HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Columbus Blue Jackets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Target: Bieksa (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=681836)

wizworm 09-17-2009 07:42 PM

Target: Bieksa

We all know Howson's #1 priority at the moment is to find a right hand shot defensemen that can play the point on the PP. Just wondering what everyone thought of Bieksa? I think he'd be a pretty good fit.

He's signed through 2010-11 at $3.75M. He's got a great shot, plays physical would make a good addition IMO. With the recent moves Vancouver has made on their blue line they may be willing to listen to offers for him.

The only downside is that he is kind of injury prone. Still, I think he'd be a good fit. I'm not sure what we'd have to give up to get him though. Vancouver needs some physical forwards so they might have interest in Torres. Not sure what else Columbus would have to give up though.

Thoughts? Who is YOUR target you think Howson should go after?

Thingamajig 09-17-2009 07:54 PM

Getting cut by a skate in the back of the Leg is injury prone ?

wizworm 09-17-2009 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squidz (Post 21141517)
Getting cut by a skate in the back of the Leg is injury prone ?

Huh. You've got a point. For some reason I thought he was more injury prone than I thought. Just did a quick search on his injury history and the calf injury was the only one he missed significant time with. I wonder why I had the wrong impression?

Anyway, than the fact he is pretty durable is even better. He's my top guy I'd want Howson to go after but I doubt Vancouver would be willing to move him.

FlaggerX 09-17-2009 08:08 PM

It's pretty simple. We have a major, major logjam at forward that looks to only get worse with all the talent buzzing around the roster. Some NHL forwards are likely to end up in Syracuse. And we need at least one more NHL defenseman.

So the scenario is this: Who needs forwards, has defensive depth and a salary cap problem? There's your trading partner.

Viqsi 09-17-2009 08:39 PM

Hon, you might as well have put up "Target: Boyle", or "Target: Lidstrom", or whatever. Unless Gillis is really, really drunk when you get him on the phone, Bieksa is among the last assets he would trade. He's part of their young core. It'd be like asking Howson to give up Voracek or something.

It's akin to Pittsburgh fans thinking Nash would be a great fit over there with Crosby. Yes, that is indeed a true statement... but it's also Not Gonna Happen.

Viqsi 09-17-2009 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlaggerX (Post 21141806)
It's pretty simple. We have a major, major logjam at forward that looks to only get worse with all the talent buzzing around the roster. Some NHL forwards are likely to end up in Syracuse. And we need at least one more NHL defenseman.

So the scenario is this: Who needs forwards, has defensive depth and a salary cap problem? There's your trading partner.

That's kind of oversimplifying the situation. The only team I know of that actually meets all of these qualities you list is Edmonton - and they end up failing because of an issue you didn't note. The forwards they need are of the top-6 variety, which we don't currently have to spare. (We have possible top 6 forwards, but they want actual).

Toronto is also in a similar situation w/r/t too many defensemen and not enough forwards, although they don't have a serious salary cap problem. I still think a Modin-Van Ryn swap would be damn near perfect for both teams, but nobody seems to agree with me. :cry: ;)

punk_o_holic 09-17-2009 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizworm (Post 21141756)
Huh. You've got a point. For some reason I thought he was more injury prone than I thought. Just did a quick search on his injury history and the calf injury was the only one he missed significant time with. I wonder why I had the wrong impression?
Anyway, than the fact he is pretty durable is even better. He's my top guy I'd want Howson to go after but I doubt Vancouver would be willing to move him.

Maybe you were thinking of his teammate, Sami Salo. He's another solid offensive defensemen but he seems to be injured every year from his days in Ottawa to now.

Peter Griffin 09-17-2009 10:05 PM

Bieksa is more or less the Canucks #1 overall d-man, although I see Edler passing him in the near future. It would take a lot to pry him out of Vancouver, much, much more than a deal based around Raffi Torres that's for sure.

Cyborg Yzerman 09-17-2009 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Griffin (Post 21144319)
Bieksa is more or less the Canucks #1 overall d-man, although I see Edler passing him in the near future. It would take a lot to pry him out of Vancouver, much, much more than a deal based around Raffi Torres that's for sure.

pal, on HF, you accept what we offer, and like it. That's just how it's done.

Viqsi 09-17-2009 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkeye19 (Post 21145222)
pal, on HF, you accept what we offer, and like it. That's just how it's done.

But we didn't actually offer anything, so there's nothing for him to accept yet.
;)

Skraut 09-18-2009 06:57 AM

Quote:

be careful what you ask for...
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=681839
Quote:

E(0) has blog'd a rumor that Chicago is (still) actively shopping Campbell in pursuit of a top-6 LW.
would never happen thankfully.

Jimayo 09-18-2009 07:39 AM

^Is there a GM braindead enough to pick up that contract? I still can't believe they made Campbell the fourth highest paid D in the league(at the time anyways, I dunno if it still holds).

I can't believe I was in the minority on another hockey board when I said that is the worst contract offer I have ever seen. Had a lengthy argument with some dbag about it(who wanted to argue that the nucks offer to Mats Sundin was worse).

blahblah 09-18-2009 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimayo (Post 21148024)
^Is there a GM braindead enough to pick up that contract? I still can't believe they made Campbell the fourth highest paid D in the league(at the time anyways, I dunno if it still holds).

I can't believe I was in the minority on another hockey board when I said that is the worst contract offer I have ever seen. Had a lengthy argument with some dbag about it(who wanted to argue that the nucks offer to Mats Sundin was worse).

Chi knew what they were getting when they signed him and he's delivering. I find it hard to be that critical of Chicago when the Rangers have Redden and Rozsival. 11.5 cap hit .vs. 7.1? Please. The league is littered with crappy contracts.

Back to the OP. Who knows. I'm not targeting anyone. We probably aren't going to take on salary so other things have to happen as well. It's not like we're sitting here as a big market club with 5 million to spend to reach the cap wondering how we are going to spend it. Trying to name a name is just going to end up fustrating me.

Double-Shift Lassť 09-18-2009 08:48 AM

Quote:

I'm not sure it's this simple. If the other team has a salary cap problem as you suggest, it's less likely they;d be willing to take salary in return, which is pretty much what the Jackets' budget would require.

Add to that they'd have to be willing not only to take salary, but the specific player(s) Howson is willing to part with. I think this is why the pursuit of an additional defenseman has gone the way it has.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blahblah (Post 21148446)
Back to the OP. Who knows. I'm not targeting anyone. We probably aren't going to take on salary so other things have to happen as well. It's not like we're sitting here as a big market club with 5 million to spend to reach the cap wondering how we are going to spend it. Trying to name a name is just going to end up fustrating me.

This.

Viqsi 09-18-2009 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blahblah (Post 21148446)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť (Post 21148511)
This.

I still say Modin for Van Ryn is perfect. ;)

blahblah 09-18-2009 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viqsi (Post 21148826)
I still say Modin for Van Ryn is perfect. ;)

lol. Indeed. Perfect for the 25-30 games Van Ryn is playing.

Viqsi 09-18-2009 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blahblah (Post 21149459)
lol. Indeed. Perfect for the 25-30 games Van Ryn is playing.

Oh, c'mon, be fair. Both of the players carry a significant injury risk, and yet both of them provide exactly the sort of skillset the team needs, and the salaries are just about the same.

Sure, if one of the players goes uninjured then that team gets a steal, but that could just as easily go either way.

blahblah 09-18-2009 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viqsi (Post 21150015)
Oh, c'mon, be fair. Both of the players carry a significant injury risk, and yet both of them provide exactly the sort of skillset the team needs, and the salaries are just about the same.

Nothing really unfair about what I said. Not sure if Burke shares your feeling on Modin, but if Van Ryn is in our lineup he probably helps. Not sure if it's perfect, but for us it's something we could use. So, a good fit for us when he's in the lineup. Which is exactly what I said.

This idea doesn't excite or repel me. Kind of, meh.

Viqsi 09-18-2009 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blahblah (Post 21151055)
Nothing really unfair about what I said. Not sure if Burke shares your feeling on Modin, but if Van Ryn is in our lineup he probably helps. Not sure if it's perfect, but for us it's something we could use. So, a good fit for us when he's in the lineup. Which is exactly what I said.

This idea doesn't excite or repel me. Kind of, meh.

Well, yeah, it doesn't quite have the thrill of a Heatley trade or something. I just like it for three reasons:
1) It seems to be exactly the sort of thing that benefits both teams;
2) It's low-key enough to be the sort of thing Howson would do;
3) I thought of it. ;) *ego*

blahblah 09-18-2009 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viqsi (Post 21151399)
Well, yeah, it doesn't quite have the thrill of a Heatley trade or something. I just like it for three reasons:
1) It seems to be exactly the sort of thing that benefits both teams;
2) It's low-key enough to be the sort of thing Howson would do;
3) I thought of it. ;) *ego*

Good enough reasons for me.

I wouldn't complain if it went down. While I don't think it will happen, it probably passes the sanity test more then Bieksa.

pete goegan 09-18-2009 02:18 PM

Might want to give some thought to whether Freddie would waive his NTC to go to Toronto (or are we again just assuming that everyone wants to play there, even Swedes who've already been through that media grinder once?).

blahblah 09-18-2009 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete goegan (Post 21152898)
Might want to give some thought to whether Freddie would waive his NTC to go to Toronto (or are we again just assuming that everyone wants to play there, even Swedes who've already been through that media grinder once?).

I never give thought to Modin's NTC as his health history on top of his salary is already enough of a NTC.

vecens24 09-18-2009 03:02 PM

Bieksa might be the most indispensible defenseman on the Canucks roster just becuase he's really the only one that has a physical presence and they really need that. He may be a little overpaid but he's necessary for them.

I think an interesting idea would be Tom Poti. The Caps have a bit of a logjam on the defensive end. I don't think they're really looking to move necessarily him, but they might if the right offer came along. He has a huge shot from the point and logs lots of ice time normally. Any thoughts on him?

Timeless Winter 09-18-2009 03:12 PM

Problem with Poti is that he makes $3.5 million, which means we'd have to send 3.5 back to DC.

pete goegan 09-18-2009 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blahblah (Post 21153365)
I never give thought to Modin's NTC as his health history on top of his salary is already enough of a NTC.

You're right, of course, he's really not movable. He looked good, yesterday in practice, and he brings veteran leadership and experience to a team very short on it. I'm of the opinion that he's of more value to the CBJ than to any other team. That's not to say he couldn't be traded or that it would be a mistake to do it, but I won't be either surprised or disappointed if he's here through the end of his contract. If Freddie plays in good health, I think he can be a very important contributor to this team. I know that's a big "if," but it's not that far-fetched either.