HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Hockey stick lie??? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=683298)

hkyplayer03 09-21-2009 06:06 PM

Hockey stick lie???

I've just put in a order for a se16 iginla 75 flex lie 5.5. If I cut off a good four inches, how will this impact the lie? Should I really be buying a lie 4 stick to compensate for the amount being cut off? My playing style is suitable for a lie 5. I'm 5'5.

SouthpawTRK 09-22-2009 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hkyplayer03 (Post 21205533)
I've just put in a order for a se16 iginla 75 flex lie 5.5. If I cut off a good four inches, how will this impact the lie? Should I really be buying a lie 4 stick to compensate for the amount being cut off? My playing style is suitable for a lie 5. I'm 5'5.

I would imagine that if you cut down the shaft, it would inadvertently change the lie of the stick. However, I'm not sure how much it would it affect the lie of the stick by cutting off four inches. Although I'm a rookie when it comes to hockey (I'm more knowledgeable with golf), I know that if you cut down a golf shaft by 3/4", you will change the lie of the club by one degree. Hopefully, a senior member can chime in to validate this.

BadHammy* 09-22-2009 01:17 AM

Cutting a stick down changes the wear more from the heel to more near the toe. It does not change actual lie but it changes it functionally, up to 0.5 lie, approximately. Basically, it makes the lie a little higher.

sirpipsalot 09-22-2009 08:54 AM

Isn't that only true if he is taller? That stick is a 5.5 for a guy that is 5-10. But since he is 5-5 i would think it wouldn't change.

Crosbyfan 09-22-2009 09:59 AM

It doesn't change the lie of the stick. It may effect the lie you want, or how the blade rests on the ice, but the lie itself, the angle of the shaft to bottom of blade, is (obviously) unaffected.

Jarick 09-22-2009 10:45 AM

Like Crosbyfan says, it doesn't change the lie, but shortening the stick changes the angle of the blade to the ice when the middle of the blade is flat on the ice.

If the lie was perfect for you at full length, it will likely be too low when cut down, because the blade will be closer to the body and the toe will rest on the ice. If the lie was too low (i.e. the heel was resting on the ice), cutting it down will make the blade angle flatter, which is typically better.

masshky 11-27-2010 09:22 AM

(Posted this on MSH, as well)...

In regards specifically to stick lie..

Does player height, EXcluding all other factors, dictate proper lie?

For example, does a taller player require a higher lie b/c he/she naturally holds the stick higher from the ice due to height alone?

For myself personally (6'2"), even when I'm in a pro shop looking at sticks (w/o skates on), I find that most of the sticks are only making contact with the floor on the toe, and the heel is off the ground (again, most likely due to my height), indicating to me that I would need a higher lie, right? I can't possibly get low enough, especially with skates on, to use a lower lie angled stick, it seems, and get full blade contact.

I'd appreciate any feedback.

http://www.sportsgiant-dev.com/unive...bladelies2.jpg

kr580 11-27-2010 12:53 PM

No, proper lie is dictated by a combination of things. Height, knee bend, skating/playing/shooting style all dictate the lie you should use collectively. Use whatever works for you.

I use a 56" stick and a 6 lie. If I used a 52" stick with the same lie it would be on the toe like yours, if I used 60" stick it would be on the heel the whole time. The way the blade lays on the ice changes for the player with stick length. Work on getting a stick length you like, (a good starting point is having the knob come up to about your chin in skates standing upright,) then figure out what lie you need to get the blade to sit flat when you're holding it in a proper hockey stance (in skates.)

You don't seem tall enough that you should be only making contact on the toe in a proper hockey stance, something's up there. Maybe you need to develop a deeper knee bend? As I said, I use a 56" stick at 5' 10". Most sticks are around 60" so I imagine they're close to the size you need as-is. Maybe ask a LHS employee to help you figure it out?