HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Another defenseman? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=681487)

Johnny Utah 09-16-2009 06:57 PM

Another defenseman?

We all know Lombardi has his eyes out for a #6 D man.....He told a fan over at LGK that it is a battle between Drewiske and Hickey, but if neither of those 2 step up or they think Hickey needs a full year in the AHL, what about one of Toronto's D?

I am watching the game with the Bruins and they have 10 NHL defenseman....Komisarek, Schenn, Beachumein, and Kaberle are probably not going anywhere but White, Van Ryan, Exelby, and Finger could probably be had for a small price....Finger is expensive, but Van Ryan is decent, (big contract too), Exelby is a min Gauthier and White is versatile.

JDM 09-16-2009 06:59 PM

I think we are good. Exelby isn't enough of a vet for me to want to bring him in over Drewiske or Hickey. VanRyn is the only one I might consider, but only for peanuts.

SFKingshomer 09-16-2009 07:02 PM

Ian White is very underrated.

Johnny Utah 09-16-2009 07:03 PM

You have to look at this way too, O'Donnell is what, 37, and they want to cut back his minutes...so you have really young guys, Johnson, Doughty, possibly Hickey and older guys like Scuderi and OD....with Matt Greene the only guy in the middle....Even if Hickey makes it, wouldn't it be nice to have that veteran spare guy like a Mike Weaver type? Not fair or good for the development to make Drewiske sit as the #7, he will probably go to Manchester and get top minutes if he doesn't make the Kings...Does Harrold become the #7 then at that point?

Randart 09-16-2009 07:05 PM

Agreed...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDM (Post 21125148)
I think we are good. Exelby isn't enough of a vet for me to want to bring him in over Drewiske or Hickey. VanRyn is the only one I might consider, but only for peanuts.

I was thinking along similar lines I like Van Ryn alot... But we are talking Bryan Burke here! He considers himself a slick and sly guy who we beat out of Brayden at the draft... Do you think peanuts would get us anything really? I doubt Burke wants to chat to DL much right now. Just my thoughts on this, also like Davis and Hickey to get a shot on the team. Which is what was mentioned by the org recently.

And as far as Petey Harold goes the much beloved by our coach and GM... I just hope he is relagated to being the emergency back up maybe #8 defenseman or even #9...

Reaper45 09-16-2009 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDM (Post 21125148)

How dare you leave me out of the kurrilino fan club.

JDM 09-16-2009 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Utah (Post 21125226)
You have to look at this way too, O'Donnell is what, 37, and they want to cut back his minutes...so you have really young guys, Johnson, Doughty, possibly Hickey and older guys like Scuderi and OD....with Matt Greene the only guy in the middle....Even if Hickey makes it, wouldn't it be nice to have that veteran spare guy like a Mike Weaver type? Not fair or good for the development to make Drewiske sit as the #7, he will probably go to Manchester and get top minutes if he doesn't make the Kings...Does Harrold become the #7 then at that point?

While I wouldn't be surprised to see both Hickey and Drewiske on the team, I agree that an extra vet would be good. But Exelby isn't that and Finger and VanRyn fit the mold are just too damn expensive for that role. I do like White, but I think he'd be too expensive in a trade.

JDM 09-16-2009 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper45 (Post 21125293)
How dare you leave me out of the kurrilino fan club.

I just went by people who mentioned it in the training camp thread. Anyone and everyone is welcome... but too many and I won't have room for quote of the week!

... I don't understand why the signature only shows up in half my posts.

Reaper45 09-16-2009 07:10 PM

Don't count out Vancouver, they have a ton of defensemen as well.

Baumgartner, Bieksa, Edler, Ehrhoff, Lukowich, Mitchell, Nycholat, O'Brien, Salo, Schneider.

JDM 09-16-2009 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper45 (Post 21125383)

Baumgartner, Bieksa, Edler, Ehrhoff, Lukowich, Mitchell, Nycholat, O'Brien, Salo, Schneider.

Lukowich is the kind of acquisition I would expect.

Omni Owl 09-16-2009 07:52 PM

He's not a vet, but I wouldn't mind someone like Anton Babchuk and his shot from the point. Ian White seems like a decent option too.

The Tikkanen 09-16-2009 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper45 (Post 21125383)

Schneider may not be ready to start the season.

Johnny Utah 09-16-2009 08:00 PM

Baumgartner and Nycolat are borderline AHL/NHL guys...the top 6 is def Bieksa, Scheidner, Salo, Mitchell, O'Brien, and Erhoff....Edler and Lukowich are the guys that should be in the mix and prob will get dealt....

Reaper45 09-16-2009 08:03 PM

Just bring back Gauthier and get it over with.

Kings man 4 life 09-16-2009 08:09 PM

What about Kyle Quincey....oh wait. I'm going to miss that guy

SFKingshomer 09-16-2009 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Utah (Post 21126595)
Baumgartner and Nycolat are borderline AHL/NHL guys...the top 6 is def Bieksa, Scheidner, Salo, Mitchell, O'Brien, and Erhoff....Edler and Lukowich are the guys that should be in the mix and prob will get dealt....

Edler's their best defenseman and will play top pairing. I think Salo will get dealt if they can find a taker.

Johnny Utah 09-16-2009 08:14 PM

Yeah Kings lost Quincey and Gauthier and only replaced them with Scuderi.....That other spot is still vacant....Hickey is only 20 and has 7 games of AHL experience, Drewiske is just too much like Scuderi....Kings could use a guy who is either really physical or can play on the power play with Doughty, Johnson and Stoll on the 2nd unit.

JDM 09-16-2009 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Utah (Post 21126963)
Yeah Kings lost Quincey and Gauthier and only replaced them with Scuderi.....That other spot is still vacant....Hickey is only 20 and has 7 games of AHL experience, Drewiske is just too much like Scuderi....Kings could use a guy who is either really physical or can play on the power play with Doughty, Johnson and Stoll on the 2nd unit.

That's not quite fair, Drewiske had much better offensive instincts than Scuderi. He plays a safe game, but he can also man the point.

Johnny Utah 09-16-2009 08:21 PM

He had 14 points in 60 games in the AHL last year? Not very much offense....Even Voynov had more points...and he is only 19.

JDM 09-16-2009 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Utah (Post 21127136)
He had 14 points in 60 games in the AHL last year? Not very much offense....Even Voynov had more points...and he is only 19.

I think that is more a product of him playing the role of defensive defenseman. I think he has offensive skill, but it typically too safe to care to use it much, but I see some talent there.

He didn't look out of place on the point on the PP at the end of last year.

That's all really. Scuderi is someone I don't think you could ever really use offensively, but I think Drewiske is, even if he would make the safe play most of the time.

The Tikkanen 09-16-2009 08:30 PM

Luke Richardson is a UFA still! So is Chelios.

johnjm22 09-16-2009 08:44 PM

UFA Defensemen
Helmer, Bryan
Heward, Jamie
MacKenzie, Aaron
Richardson, Luke
Mojzis, Tomas
Lee, Chris
Niskala, Janne
Bouillon, Francis
Semenov, Alexei
Chelios, Chris
Brisebois, Patrice
Malik, Marek
Bergeron, Marc-Andre
Gauthier, Denis
De Vries, Greg
Warrener, Rhett

Defensemen Currently on Try Outs
Sydor, Darryl
Backman, Christian
Skoula, Martin
Dandenault, Mathieu
Cullimore, Jassen

I thought Seidenberg would have been a good option. He signed with Florida for 1 year at 2.25M.

The Tikkanen 09-16-2009 08:51 PM

Malik has the best shot by a dman in a shootout to date. I was lucky enough to be watching that game on Center Ice. Man has his career gone downhill fast.

Reaper45 09-16-2009 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnjm22 (Post 21127718)
UFA Defensemen
Helmer, Bryan
Heward, Jamie
MacKenzie, Aaron
Richardson, Luke
Mojzis, Tomas
Lee, Chris
Niskala, Janne
Bouillon, Francis
Semenov, Alexei
Chelios, Chris
Brisebois, Patrice
Malik, Marek
Bergeron, Marc-Andre
Gauthier, Denis
De Vries, Greg
Warrener, Rhett

Defensemen Currently on Try Outs
Sydor, Darryl
Backman, Christian
Skoula, Martin
Dandenault, Mathieu
Cullimore, Jassen

I thought Seidenberg would have been a good option. He signed with Florida for 1 year at 2.25M.

The return of Jamie Heward?

Johnny Utah 09-16-2009 08:57 PM

All those guys suck...it will have to be trade...Maybe De Vries...