HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Goaltending Problem (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=684382)

OprtnShtdwn 09-24-2009 04:43 PM

Goaltending Problem

I'm currently playing in a league as goalie... and I've found that I start to get bored, and lose focus in the game. My team isn't very good and i've been facing alot of shots on a usual basis (upwards of 35 to 40+ shots a game). I just start to lose focus around the 2nd Period.

That said, anyone else have this problem, and does anyone have any tips toward getting myself to focus for the full 60 minutes. I can't figure out why i'm losing focus out there, especially with the amount of shots i'm seeing.

AIREAYE 09-24-2009 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MPR15 (Post 21252635)
I'm currently playing in a league as goalie... and I've found that I start to get bored, and lose focus in the game. My team isn't very good and i've been facing alot of shots on a usual basis (upwards of 35 to 40+ shots a game). I just start to lose focus around the 2nd Period.

That said, anyone else have this problem, and does anyone have any tips toward getting myself to focus for the full 60 minutes. I can't figure out why i'm losing focus out there, especially with the amount of shots i'm seeing.

one would think that if you faced LESS shots, you'd be bored..but 35-40? I don't understand

OprtnShtdwn 09-24-2009 08:15 PM

It's like I lose interest. I didn't have this problem before i got injured. I just need to figure out some way to keep my head in the game i guess. Because I'm losing focus, i'm making stupid mistakes, such as not coming out far enough to take the angle.

I just need to find a way to improve my focus. I've heard that Marty Turco has had this problem.

qwertysac 09-24-2009 08:15 PM

Sounds like you're unmotivated because you think/know you're not going to win no matter what, since your team isn't very good.

DevsFan84 09-24-2009 10:44 PM

I have the same problem sometimes. I'm playing on two teams right now...neither of them are bad, but we have a short bench and by the second period everyone on the ice is exhausted- myself included. Then I lose focus and start letting in goals. Its not a physical thing, it just starts to get frustrating when I know we have no chance of winning. My mind starts saying..."whats the point of even trying?"

So, here is the mindset that works for me. Instead of focusing on the score of the game, I make it a personal mission not to let in another goal. When I'm on the receiving end of a 3 on 0, I tell myself "bring it" (and sometimes motion "come here" toward the opposing players with my glove, but my arrogance is a whole different post)

Sometimes, I need to find a personal goal to keep myself motivated when my team is sucking. Maybe that will work for you, might be worth a try.

StrangeVision 09-25-2009 12:06 AM

Do you still enjoy being a goalie?

Hockeyfan68 09-25-2009 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MPR15 (Post 21256926)
It's like I lose interest. I didn't have this problem before i got injured. I just need to figure out some way to keep my head in the game i guess. Because I'm losing focus, i'm making stupid mistakes, such as not coming out far enough to take the angle.

I just need to find a way to improve my focus. I've heard that Marty Turco has had this problem.

Our goaltender has this issue when he is in goal. He loses focus and lets in soft goals after making incredible saves for half of the game. As soon as he is behind a couple of goals because defensively we suck he falls apart and cannot focus.

he also has made 40+ saves sometimes yet still loses the game.

I do not know an answer for you but this is so similar to our goaltender I had to comment.

Giroux tha Damaja 09-25-2009 02:51 AM

Take a break after this season is what I would do. You can't make yourself want to win.

rinkrat22 09-25-2009 07:27 AM

try not to think of the game as a whole, think of it in 5 min or so increments. "I am going to be perfect for the next 5 minutes" skaters have to play shift to shift. just break the game up so it doesn't seem so overwhelming.

Penguins23 09-25-2009 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevsFan84 (Post 21260296)
So, here is the mindset that works for me. Instead of focusing on the score of the game, I make it a personal mission not to let in another goal. When I'm on the receiving end of a 3 on 0, I tell myself "bring it" (and sometimes motion "come here" toward the opposing players with my glove, but my arrogance is a whole different post)

Sometimes, I need to find a personal goal to keep myself motivated when my team is sucking. Maybe that will work for you, might be worth a try.

That works for me. I try to vision my next save too which I find can help.

CaptBrannigan 09-25-2009 11:39 AM

To ensure I don't lose focus as a goalie I try to do little things to separate the game into little chunks. For example I will skate back to my goal line after every whistle sometimes and treat each little stretch of play as a different "play", like in football. It's pretty much the same thing buckleboy is saying. If I'm tired or my mind is elsewhere it helps to envision the game in smaller chunks than just 3 periods.

OprtnShtdwn 09-25-2009 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StrangeVision (Post 21261421)
Do you still enjoy being a goalie?

Yea, i still do enjoy playing goalie. It's just i'm struggling with my focus. I have a game on Sunday, so i'm going to try all the tips you guys have mentioned, and i'll be sure to let you know if it helped, come Monday morning.

Thanks again guys.

Nighthock 09-25-2009 07:01 PM

Dan Cloutier? Is that you?

cody275 09-26-2009 12:24 AM

I actually had pretty much the same problem. My team wasn't very good (offensively or defensively) and I was at least 40 shots a game. I found that I became used to shot after shot, so when the ball went the other way I let my guard down to much.

To try and stay focused and keep my head in the game I started to kind of analyze the other team's methods. Usually certain players and goalies will do the same thing repeatedly even if it didn't work. Then at whistles or intermission I would talk with some of my teammates about what I saw.

I noticed that after I started to do this that I was able to stay a bit more focused on the game. It also ended up helping the team out to because I found out how to score on certain goalies in the league easier for them just by watching them play.

If none of the other stuff worked, maybe try this. Maybe it will help you too.

Hope it helps.

Gunnar Stahl 30 09-26-2009 10:07 AM

yell commands to your teammates, this way you are paying attention