HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Berger: Berger lost libel suit against Avery (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=682777)

Chimp 09-20-2009 03:36 AM

Berger lost libel suit against Avery

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...G3jm4hlsp0EbOM

Quote:

The Rangers' Sean Avery won a settlement in his libel case against Toronto radio reporter Howard Berger following mediation earlier this month, Slap Shots has learned. The suit was brought in the aftermath of the pregame incident in Toronto on Nov. 10, 2007, after which Berger alleged that Avery had made comments to Jason Blake relating to the Leaf winger's previously diagnosed cancer. Terms of the settlement are confidential. Avery has at least one more pending suit relating to the incident.
Remember that incident between Blake, Tucker and Avery? Well, you also remember some less renounced media persons writing bullcrap about it (that Avery had thrown insults against Blake that was about cancer, which was false)? Berger just got served. I believe he's not that well liked among Toronto fans anyway.

Thanks to RangerBoy for digging it up on our board. I just guessed it could be of some interest to some of you.

Pierre Gotye 09-20-2009 05:23 AM

Berger got attention with the Leafs when the team was miserable, now he is starting to look like a tool.

Burke consistently serves him up at the plate.

Carl Hagelins Flow 09-20-2009 10:45 AM

Glad Avery got the last laugh here.

Berger is a ******* moron. I don't care who the guy or what his reputation is, but lying and making sweeping claims without any facts to back it up is lazy and unprofessional journalism.

dubey 09-20-2009 10:48 AM

HAHAHAHAHA

That's awesome!!!

FlareKnight 09-20-2009 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubey (Post 21184770)
HAHAHAHAHA

That's awesome!!!

It's so true :laugh:! I'm loving it.

LeafsGuru93 09-20-2009 10:53 AM

I dislike Avery more then anyone but what Berger did, I hope he gets fired for that. Lying like that, about Avery said something about Blake's (or anyone's) cancer is the lowest thing anyone can do in journalism.

BIG BLUE 09-20-2009 10:55 AM

I've been hoping something would get this guy fired...It would be a breath of fresh air to hear a new Leaf beat reporter for the Fan and Hockeycentral :yo:

sgupca 09-20-2009 11:00 AM

Good,

Berger is either the 1a or 1b (depending on where you rank Cox) as one of the worst sports personalities in Canada.

It's nice to see he being the one chased for once.

Jordan 09-20-2009 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgupca (Post 21184899)
Good,

Berger is either the 1a or 1b (depending on where you rank Cox) as one of the worst sports personalities in Canada.

It's nice to see he being the one chased for once.

How dare you not give credit to Steve Simmons!

sgupca 09-20-2009 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan (Post 21184936)
How dare you not give credit to Steve Simmons!

Simmonds is hard on my head....lol

but IMO he finishes 1c to Berger and Cox.

ACC1224 09-20-2009 11:14 AM

Any idea what the settlement was? Be awesome if they made Howie Avery's Butler, something like that.

02m3smg 09-20-2009 11:16 AM

Fire Berger, Simmons, Cox and 2-3 of the other pundits. Replace with PPP and the others. :)

Cheli 09-20-2009 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgupca (Post 21184953)
Simmonds is hard on my head....lol

but IMO he finishes 1c to Berger and Cox.

IMO Cox is the best of the three. He's usually very predictable with his articles, but he has some sources. He knew who the Leafs were chasing in the off-season, he was one of the first sources on the Kubina and Kessel trades.

As for the original topic, good riddance. Stupid thing to say with no real source.

Schenn 09-20-2009 11:32 AM

Any chance Berger stops writing now?:)

LeafsGuru93 09-20-2009 11:56 AM

Quote:

Berger said a Ranger player told him about Avery's alleged comments about Blake. Avery had an incident with Darcy Tucker in pre-game warmups.
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverTheCap (Post 21185047)
I wonder if Berger is making that up, trying to place blame on someone else, or if one of the Rangers really did tell Berger about those supposed comments.

Pretty messed up of that Ranger player if true. I know some teammates don't like Avery but that's not right. Wonder who it was...

^ ^ from the Rangers' board.