HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Looking for Big # 23 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=68228)

Top Corner2 04-05-2004 06:43 PM

Looking for Big # 23
 
If we beat Boston this year it will be the 23rd time we've knocked them out of the playoffs.....


I wonder why they hate us so much? :dunno:

sarge88 04-05-2004 07:06 PM

Not looking to start a spitting match but to tell you the truth, I assume that most fans here are 35 or younger. I'm 33 and I vaguely remember the playoffs in the late 70's myself. My real recollections of this rivalry is of the B's beating the Habs in the playoffs since 1988.

This is not to take anything away from the Canadien teams pre - 1978, because they were dominant, but to tell you the truth I really don't care too much about what happened in the 50's, 60's and early-mid 70's.

I'm obviously a B's fan and a Celtics fan as well. But I have no connection to the Celtics teams that won 7 or 8 straight titles in the 50's (or 60's) and I sure wouldn't use those teams as ammunition when arguing with a Laker or San Antonio fan of today.

Again, not to take anything away from what the Habs did 20, 30, or 40 years ago, because they were an awesome team but those heartbreaks were that of my father and grandfather. My frame of reference continues to be the playoffs since 1988.

AltaHab 04-05-2004 07:20 PM

Your point is well taken and on all counts, correct.

I lived and breathed the '70's Habs and those games are just as important to me now as they were when they unfolded (referencing your point post 1988).

How I would love to get inside the CBC Vault and watch all those games again.

Corey 04-05-2004 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarge88
Not looking to start a spitting match but to tell you the truth, I assume that most fans here are 35 or younger. I'm 33 and I vaguely remember the playoffs in the late 70's myself. My real recollections of this rivalry is of the B's beating the Habs in the playoffs since 1988.

This is not to take anything away from the Canadien teams pre - 1978, because they were dominant, but to tell you the truth I really don't care too much about what happened in the 50's, 60's and early-mid 70's.

I'm obviously a B's fan and a Celtics fan as well. But I have no connection to the Celtics teams that won 7 or 8 straight titles in the 50's (or 60's) and I sure wouldn't use those teams as ammunition when arguing with a Laker or San Antonio fan of today.

Again, not to take anything away from what the Habs did 20, 30, or 40 years ago, because they were an awesome team but those heartbreaks were that of my father and grandfather. My frame of reference continues to be the playoffs since 1988.

That's a convenient cutoff point -- for you. I'm sure there are some very young Habs fans who would consider 2002 to be a better one.

sarge88 04-05-2004 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corey
That's a convenient cutoff point -- for you. I'm sure there are some very young Habs fans who would consider 2002 to be a better one.


Convenient isn't exactly the word I was thinking of. Relevant is more accurate given that in 1988 I was in high school and that is when I really began following the Bruins. I guess if one must live in the past, then there is nothing I can do about it.

I just ask that you take one minute and re-read the post. What is it that you don't understand? The Habs won a bunch of cups when my dad was in grade school and my grandfather was still in his 20's, great. I'm sure that the 2004 Boston Bruins are spending sleepless nights wondering why Milt Schmidt and the boys couldn't knock out the Habs in 1953. Get a grip!

As I said in the original post, I'm not trying to take anything away from the great Canadien teams of the past, I just pointed out that things that happened in sports 20-25 years before I was born, don't necessarily get me upset or give me an inferiority complex because I root for the Bruins in 2004.

Now if you want to bring up the 93 cup win? Fine, you win. But don't expect most of the Bruins fans here to go crying in their pillows because teams that their fathers only vaguely recollect lost a few games.

Brisson11 04-05-2004 09:37 PM

But we have LE SOURAY... :teach:

Brett38 04-05-2004 10:27 PM

My best series between the Habs and Bruins that I can remember was the semi-finals of 1979. Game 7 Bruins leading something like 3-1 in that final game. Lafleur ties it up on a slap shot forcing OT with under two minutes to play. You all remember it, Don Cherries two many men on the ice penalty. Trembley passes to Lambert for the tip in goal. Final score was something like 5-4 or 4-3. Habs defeat the Rangers in 5 to win the cup. The Rangers won the first game 4-1 at the Forum, but that was it.

I also remember the Bruins win in 7 in 1994. Is this right?
This one was for you Bruins fans who drop in and read our board.

I have seen every Stanley cup final game since 1973...on TV of course.
1973...Montreal defeats Chicago to win Cup.

sarge88 04-06-2004 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brett38
My best series between the Habs and Bruins that I can remember was the semi-finals of 1979. Game 7 Bruins leading something like 3-1 in that final game. Lafleur ties it up on a slap shot forcing OT with under two minutes to play. You all remember it, Don Cherries two many men on the ice penalty. Trembley passes to Lambert for the tip in goal. Final score was something like 5-4 or 4-3. Habs defeat the Rangers in 5 to win the cup. The Rangers won the first game 4-1 at the Forum, but that was it.

I also remember the Bruins win in 7 in 1994. Is this right?
This one was for you Bruins fans who drop in and read our board.

I have seen every Stanley cup final game since 1973...on TV of course.
1973...Montreal defeats Chicago to win Cup.


Yeah 1994 was a 7 game series win for the B's.

Including 1988 the Bruins have won 5 of the last 7 playoff series between the 2 teams. Winning in '88, '90,'91,'92 and '94 with the Habs winning in '89 and '02.

The Canadiens obviously won the cup in 93 but the two teams didn't play each other.

Darz 04-06-2004 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top Corner2
If we beat Boston this year it will be the 23rd time we've knocked them out of the playoffs.....


I wonder why they hate us so much? :dunno:

23rd time knocking them out of the playoffs, and who used to wear #23 for the habs....


Mr. Bob Gainey.

It seems like the stars are aligned!!!!

Jacques Strappe 04-06-2004 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarge88

The Canadiens obviously won the cup in 93 but the two teams didn't play each other.

The Bruins obviously won the cup in '72 but the two teams didn't play each other.

Blind Gardien 04-06-2004 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarge88
Not looking to start a spitting match but to tell you the truth, I assume that most fans here are 35 or younger. I'm 33 and I vaguely remember the playoffs in the late 70's myself. My real recollections of this rivalry is of the B's beating the Habs in the playoffs since 1988.

This is not to take anything away from the Canadien teams pre - 1978, because they were dominant, but to tell you the truth I really don't care too much about what happened in the 50's, 60's and early-mid 70's.

I'm obviously a B's fan and a Celtics fan as well. But I have no connection to the Celtics teams that won 7 or 8 straight titles in the 50's (or 60's) and I sure wouldn't use those teams as ammunition when arguing with a Laker or San Antonio fan of today.

Again, not to take anything away from what the Habs did 20, 30, or 40 years ago, because they were an awesome team but those heartbreaks were that of my father and grandfather. My frame of reference continues to be the playoffs since 1988.

While it's blatantly, obviously true that what the Habs did all those years ago (in fact, _any_ year other than this one, given the turnover and changes in both teams even since 2002) has no bearing on the current series...

I'd just add that many Habs fans of your age would have quite a different perspective on caring about the past. I don't think there is any team in North American pro sports where the history of the team is so interwoven with the cultural upbringing of the community. Maybe I only saw the last days of the 70's Habs glory, but in Montreal the die-hard fans from that era were generally as well-steeped in the history of the franchise as the players and others. You might be watching Guy Lafleur or Ken Dryden, but you were always aware of the torch passing back from one era to the next, of the Richards and Beliveau in the stands, of the banners and the forum "ghosts"...

Without "living in the past", that history carried an aura of its own that enveloped the fans in so many great stories, from Plante down to Morenz, and I can remember hungrily devouring all the various books and articles written on that lore. You could talk Richard vs. Lafleur with your dad or the guy in the seat behind you, but you both were constantly aware of the march of history in it all. The Habs' past was inextricably linked to being a fan in those days.

A lot of that link has been severed today, of course, and I don't imagine that even the most reverant of the new generation of Habs fans can ever quite grasp what things used to be like in that respect. There's too much milk spilled under the bridge, too much commercialisation, too much gimmickry (Turgeon and the "torch"? C'mon), it's like the dark ages descended and the cathedral was razed by barbarian hordes. Much has been lost. I don't think it will ever be the same again. But most of us still CARE, without necessarily being blinded to the realities of the present.

sarge88 04-07-2004 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
While it's blatantly, obviously true that what the Habs did all those years ago (in fact, _any_ year other than this one, given the turnover and changes in both teams even since 2002) has no bearing on the current series...

I'd just add that many Habs fans of your age would have quite a different perspective on caring about the past. I don't think there is any team in North American pro sports where the history of the team is so interwoven with the cultural upbringing of the community. Maybe I only saw the last days of the 70's Habs glory, but in Montreal the die-hard fans from that era were generally as well-steeped in the history of the franchise as the players and others. You might be watching Guy Lafleur or Ken Dryden, but you were always aware of the torch passing back from one era to the next, of the Richards and Beliveau in the stands, of the banners and the forum "ghosts"...

Without "living in the past", that history carried an aura of its own that enveloped the fans in so many great stories, from Plante down to Morenz, and I can remember hungrily devouring all the various books and articles written on that lore. You could talk Richard vs. Lafleur with your dad or the guy in the seat behind you, but you both were constantly aware of the march of history in it all. The Habs' past was inextricably linked to being a fan in those days.

A lot of that link has been severed today, of course, and I don't imagine that even the most reverant of the new generation of Habs fans can ever quite grasp what things used to be like in that respect. There's too much milk spilled under the bridge, too much commercialisation, too much gimmickry (Turgeon and the "torch"? C'mon), it's like the dark ages descended and the cathedral was razed by barbarian hordes. Much has been lost. I don't think it will ever be the same again. But most of us still CARE, without necessarily being blinded to the realities of the present.


I totally understand how much the Habs teams of the past are a source of pride for the fans. My only point was that being on the other side of the rivalry, things that happened 40 or 50 years ago don't really affect me negatively. I guess someone had to win the cup in the 40's, 50's and 60's, it just turned out that the Canadiens won a lot of them. But that fact doesn't bother me any more than if the Rangers, Hawks or Red Wings won them.

English Hab 04-07-2004 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarge88
Convenient isn't exactly the word I was thinking of. Relevant is more accurate given that in 1988 I was in high school and that is when I really began following the Bruins. I guess if one must live in the past, then there is nothing I can do about it.

I just ask that you take one minute and re-read the post. What is it that you don't understand? The Habs won a bunch of cups when my dad was in grade school and my grandfather was still in his 20's, great. I'm sure that the 2004 Boston Bruins are spending sleepless nights wondering why Milt Schmidt and the boys couldn't knock out the Habs in 1953. Get a grip!

As I said in the original post, I'm not trying to take anything away from the great Canadien teams of the past, I just pointed out that things that happened in sports 20-25 years before I was born, don't necessarily get me upset or give me an inferiority complex because I root for the Bruins in 2004.

Now if you want to bring up the 93 cup win? Fine, you win. But don't expect most of the Bruins fans here to go crying in their pillows because teams that their fathers only vaguely recollect lost a few games.

Once again a very vaulable post and definately full of relevant and constructive cristisms and comments.. however my friend i think you'd be arguing until you were blue in the face with some people on here considering the age of them, and how extremely biased and unobjectional these kids can be... Note some of you actually can hold civil discussions....

once again though Sarge88 a good read and a very good point.... Now all we can do is wait and see.... along with those high school kids, and see what happens in this series and where these franchises will take their fans!!!!

Cloudigger 04-07-2004 12:22 PM

On another note I always wondered why History counted so much to other Hab fans. I mean I am a Montreal fan .. but its not because of Maurice RIchard wich I dident see play so even that I respect. What old habs players did it doesent mean anything to the team right now ( and by that I dont mean to each player individually)...

We had the most successfull hockey franchise in NHL history but our recent history is nothing to boast about.. I like the team .. but come on to say that we are going to beat the Bruins because we beat them 22 time out of 27 ( not sure about the numbers) playoff encounters is ridiculous... we are going to beat them because we are simply a better team :)

btw It was not an attack on the starter of this thread more my opinion on the Habs history...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:08 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.