HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Confirmed with Link: Boullion signs with Preds (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=683135)

Jonesey 09-21-2009 10:13 AM

Boullion signs with Preds

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...-nashville.php

Jonesey 09-21-2009 10:17 AM

annnnnnd here's the translation..

Quote:

Finally, Francis Bouillon will continue his career in the uniform of the Nashville Predators. The Press has learned that the defender of 33 years said yes to an offer of Predators to a season.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed, but Bouillon had accepted a deal that would bring in less than one million dollars for the season.

Although the supply of predators is significantly less than the salary he touched last season ($ 1.8 million) with the Canadiens, Bouillon had received assurances can be the fourth defender on the team. In the end, is what led him to accept the proposal of Nashville.

The Predators are expected to announce the hiring tomorrow when Bouillon will undergo medical examinations in Nashville.

In recent days, the veteran defender had received calls from the Boston Bruins, the New York Rangers, Pittsburgh Penguins and San Jose Sharks. The latter has in fact submitted a bid of $ 600 000 for a season last week, but the defender had refused.

worstfaceoffmanever 09-21-2009 10:28 AM

I like the pickup. Gives us exactly what we've been missing on the blue line. Shame he isn't a little bigger.

That bit about being the fourth defender worries me, though. Bouillon isn't much more than a reserve defender at this point in his career. Playing him in favor of Laakso would be a bad move on our part.

BoNeS42 09-21-2009 10:32 AM

Trust me... He's not big, but it feels like he's big like Chara when he plays the game in a good shape.

barrytrotzsneck 09-21-2009 10:35 AM

I like it. Much better option than bringing back DeVries or Chelios. I'm a big fan of FB, always played his heart out in Montreal. Most of all, I think he's "safer" than Sulzer at this point, assuming that's whose spot he just took.

Some may remember that he played briefly for us in 02-03, before getting claimed off waivers by Montreal.

Weber Suter
Hamhuis Bouillion
Laakso Klein

RollingPredFan 09-21-2009 10:44 AM

I like it too, we were a bit too young and green for my liking.

Joe T Choker 09-21-2009 10:45 AM

I vaguely remember the first 4 games he was with us the first time

BigFatCat999 09-21-2009 11:17 AM

Jesus this guys is thick. 5'8" 198lbs. 5G 4A in 54 games. Habs fans say he's Tootoo on defense.

OpenWheel 09-21-2009 11:19 AM

I didn't feel we needed a vet. I'd rather our young guys get ice time at the NHL level.

But this doesn't change much. It just probably means we carry seven defenseman and Blum (or Laakso) still gets sent down. My bet is we'll still probably carry two rookies.

At least next year our fans can be over Ryan Ellis' lack of size.

Looks like Trotz plan this year is to stick with Predators hockey, only in spades. He had Tootoo for the forwards, and now he gets one for the defense. Prepare for tight to the vest hockey, plenty of fights, and hopefully we'll win a lot of games 2-1 or 3-2 in overtime.

Maybe Bouillon will be on the ice when Colin Wilson is, to have somebody else to do the fighting if teams test Trotzies prize rookie.

dulzhok 09-21-2009 11:26 AM

I'm lukewarm on this.

I think we desperately needed a vet dman. Bouillon fills that need, but he's the kind of guy you get when you wait till the last minute looking for a cheap vet.

But yeah, better to have him than not, IMO. Going with Klien, Suzler, Laakso was a lot of risk. Not to mention, what happens when one of the big 3 go down? Glad we got him.

predfan24 09-21-2009 11:52 AM

I like it, I am not nor do I think the coaches are, sold on Klein as the 4th D-man. That spot could still be up for grabs all season though. I like the fact this makes the young guys earn a spot rather than just hand it to them on a plate.

AdmiralsShortShifts 09-21-2009 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OpenWheel (Post 21199551)
But this doesn't change much. It just probably means we carry seven defenseman and Blum (or Laakso) still gets sent down. My bet is we'll still probably carry two rookies.

I agree with that. I think this seals Franson's fate....and Blum's. It sure sounds like Laakso passed by Franson on the depth chart this training camp. I'm guessing that Sulzer and Laakso are your two rookies - and Bouillon is your 7th defenseman.

(That's based on reading stuff - since I haven't seen any training camp action myself. So take it for what it's worth.)

Panopticon 09-21-2009 11:55 AM

****... Goodbye Laakso then, I guess... this was the last season he had any chance with the Preds... Blum and Ellis will pass him by next year. Oh well, maybe he'll come back to Finland then where nobody really values him but at least I get to see him play.

Pisses me off. Not just that he gets sent down, but mostly because by the sounds of it he deserves a roster spot ahead of Klein and Sulzer at the moment, but he won't get it because he's the easiest to send down...

EDIT: If he's just the 7th d-man like some of you suggest, then I guess I would be fine with it.

BigFatCat999 09-21-2009 11:56 AM

Anyone else find it interesting that Bouillon would be coming in while Ryan Ellis would still be in camp? Good teacher?

Soundgarden 09-21-2009 11:58 AM

Will this ruin our chances at Hamerlik? :sarcasm:

OpenWheel 09-21-2009 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panopticon (Post 21200032)
EDIT: If he's just the 7th d-man like some of you suggest, then I guess I would be fine with it.

There's still camp and games to go, but to me it's been sounding as if Laakso was ahead of Franson, and maybe also Blum. So if we carry seven, he has a good chance.

I have been assuming Laakso makes the team and Franson and Blum don't. But no way for this fan to tell. Just going by the same stuff you've heard. I've only listened on the radio and seen a view video clips. No live visuals...

Paranoid Android 09-21-2009 12:10 PM

Guess the coaching staff doesn't feel comfortable with the group of young guys we have? Either way, I really like this signing. Downgrade from Zanon defensively, but upgrades in grit, size, and "offense" (my grandmother would be an offensive upgrade compared to Zanon).

I want to see his salary though. Better not be over $800K

BigFatCat999 09-21-2009 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdmiralsShortShifts (Post 21200030)
I agree with that. I think this seals Franson's fate....and Blum's. It sure sounds like Laakso passed by Franson on the depth chart this training camp. I'm guessing that Sulzer and Laakso are your two rookies - and Bouillon is your 7th defenseman.

(That's based on reading stuff - since I haven't seen any training camp action myself. So take it for what it's worth.)

Agreed. I see Laasko, Sulzer, and Bouillon cycling.

BigFatCat999 09-21-2009 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predanerd (Post 21200243)
Guess the coaching staff doesn't feel comfortable with the group of young guys we have? Either way, I really like this signing. Downgrade from Zanon defensively, but upgrades in grit, size, and "offense" (my grandmother would be an offensive upgrade compared to Zanon).

I want to see his salary though. Better not be over $800K

RDS says $750,000

OpenWheel 09-21-2009 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdmiralsShortShifts (Post 21200030)

I forgot about Franson. I have been assuming Laakso was going to make the team and then maybe Blum if we carried seven. But said maybe Blum makes it as the other rook besides Sulzer, instead of Laakso, to not get too far ahead. There's still time for more competition.

But anyway, I'm betting we carry seven and this won't take a rookie spot. Totally conceivable that Sulzer is the only rook, and we carry six. But I doubt it. Makes more sense to have enough ready to go and healthy scratch. Bouillon will probably get that a number of times so Sulzer and Laakso don't get put on scratch too often.

RonFournier 09-21-2009 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever (Post 21198913)
I like the pickup. Gives us exactly what we've been missing on the blue line. Shame he isn't a little bigger.

Trust me I'd take Bouillon over 6"7 Hal Gill any day of the week.

Jarnberg 09-21-2009 12:37 PM

Solid vet pickup for a young blueline. He can play the number 7 position and move up when injuries occur. I do not think that he will replace Laakso.

OpenWheel 09-21-2009 12:38 PM

Hey RonFournier, you have me very pleased with this signing after reading your comments in the thread on the trade rumors board. I like where you not only say he's a very good fighter and "fights when it counts" but also that you thought last year he was a very good d-man. Some of the gnashing of teeth from fans of other teams who were hoping to pick this guy up was good too.

But the best comment was when you said:

"Look out for the "Bouillon Funnel", when a guy tries to get past him on the boards side, he NEVER misses. And he hits very hard."

:yo:

darth5 09-21-2009 12:56 PM

A decent signing to fill a gap.
Felt we would get someone with experience here, at least the guy is not a pylon, and I agree he plays with passion. An upgrade over DeVries (play level, not experience) and Zanon in my book. And I concur with many that Laakso is the other guy.

Yzerplan 09-21-2009 01:00 PM

I assume with the Boullion signing the Preds brass didn't feel comfortable with their depth and younger guys like Sulzer, Laasko, Klein and Franson aren't where they were hoping they'd be?