HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Confirmed with Link: Dubinsky signs (2 years, $3.7MM [$1.85M Cap Hit]) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=681865)

nyr2k2 09-17-2009 08:44 PM

Dubinsky signs (2 years, $3.7MM [$1.85M Cap Hit])

Continued from: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=679626

Discuss.

SupersonicMonkey* 09-17-2009 08:52 PM

It's ridiculous how long this conversation has been going on, and there is still no change in the actual situation.

He's got a month and a half to figure it out.

Nov. 1st is the deadline, at least that's what Sather said.

Still wonder if we could get Kessel in exchange for Dubinsky+Girardi.

gluvhand 09-17-2009 09:04 PM

Well...the one small consolation I'll get if Dubinsky moves on is I won't have to worry about a camera finding him on the bench with a finger burried two knuckles deep in a nostril digging out a nugget.

Thefalkon 09-17-2009 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey (Post 21142752)

How would we fit Kessel under the cap?

pld459666 09-17-2009 09:05 PM

Fletch, the thing about him and Callahan is that Dubinsky has proven more at teh NHL level than Callahan has and has already proven to be worth the same money that Callahan got.

That said, I understand that he's not in position to cash in, which is why a 1.4 million contract is a fair deal.

Dubi is not breaking the bank here, he's asking for a fair and equitable 1 year contract.

The point that people keep making about not having leverage is pretty poor when you are dealing with a player you hope to retain long-term.

As stated previously, this approach is not conducive to a mutually benificial longterm relationship.

What defines class to me is knowing full well that you have the upper hand, and declining to use it to your fullest advantage.

Signing Brandon to a 1.4 million dollar deal is still not signing him to what he as earned (which is at the very least as much as Callahan).

My opinion matters little I know, but if I'm in the same position, I just know that I'm always going to hold a gun to Sather's head at each and every contract negotiation.

I just feel that this is a poor way to conduct business.

Fitzy 09-17-2009 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey (Post 21142752)

That would be the second best trade Sather ever made.

Jeds2StepOpus 09-17-2009 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue (Post 21141212)
I didn't. Dubi has had this reputation going to back to Junior. He was labeled a jerk by many. And an a-hole to play against on the ice.

In fact, for all those praising Saint Brandon for saying all the "right" things..I'll beg to differ and believe he's acting like a slimey, manipulative liar. He knows how powerful the Garden voice is even at its worst..

That's an interesting tale.

Oddly, I have a good friend in Portland who's was and still is very close to the Winter Hawks daily operations. Before I ever even heard of Dubi and had no idea who the hell he was; I remember him telling me about this kid Brandon Dubinsky.

Always used to talk about how good of a player he is. How he's such a great leader on the team and really was a clutch player. Talked about how when Dubinsky first came to the Winter Hawks, he was a little squirt. Like.....5' 7" or something like that. Maybe even 5'6". And everyone thoguth he had good raw talent, but that he was so small.

Then one summer, Dubinsky shoots up in a major growth spurt and he's suddenly 5' 11" ...almost 6'. Anyway, he often talked about how he was a very confident kid....some times coming off as cocky. But that he was a very well liked guy and great teammate. Well, except by a few players (less then a handfull of players on his team.

I don't exactly recall waht season it was, either his third or fourth season with the Winter Hawks, Dubi was the Captain and he injured what I believe was his knee. IIRC, it was his knee.

The Winter Hawks were doing very well prior to his injury. But they went in the tank when Dubi went down with the injury.

When Dubi comes back, this other player's wearing the "C".

Dubi expected the "C" back when he returned from injury. But this other player doesn't want to give it up. The guy thought he was a better Captain. Nevermind the Winter Hawks were in a major tail-spin with Dubi out and that other guy witht the "C".

Anyway, things got really heated with a large majority of the team backing Dubinsky and two or three of the other guys buddies backing him.

Dubi get into a huge lockerrom brawl with the guy for the "C". With most of the team backing Dubi, it was strictly a one-on-one between Dubi and this other player.

Supposedly Dubi beat the snot of of the guy. The Coach decided to let them go out there and prove who the better Captain was.

So Dubi racks up three goals and two assists the first night back. Then goes out and racks up two goals and three assists, the following game.

Needless to say, the "C" was back on his chest.

have also heard that he's a great kid. A really good guy and an excellent teammate.

I'm not saying you're wrong and that I'm right. Not saying I'm wrong either. It is likely there's truth in both. It's just interesting how perspective can be hinged on what side your on of any given situation. And there's always a lot of rumoring, gossiping and *****-talking. So it's hard to know what the truth is.

One thing for sure, Dubi is confident in himself. And that's very important.

And I have to tell you, I prefer Dubinsky be an a-hole to play against. You don't need sweet, tender players in hockey. In fact, I hope Dubi brings more of that a-hole out on the ice with him, when he returns. I don't think he's been enough of an a-hole on the ice, thus far.

It's funny, because there have been a lot of players through out the years who thought Mark Messier was a major a-hole both in the locker room and to play against.

Not copmparing Dubi to Messier. But it's not a bad character trait, if you're the type of player dedicated to winning and dedicated to high standards.

That rubs some people the wrong way.

Anthony Mauro 09-17-2009 09:59 PM

JED: not sure your story isn't true. i believe it.

But it doesn't put anybody in a good light. Dubi comes off looking like an immature thug. The team looks like buffoons for letting their lockerroom loose like that (which I can believe, knowing the WHAWKS personnel).

Not sure, but that just comes off as trying too hard to make the situation the everyteens hockey dream come true of turning into a star athlete.

Overcomes odds of size, Injury to protagonist, showdown with antagonist, retreival of something that was once protagonists, and ultimate success for protagonist. Couldn't be more storybook haha.

mullichicken25 09-17-2009 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeds2StepOpus (Post 21143507)
That's an interesting tale.

One thing for sure, Dubi is confident in himself. And that's very important.

every good/great hockey player Ive ever played with/saw/met has a certain bit of arrogance about them

talented humble hockey players are rare to say the least

i have no doubt that Dubi is a pretty cocky *******...you can tell just by watching him.....and i, for one, love it

WhipNash27 09-17-2009 10:30 PM

Every time I open up HFBoards I look at the stickys hoping to see "Rangers Sign Dubinsky" and every time I don't see it there, I get annoyed.

We need a resolution to this garbage, either sign him or trade him already.

asparkoflife 09-17-2009 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 (Post 21144806)
Every time I open up HFBoards I look at the stickys hoping to see "Rangers Sign Dubinsky" and every time I don't see it there, I get annoyed.

We need a resolution to this garbage, either sign him or trade him already.

This is exactly how I feel.

The Lunatic Fridge 09-17-2009 10:52 PM

I remember talking to rangerboy and saying what will be first him signing or dubinsky thread part 2

:help::shakehead

Gardner McKay 09-17-2009 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImmortalRanger (Post 21145254)
I remember talking to rangerboy and saying what will be first him signing or dubinsky thread part 2

:help::shakehead

I say we make it to part 4, about 450 posts in before it gets resolved.

Pizza 09-17-2009 11:48 PM

I love Dubinsky. His passion, spirit and drive. Before this crap of a situation he was my favorite for the "C" someday.

But he's wrong here. He should be in camp. Take what they give him and go out and have a breakout season. Then come back to the bargaining table with solid leverage.

If he put up 60 pts or better yet 70, he'd get his money and the backing of all fans in spades.

I think most other young players in this position would be gone by now. It's a credit to him and how much the Rangers believe in him that he's still around imo.

Tender Rip 09-18-2009 12:19 AM

Sather is right that this is the time where he has the most leverage. At least to the extent that if Dubinsky doesn't cave in, Sather could make sure he isn't playing in the NHL this season absent an offer sheet coming in.

But about who is 'right' - I cannot believe Sather should be considered in the right for offering 1 year 700k to the player who figures to be NYR's first line center this season! Save for Brian Boyle, not a single player thought to be on the roster will be making that little next year.
With his role in mind and how he has played for you, its simply a lack of respect, and its no wonder Dubinsky isn't keen on signing that. Even the reported 1.4 that he wants is a bargain number.

It is not Dubinsky's responsibility that Sather has blown the money on other players, and I'm wondering what happens if this situation carries into the regular season. At that point, a team has to be cap-compliant on a day to day basis, and it would mean that there would be really tough decisions to make if someone got Dubinsky to sign an offer sheet (up to app. 3 million compensation is just a 2nd round pick), because presently there's only 1.2 million of cap-room.

I know not a lot of teams would like to do that, not least because its the Rangers and the budget would be there to retaliate in the future. But still. Imagine the Devils giving him a two year 2.8 million offer....

darko 09-18-2009 02:22 AM

Lets hope Dubi sign before this thread reaches 1000 posts. (I said the same thing in thread 2).

The Lunatic Fridge 09-18-2009 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darko (Post 21147386)
Lets hope Dubi sign before this thread reaches 1000 posts. (I said the same thing in thread 2).

Stop jinxing it! :rant:
this better be done by Oct 2nd.

Evil Sather 09-18-2009 03:52 AM

i think everyone needs to stop acting like "the backing of fans" or "the fans goodwill" matters. at all. this is about money. and all you monkeys claiming to be getting down on him or mad at him or trade him already! will be cheering when he scores a goal like everyone else.

get over yourselves

Ola 09-18-2009 04:40 AM

Jeds2StepOpus- That does hardly put Dubinsky in good light so to speak...

Everyone on a hockeyteam isn't friends, of course. But Id definitly say that things getting out of hand like that is very unusual. And last time I checked the coach hands out the C, Dubinsky obviously took it into his own hands to get a freaking letter.

And no -- I don't think Dubinsky is a cancer. I am so sick of kids/players/vets getting tags right and left for whatever reason.

But, evidently Dubinsky lost his mind last season. He played the style of a player he is not -- and never will be. He played like he was a 35 y/o Mike Modano. He is now holding out, and the situation is very questionable.

All I can say is that when/if this kid comes back he deserves to hear it as much as any player wearing rangerblue the last 30 years.

With that said, he is still young and could have a future in this org. He just needs to get his act together.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mullichicken25 (Post 21144293)
every good/great hockey player Ive ever played with/saw/met has a certain bit of arrogance about them

talented humble hockey players are rare to say the least

i have no doubt that Dubi is a pretty cocky *******...you can tell just by watching him.....and i, for one, love it

I would say that my experience is 100% the opposite.

haohmaru 09-18-2009 05:32 AM

Brooks is reporting that Dubi has lowered his asking price to 1.1/1 and 2.15/2 respectively

jas 09-18-2009 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haohmaru (Post 21147690)
Brooks is reporting that Dubi has lowered his asking price to 1.1/1 and 2.15/2 respectively

Dubinsky Lowers Asking Price

Sather should be jumping at the chance to sign him to the two-year deal. The Rangers buy away a year of arbitration, and by that time, Rozsival is off the books. Dubinsky made a concession, now it's the Rangers turn. If Dubinsky was so important to not include him in the Heatley deal, then this should be a no-brainer at this point.

haohmaru 09-18-2009 05:44 AM

Yeah, I'm on board with that - 2 years, 2.15 million. Now it's time for Sather to stow his disappointment and sign BD so he can get his butt to camp.

RangerBoy 09-18-2009 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jas (Post 21147700)
Dubinsky Lowers Asking Price

Sather should be jumping at the chance to sign him to the two-year deal. The Rangers buy away a year of arbitration, and by that time, Rozsival is off the books. Dubinsky made a concession, now it's the Rangers turn. If Dubinsky was so important to not include him in the Heatley deal, then this should be a no-brainer at this point.

Quote:

"Of the three proposals on the table, we've altered the two- and one-year proposals that we believe are reasonable given the marketplace and the Rangers' payroll," Kurt Overhardt, Dubinsky's agent, told The Post by phone late yesterday afternoon. "I think it's unfortunate that Rangers' management is treating this as a sum-zero game with this player.

"It doesn't make sense."

Quote:

While Overhardt would not provide specific information regarding the proposals, it is believed that Dubinsky is now seeking a one-year deal for approximately $1.1 million or a two-year deal for approximately $2.15 million.

General manager Glen Sather, who declined the opportunity to weigh in on his conversation yesterday with Overhardt, is believed holding fast to a one-year offer of $700,000 or a two-year offer of approximately $1.85 million

http://www.nypost.com/f/print/sports...gHDKAoOrcXdmSN

$300,000 per season is the difference between the two proposals on a two year deal.

Sather is the village idiot here.

Penny wise,pound foolish is Sather's new nickname.

Staals Eye 09-18-2009 06:04 AM

Bet ya Slats declines the offer still!!!

UAGoalieGuy 09-18-2009 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerBoy (Post 21147721)
http://www.nypost.com/f/print/sports...gHDKAoOrcXdmSN

$300,000 per season is the difference between the two proposals on a two year deal.

Sather is the village idiot here.

Penny wise,pound foolish is Sather's new nickname.

Sather should counter the two year offer at 2 years at $2 million/ year (split the difference) and if its not accpeted after a day or so, give him the 2 year $2.15 million deal.