HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Caps win the Lottery (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=68419)

pld459666 04-06-2004 01:13 PM

Caps win the Lottery

So maybe a deal can be made?

Let's say our 1st rounder, 2 2nd rounders Lundmark and we forefit the cash in the Jagr deal.

rw88 04-06-2004 01:14 PM

Caps Won Lottery

I don't know if you guys knew this yet. Rangers stay at #6

Bluenote13 04-06-2004 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S_O_T_I
I don't know if you guys knew this yet. Rangers stay at #6

I think i knew once i clicked on the link that read 'Caps Win the Lottery' :bonk:

Shadowtron 04-06-2004 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluenote13
I think i knew once i clicked on the link that read 'Caps Win the Lottery' :bonk:

Umm…just for my own peace of mind, you knew SOTI’s original post was merged into this one right?

in the hall 04-06-2004 01:46 PM

yes it was... anyway caps are not trading that pick, they tanked the season for ovechkin and already have 3 first rounders, i feel pissed off because they flushed the season on purpose and will probably do so again

i hope the rangers have one of the studs fall to them if not move up

Kodiak 04-06-2004 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by in the hall
yes it was... anyway caps are not trading that pick, they tanked the season for ovechkin and already have 3 first rounders, i feel pissed off because they flushed the season on purpose and will probably do so again

i hope the rangers have one of the studs fall to them if not move up

I don't see what the Caps did that was so different from what we did. They started off with a veteran team, and tried to make the playoffs. When that didn't work they held a fire sale to restock the system and fielded a mostly AHL-calibre team.

BigE 04-06-2004 01:50 PM

Ranger fans have suffered more than Caps fans but then again I think the last two years for Pittsburgh have been just as bad as the 7 for us. :)

At least Phoenix didn't win it. ;)

Bluenote13 04-06-2004 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowtron
Umm…just for my own peace of mind, you knew SOTI’s original post was merged into this one right?

Sorry, just a little Soti bashing, my mistake :D

kiwikid 04-06-2004 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigE
Ranger fans have suffered more than Caps fans but then again I think the last two years for Pittsburgh have been just as bad as the 7 for us. :)

At least Phoenix didn't win it. ;)

Does anyone know (or figure out) what the pick #s are overall for the Rangers in the first 2 rounds. (i.e #6, #22. #58............)

in the hall 04-06-2004 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodiak
I don't see what the Caps did that was so different from what we did. They started off with a veteran team, and tried to make the playoffs. When that didn't work they held a fire sale to restock the system and fielded a mostly AHL-calibre team.

well the capitals tanked since day one, rangers played it out 2/3 of the season till they decided to rebuild... caps went as far as starting their ECHL starter/5th string goaltender and sent down all their hot prospects.. that left a bad taste in my mouth, its clear their intentions were to tank not just rebuild

Ocelot 04-06-2004 02:43 PM

Man the pens fans I'm sure are upset! Big loss for them.

Bluenote13 04-06-2004 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y2J129
Man the pens fans I'm sure are upset! Big loss for them.

I think Malkin is a good runner-up prize, head injury and all, but it is kinda weird that the last 5 years no last place finisher has won the lottery.

n8 04-06-2004 04:31 PM

how serious are malkin and olesz's concussions? will they drop at all? barker (big D) and ladd (LW (PF?)) are probably on the top of my list now.

Theoren Fan 04-06-2004 04:50 PM

:lol :lol :lol

Poor Mario

NYR2 04-06-2004 05:08 PM

Eh. The tanking has got to stop, it's just ridiculous. Isn't there a way they could change it so teams stop tanking to get a better chance at the top pick?

I'm just glad Phoenix didn't win it.

Kodiak 04-06-2004 05:24 PM

Quote:

well the capitals tanked since day one, rangers played it out 2/3 of the season till they decided to rebuild... caps went as far as starting their ECHL starter/5th string goaltender and sent down all their hot prospects.. that left a bad taste in my mouth, its clear their intentions were to tank not just rebuild

They had a veteran team that did not play up to expectations, same as us. They just fell out of the race faster than we did, so their fire sale started before ours did. Selling off veteran talent from a losing team isn't tanking, it's rebuilding. To imply that a good team threw away their season for a shot at some 18-year-old Russian kid is ridiculous.

Kubera55 04-06-2004 05:28 PM

Eh, other than winning the lottery outright, this couldn't have gone better for Ranger fans.

Washington, in a major media market with cash to spend, with it's stocked farm system and even greater bevvy of draft picks than the Rangers, will not even have to pick up the phone when Sather calls to make his pitch. What can the Rangers concievably offer the Caps that they don't already have? Cash? They're owned by a Billionaire. Picks? They've got three 1st rounders this season alone. Why would they want some 2nd rounders? Prospects? Outside of Tjutin and Jessiman I can't imagine the Rangers having anyone who'd be of much interest at all to the Caps. And Jessiman is coming off a bad year, and Sather would have to be demented to trade Tjutin away right now. (Well, he is, but he's not that demented . . . I hope.)

So by having Washington win the lottery, the Rangers are prevented from making some hideous Lindros-like deal that'll cripple the franchise for another 7 years. And Ovechkin won't even play in the Rangers division! Sweet.

Good luck Caps fans . . .

AJ1982 04-06-2004 06:55 PM

Quote:

They had a veteran team that did not play up to expectations, same as us. They just fell out of the race faster than we did, so their fire sale started before ours did. Selling off veteran talent from a losing team isn't tanking, it's rebuilding. To imply that a good team threw away their season for a shot at some 18-year-old Russian kid is ridiculous.

Washington was among the worst 8 or 9 teams in the standings before the fire sale actually happened.

Kodiak 04-06-2004 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJ1982
Washington was among the worst 8 or 9 teams in the standings before the fire sale actually happened.

That's why I said they were a veteran team that didn't live up to expectations. If they hadn't fallen far out of the playoff race, they wouldn't have had the fire sale. If we hadn't fallen far out of the playoff race (also in the bottom 10 before the trades), we wouldn't have had our fire sale. Did we "tank" our season or did we start rebuilding?

in the hall 04-06-2004 10:48 PM

Quote:

That's why I said they were a veteran team that didn't live up to expectations. If they hadn't fallen far out of the playoff race, they wouldn't have had the fire sale. If we hadn't fallen far out of the playoff race (also in the bottom 10 before the trades), we wouldn't have had our fire sale. Did we "tank" our season or did we start rebuilding?

did we start our fifth string goaltender, sent down our better prospects at any time this season?

why was washington looking to deal Jagr since last year, their best player, one of the biggest reasons they made the playoffs last year despite him underacheiving..

Skroob* 04-07-2004 01:13 AM

Jagr and Holik cost us about 4-6 points on their own, IMO. If we cut their ice time, perhaps we would have been in 4th or 5th.

Park #2 04-07-2004 11:51 AM

Quote:

did we start our fifth string goaltender, sent down our better prospects at any time this season?

why was washington looking to deal Jagr since last year, their best player, one of the biggest reasons they made the playoffs last year despite him underacheiving..

Washington was looking to deal Jagr because of his salary, his lackluster play, and his attitude in the locker room. Washington couldn't have $11 million locked into 1 player (who was underperforming both on the ice and in the room) facing the likelihood of a cap.

BigE 04-07-2004 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwikid
Does anyone know (or figure out) what the pick #s are overall for the Rangers in the first 2 rounds. (i.e #6, #22. #58............)

Right now you could, yeah but they would just change again because of all the compensatory picks to be added into the 2nd round from last years UFA signings. A team like Dallas will get one for Hatcher, Edmonton for Marchment (likely to be a third or fourth round) and Leetch, San Jose for Messier (3rd or 4th) etc.

BigE 04-07-2004 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kubera55
And Jessiman is coming off a bad year, and Sather would have to be demented to trade Tjutin away right now. (Well, he is, but he's not that demented . . . I hope.)

Sather isn't going to trade Tyutin.

in the hall 04-07-2004 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigE
Sather isn't going to trade Tyutin.

unless he is in love with ovechkin.. :shakehead :banghead: :mad: