason) is worth 6+ for 6 years? More then overpaid a little...

Hockeyfan02 09-30-2009 12:41 PM

He's a top 10 goalie in the league and along with Staal is their franchise. He's more than proven himself to be a goalie that can take Carolina deep in the playoffs. If he were to hit the market, he'd probably get a contract similar to that. You have to overpay to keep franchise players long term(we've been doing that since the lockout) unless you're Detroit and can Jedi mindtrick guys in to taking less. I'd rather give Ward that type of money knowing what he can do rather than a guy like Huet. It's Carolina so I hope this turns out to be a bad contract for them, but I think Ward is a guy worthy of a long term deal like that.

Still All In 09-30-2009 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockeyfan02 (Post 21341036)
He's a top 10 goalie in the league and along with Staal is their franchise. He's more than proven himself to be a goalie that can take Carolina deep in the playoffs. If he were to hit the market, he'd probably get a contract similar to that. You have to overpay to keep franchise players long term(we've been doing that since the lockout) unless you're Detroit and can Jedi mindtrick guys in to taking less. I'd rather give Ward that type of money knowing what he can do rather than a guy like Huet. It's Carolina so I hope this turns out to be a bad contract for them, but I think Ward is a guy worthy of a long term deal like that.

I disagree that hes top ten, but when it counts (playoffs), hes dynamite.

Still All In 09-30-2009 02:08 PM

So, waiver claims and disgruntled players...

Kostitsyn is interesting.

Still All In 10-01-2009 07:32 PM

Haha, Montreal looks terrible right now.

Doctor Drej 10-01-2009 09:37 PM

ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh is it Saturday yet?

Still All In 10-01-2009 09:45 PM

Haha, Komisarek is such a ****ing retard.

Sear91 10-01-2009 10:13 PM

Well, Washington stomped Boston...

gobolt7 10-02-2009 12:16 AM

7 goals in a game that has Luongo and Kipper as your starting goalies, doubt many people took the over on that one...

PanthersRule96 10-02-2009 12:22 AM

Nashville placed Cal O'Reilly on waivers to send him to Milwaukee. I skated with him over summer a couple years ago and have followed his progress. He's a really smart player who is defensively responsible. I wish we would claim him because look at the stats he's put up in the AHL and in limited action in the NHL. Unreal hands, great vision, and can take care of his own end. Reminds me a lot of Weiss and I think he will become a top 6 forward.

gobolt7 10-02-2009 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 (Post 21373987)
Nashville placed Cal O'Reilly on waivers to send him to Milwaukee. I skated with him over summer a couple years ago and have followed his progress. He's a really smart player who is defensively responsible. I wish we would claim him because look at the stats he's put up in the AHL and in limited action in the NHL. Unreal hands, great vision, and can take care of his own end. Reminds me a lot of Weiss and I think he will become a top 6 forward.

Good to hear, thanks for stopping by! :huh:

In other news, someone in the greater Tampa area will be thrilled tonight, David Koci dropped the gloves.

TheDaysOf 04 10-02-2009 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 (Post 21373987)

I believe you posted in the wrong forum.

Tokala 10-02-2009 03:23 PM

Canadiens lose Andrei Markov for 4 months with a torn tendon suffered in the 3rd period of their season opener.

Still All In 10-02-2009 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokala (Post 21383638)
Canadiens lose Andrei Markov for 4 months with a torn tendon suffered in the 3rd period of their season opener.

First bright light of the year for us. Hate to see the guy get hurt but it obviously helps us in the standings.

Felonious Python 10-05-2009 10:58 AM

GD. First my favorite player, Shanahan, says he's taking the season off, and now my interim favorite and heir to the throne Erik Cole is out 4-6 weeks. Most notable because the only time I'm seeing Carolina in person this season is on Saturday.

I don't even have a clear favorite third on my depth chart. I'll need to name an acting favorite player before too long, at least to keep the peasants from growing restless. Now this can't be just anybody, it needs to be someone who can handle the responsibilities and privileges that go along with being my favorite player.

Still All In 10-05-2009 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Felonious Python (Post 21434244)
GD. First my favorite player, Shanahan, says he's taking the season off, and now my interim favorite and heir to the throne Erik Cole is out 4-6 weeks. Most notable because the only time I'm seeing Carolina in person this season is on Saturday.

I don't even have a clear favorite third on my depth chart. I'll need to name an acting favorite player before too long, at least to keep the peasants from growing restless. Now this can't be just anybody, it needs to be someone who can handle the responsibilities and privileges that go along with being my favorite player.

This post screams Zenon Konopka.

gobolt7 10-05-2009 09:32 PM

Prospal with a 3 point game...prepare for the "ZOMG Lawton is an idiot, Tamper Bay shouldnt have gotten rid of him" posts.